FX armor size

I am 6'-6'1" and about 187lbs. Uuh... mostly muscle I guess.... I'm more built than anything else. I'm right now torn between FX and AP armor. (getting the AP helmet no matter which kit I get)

I've seen countless topics and pictures on this matter, and various different people give me different answers. So I decided to start a thread about it.

Any suggestions or advise anyone might have for me?

It would be helpful to also give visual aids if you can. :D

This is a pic of me in a Follano suit, which is pretty comparable to the AP suit.

At the time I was 6'0" and weight approximately 190, and I would describe myself as not particularly in shape with a little gut:

-------------

The thighs were a little tight (they hung a little low, but they were not shimmed). The rest seemed to fit just fine. Granted I did look a little big in the suit (larger black areas) but I felt that overall I didn't look like I was crammed in the thing (I hope).

Depending on your shoulders/biceps you may have a little trouble with the bells (GF at least) because they tend to be much more narrow than FX.

Some of the other guys might be able to talk about chest size, the ANH chest is smaller and may be a problem area (anyone?)

Hope this helps,

Phil

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I am 6'-6'1" and about 187lbs. Uuh... mostly muscle I guess.... I'm more built than anything else. I'm right now torn between FX and AP armor. (getting the AP armor no matter which kit I get)

I've seen countless topics and pictures on this matter, and various different people give me different answers. So I decided to start a thread about it.

Any suggestions or advise anyone might have for me?

It would be helpful to also give visual aids if you can. :D

A third option that you didn't mention, I think RT-Mod would suit you well also. It was molded with the larger trooper in mind and has an accurate helmet. The RT was an easy kit to assemble and the helmet came pre assembled and should be the armor of choice for anyone thinking their only option is FX for size. I believe the price point is right in-between FX and AP

RT-Mod armor was specifically sculpted for guys in the 6'+, 200lb+ class (like RT himself is). Having seen the side-by-side comparasion pics, it's actually a bit bigger than FX.

Shimming is adding plastic to armor parts to make them bigger. For instance, my FX biceps, forearms, and lower leg pieces were initially too narrow to be usable. I had to shim (add plastic) to them to increase the diameter such that I could troop in them. Had I gone with RT-Mod, that may not have been necessary. :P

I've heard of GF (Follano), but I'm not familiar with his armor. I believe he's currently inactive as an armor manufacturer.

--------------

GF is supposed to have sculpted the original Armor F/X costume (or helped, or refined it etc).

Afterwards, he offered a screen-accurate costume cast from an ANH helmet and ROTJ armor that was worked a little to more closely resemble the ANH armor. Check out the link above for details.

If I remember correctly, the AP suit is basically a 2nd generation GF suit. (is that right guys?)

Phil

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

i just got a TX Shadow FX kit, and i'm not the biggest guy, as far as muscle...but i do have an athletic build and a little beer belly...lol!!!! 22 year old who likes to have fun!!!!!! straight out of the box, the bicep pieces just barely fit, if i bend my arm it'll bust open!!!!! same for the quads and maybe even the forearms!!!! i'm 6'0''200lbs. Shimming is def. a must for me!!!! hope that helps...FX is pretty slim but can be adjusted to for a better feel!!!! hope that helps!!!! this is my first kit, so i thought i'd start with a simple FX kit!!!! when i move on to the white armor, i'll go more movie accurate!!!!!