Increasing return edge on chest

Hi, the return edge on the bottom of the SDS chest plate isn't huge, so i'd like to increase it a little.<br>

Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience of doing this? Any tips would be appreciated, but i'd imagine a little heat and gentle persuasion would work.

Hi, the return edge on the bottom of the SDS chest plate isn't huge, so i'd like to increase it a little.<br>

Does anyone have any ACTUAL experience of doing this? Any tips would be appreciated, but i'd imagine a little heat and gentle persuasion would work.

Is there a reason why you want to increase it?

• Like 1

Simply cut a length of pvc to shape and superglue a trim on inside , extending the lip, but not making it visibly wider from the outsiders view . <br>

Decent size lips are only really necessary if you are going for screen accurate U bracket strapping , and even then it's not exactly necessary , as the original suits had very little lip .

Is there a reason why you want to increase it?

When I say the return isn't huge, I really mean it's tiny :D I reckon it would look a bit more screen accurate if it were a touch deeper.

Simply cut a length of pvc to shape and superglue a trim on inside , extending the lip, but not making it visibly wider from the outsiders view . <br>

Decent size lips are only really necessary if you are going for screen accurate U bracket strapping , and even then it's not exactly necessary , as the original suits had very little lip .

Thanks, that's an interesting approach.

You are worrying about nothing . Original chest pieces had very small lips ...one, two mm maybe in places. Check the reference photos on this website .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You are worrying about nothing . Original chest pieces had very small lips ...one, two mm maybe in places. Check the reference photos on this website .

Exactly 

On 3/28/2016 at 10:44 PM, Rob .T . said:

You're right. I just think it's because my chest plate doesn't sit as far out as the screen shots i've seen... 4 or 5mm lip average.

(I've made small changes since this photo was taken)

jVjohXO.jpg

Return edge is to simulate armor thickness. Unless you plan on using brackets then I wouldn't worry about it. You look good Mark. That said I would suggest removing some return edge from the lower section of your shoulder bells so that they sit closer to your biceps covering more under suit material.

gallery_12157_11_613593.jpg

Return edge is to simulate armor thickness. Unless you plan on using brackets then I wouldn't worry about it. You look good Mark. That said I would suggest removing some return edge from the lower section of your shoulder bells so that they sit closer to your biceps covering more under suit material.

gallery_12157_11_613593.jpg

Thanks. Since that pic, I made new white elastic shoulder bridges, and moved the shoulder bell connection about 40mm forwards, which really helped. I'll have a look at removing some meat off them, though. :)

Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 1

Return edge is actually pretty deep under chest, way more than only 1-2 mm, big enough to be able to mount hooks with nuts and bolts like originals had, same for upper Ab, back, kidney and butt plate which also had the hooks with nuts/bolts mounted on them.

Mark (AP)

9WaYjFp.jpg

• Like 2