Dyeing black jodhpur boots white?

I'm looking at buying some new black Jodhpur boots on eBay (tons cheaper than Caboots) but unsure as to how well white shoe leather dye would work on black black black leather? And how well it would "wear" and what sort of finish it would have. What do you use to dye the black elastic at the ankles - the same stuff?

And what's the movie accurate TK shoe finish - dull or shiny?

Newbie questions sorry :6:

Excellent questions! I'm to understand it's certainly possible and how the originals were done, but don't have hard facts.

I'm interested in doing this too - more selection than CA, esp. now that Cheng is out of the biz.

Hi Rachel,

my first boots where colored black Jodphur boots as well. I cant really recommend it. i had to repaint them everytime i had them on, because the lower leg armor scratched the color off and the original black was visible again. i used some special leather colour. Try to find some white boots, that will be better.

Greetings from Germany

Andrea

TK4205 said:

I use and recomend these, for comfort, durability and authenticity.

ebay ------

Be aware that they run a little big, and there are no half sizes. I'm a size 11 but what came in was more like an 11-1/2.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I would think that a white leather dye would work fine. You might have to use a pre-treatment on the boot before applying the dye, but something like this ----------------should work fine. It's fairly cheap experiment anyway. If in doubt find a local leather store or saddle maker and ask.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020