TK-19513's road to the 501st

My whole experience was one big massive lesson in patience and research. Oh, and of course meeting a lot of like minded wonderful people. I ordered my ATA kit in 2014. Received it in 2015. I then completed it and became a member in 2016.  I built 2 blasters during that wait. For me, working on the blasters first was a big help with gathering tools and supplies that would eventually help on the armor build.  The research on and off the forums helped me realize how deep this rabbit hole really goes!

With the armor build, I did not realize how many times I would be trying pieces on and off. I went through many rolls of painters tape holding parts together. I put my helmet together three different times to get it to where I felt was right. That also included screwing and unscrewing the nuts and bolts over and over and over......... My helmet looked a little like swiss cheese under the ears. Once I found the ABS paste trick I realized most things can be fixed.

Some set backs I had were using rivets with the helmet and needing to remove them. The first time I was drilling the rivet out, it got so hot it just melted the ABS and fell out leaving a larger hole. Tutorials I watched made installing snaps looks so easy. I bought leather snaps, that were meant for thicker material so every time I hammered the shaft down the 2 halves of the snaps moved all over the place and never lined up. I seriously thought I was the worst snap installer ever! I then found the proper type of snaps and it was a breeze.  I also wish I had known to spend a little more money on the undersuit.  I bought a very cheap top and bottom and they rubbed dye ALL over my costume. I spent a lot of time taking a magic eraser and cleaning every part.

I dusted off the sewing machine I had never used and read through the manual. It was a crash course, I was very proud of myself after I had successfully sewn elastic loops and thigh garters. 

I know that a lot of this is nothing new to people that have done their builds.

I want to give a shout out to this entire forum! I have never been around any 501st costumes or people.  So everything I learned I learned here. I've done one troop, but it was by myself. This Saturday I'll be trooping for the 1st time with 501st members and I could not be more excited! I'm 42 years old and I can honestly say that becoming a member of the 501st has been one of the most fun and rewarding experiences I have ever had!!!

Edited by Squimspickle
  • Like 10

Well done. I have a very nice heavy weight undersuit and found a lighter weight one to wear in summer. It also stained the underside of my armor. Now I warn evenone I know to wash their undersuit multiple times before wearing. I am afraid that the Anovos undersuit will do the same thing.

• Like 1

Well done indeed! It's great when you finally get approved and get your TK#. It's even better feeling when your out there trooping! Enjoy the ride.

I have to say that I had a blast on my 1st troop.  The event was the YMCA's Healthy Kids Day at the Quicken Loans Arena. If you took my helmet off you would have seen me with the biggest smile ever!  The reactions from the kids and parents were priceless. I am looking forward to more! The other Star Wars Community members I met were also amazing. Their dedication to costuming and being volunteers for events such as this is inspiring. As we were heading back to the dressing room we ran into the Cleveland Cavs Cheerleaders (nice bonus).

IMG_6099_zps31gv3ofm.jpg

IMG_6100_zpssbfs7rgo.jpg

Edited by Squimspickle
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing! It's certainly overwhelming getting going, but next thing you know, you're one of those guys who says "I built it!" when kids and adults alike ask where you got your costume. Enjoy the ride and keep representing the 501st with a hidden smile!

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing! It's certainly overwhelming getting going, but next thing you know, you're one of those guys who says "I built it!" when kids and adults alike ask where you got your costume. Enjoy the ride and keep representing the 501st with a hidden smile!

Thanks for the kind words Clint, and I will!

• 4 weeks later...

I met you on Instagram, while we were both building our blasters and it was great to see how each one of us progressed toward one common goal! I was very happy to see you reach both EIB and Centurion, as I watch on photos on both FB and IG how you worked your butt off!! Thanks for your input on my new blaster build! I'll see you around, Aaron!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I met you on Instagram, while we were both building our blasters and it was great to see how each one of us progressed toward one common goal! I was very happy to see you reach both EIB and Centurion, as I watch on photos on both FB and IG how you worked your butt off!! Thanks for your input on my new blaster build! I'll see you around, Aaron!

Thanks Ruben. Yes, you are the first 501st member that I chatted with!  We talked blasters on multiple occasions.  It was great getting input from someone who had already started their journey!  I appreciate your friendship! It's been fun seeing pics of your new blaster too.  You ended up putting a lot of elbow grease into that one too!!!  Paid off!!!