inexpensive scratch t tracks

kevin926

I went to my local hobby shop and found some 1/4 inch styrene angle strips x 24 inches long for 1.50 each so seeing how I am making 2 of these, one for my son and a more accurate one for myself, I decided to give it a go.I already have styrene glue and milled pieces so its not costing me however, if you dont have any of the glue, my total cost would have been 11 dollars for the glue and 4 sticks. I will build them and show my results. I'm just holding these together in the picture to give you an idea. They are not glued yet. I figure I can file a rounded edge on top and if need be, use a flat piece of styrene on the bottom for a more accurate finish.

post-27492-0-63339600-1455658864_thumb.jpg

post-27492-0-72678400-1455658885_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So along with anything we do, it's trial and error. However, I believe it worked out fine once I got the kinks out. After making a mess of the first bend, I decided on making a jig out a couple washers and wood scraps. Then I stuck the track in and hit it with my heat gun for a couple seconds and bent it with ease. As you can see I got better at it as I went. So for 1.50 a stick, I believe it's worth it.

Having issues loading pics, I am working off a tablet so I need a new lap top. I had to delete a picture to add one. Results are in 3rd picture<br><br>

What do you think

Hey, I found posting pics was a pain until I realised that clicking 'Request Desktop site', on the ipad, opened-up a whole load of new options, including inserting photobucket direct links etc.

Edit: Tracks look great btw. I love a bit of DIY ingenuity :)

Edited by humperdingle

Hey, I found posting pics was a pain until I realised that clicking 'Request Desktop site', on the ipad, opened-up a whole load of new options, including inserting photobucket direct links etc.

Edit: Tracks look great btw. I love a bit of DIY ingenuity :)

Thank you, I need to play around with this. I think this worked out but my hobby shop sells 2 versions of this angle stock, 1 is a generic cut piece and they also sell evergreen which is very good and square cuts. It's a little more expensive but a much better quality than the bin pieces which may be seconds. I will post my results to share with those that may give it a try. And once I figure out how to post pictures better I can post a full tutorial.