Dougal's ANH Hero Build -- RTMod

Thanks Tim! Remove the return edge at the front of the knee. Will do. I also noticed you took the return edge off at the bottom because it ruined your boots? Did you take off the return edge on both sides? Plus I like the look of the back of the shin with the V. Ejgreen used that method. Was just wondering if that would mess with centurion level. Honestly haven't noticed it on any of the centurion build threads I have looked at.

Nice work mate. I know what you mean about the journey as I've just finished putting mine together after about 4 years lol and I've decided to do him 2 pack solid paint as my armour is old and didn't have the UV stabilizers in the ABS and started to yellow  :huh: He's now finished in plastic grey primer and is about to get painted  :peace: If you need some pointers mate I'm more than happy to help out.

• Like 1

Didn't ruin my boots. I removed it as a preemptive strike, so it wouldn't. To be honest, those boots take a bit of a beating because of the armor rubbing on them.

Granted, my personal antics while wearing the armor probably make it worse than if I mostly stood around and waved at people, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Mobility cuts/half moons in the back of the shins won't have any impact at all on Centurion approval. If you'd feel better verifying that though, feel free to shoot Sly11 and UKSWRATH a PM and ask them before doing it. They're the guys who will be evaluating your armor.

Go ahead and try your shins on when they've dried, and just walk around a bit in them. You may not have the issue that I did, but that area was going to draw blood if I left it. LoL

Troopers Helping Troopers! - TK-51878

• Like 2

Nice work mate. I know what you mean about the journey as I've just finished putting mine together after about 4 years lol and I've decided to do him 2 pack solid paint as my armour is old and didn't have the UV stabilizers in the ABS and started to yellow :huh: He's now finished in plastic grey primer and is about to get painted :peace: If you need some pointers mate I'm more than happy to help out.

Thanks Andy! Good luck on the final coat! Any and all help is always appreciated!

Didn't ruin my boots. I removed it as a preemptive strike, so it wouldn't. To be honest, those boots take a bit of a beating because of the armor rubbing on them.

Granted, my personal antics while wearing the armor probably make it worse than if I mostly stood around and waved at people, but where's the fun in that? ;)

Mobility cuts/half moons in the back of the shins won't have any impact at all on Centurion approval. If you'd feel better verifying that though, feel free to shoot Sly11 and UKSWRATH a PM and ask them before doing it. They're the guys who will be evaluating your armor.

Go ahead and try your shins on when they've dried, and just walk around a bit in them. You may not have the issue that I did, but that area was going to draw blood if I left it. LoL

Troopers Helping Troopers! - TK-51878

I will email one of them tonight. Front of shin trimmed up and sanded down to almost a polish with 2000 grit. I am going to keep the bottoms as is until it is needed if needed at all.

Quick question... When gluing the elastic into the shins for the bra clasp closure, are you just slapping e6000 on the elastic and abs and just pushing them together with out clamps? I'm assuming that is the way to go about it. Unless there is a way to clamp it without making a mess of your clamps and/or magnets??

For gluing elastic straight to plastic, you can put a patch of spare ABS on top and clamp in place. You'll see ukswrath always do this in his tutorial photos. That circumference looks right. I used my pipe for my thermal detonator.  

What a pain in the a very impolite person.....

33A1D30E-10EE-4CFE-BBB5-65A28E291AD8_zps

One side settled in perfectly. The other not so much...

56F1A165-61E0-4AC2-9490-41E5A74CD0F0_zps

After much persuasion, I do believe I got her!!

A9BE3936-9194-4BBF-B04D-A92D391120FD_zps

Edited by Dougal

Mate I'm just about ready to add my sniper plate on. Looking at I'm thinking how it's going to fit too. It seems to be a common issue. Looks like it isn't going to move for you though!

Sent from my HUAWEI G510-0251 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mate I'm just about ready to add my sniper plate on. Looking at I'm thinking how it's going to fit too. It seems to be a common issue. Looks like it isn't going to move for you though!

It wasn't that bad. Just had to use a combo of tape, magnets and clamps lol! It should be good. I hope at least!! Good luck on yours!!

Ok not a ton of progress has been made, but I am still moving along slowly. Sniper knee plate had to be redone... After focusing so much on the sides and the alignment of the sides I neglected to notice that I had pulled the knee plate off center and since I had all that tape on it I didn't catch until 48 hours later, lol! Thankfully e6000 is great for folks that are prone to glueing errors! So after some pulling and sanding the plate was ready and is now being glued one more time.

A3BB18D6-3FDF-4C2E-97F6-7048D7AD0343_zps

I also added one of the rear cover strips for the shins and 1 of the 3 clasps that will close the shin.

CD654B7C-D095-4891-8EAF-9D0DD71BA264_zps

All the clasp setups are sewed and ready to go. They just have to be glued in place and then I can mark my holes in the appropriate spots for drilling.

I also cut 28 plates out of 50mm nylon at 40mm to be used in a double snap setup. I may have extras I may need more... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. My question is... Do I add Velcro to my double snap setup? Is it that helpful? Does it make extra noise when you walk compared to a snap setup without Velcro? Pros/Cons...

Expert advice needed!!

Mate I'm hearing you on the sniper plate. Same happened to me. I'm now doing the center, then inner side, then outer side in turn, with 48 hr cure time between each. I did a hot water bath treatment on the outer side to slightly twist it down to help with alignment.

• Like 1

Mate I'm hearing you on the sniper plate. Same happened to me. I'm now doing the center, then inner side, then outer side in turn, with 48 hr cure time between each. I did a hot water bath treatment on the outer side to slightly twist it down to help with alignment.

Nice thinking with the hot water bath! I think that would have helped me out as well if I had tried it!

Ok shins are finished and I hope they meet everyone's approval, especially the Centurian officials out there perusing the forums, lol.

303A342B-FB1B-46C9-838D-289D05663979_zps

E1DCD002-ECC3-42B3-90A7-737AF99DC7C7_zps

First time Stormtrooper model, be easy on me folks .

1304D658-4290-428E-9B51-427BE1966164_zps

CF2DD059-0235-48A1-B30D-D5C339117A96_zps

8C3DE4C3-ECF1-4F49-929A-3664AC8C0F51_zps

30D574E6-9304-48E0-A689-8E2F52687920_zps

Also finished up some of my plates and connecting snaps.

C3B52381-39B9-444B-A94D-75D197448BE4_zps

D3AB4378-A333-455A-994E-3C295A46A2B3_zps

And last but not least, I was also able to get my Centurian level gloves and armor plates ready to go. Thank you Karin!!

5D5315A7-4F81-40B1-B259-C42BF0651C5A_zps

I'm gonna get there!!!

Edited by Dougal

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a lot to post at this time. Things are slow going. I messed up the thighs twice. Looks like the third go is a charm... Snap plates are being glued on one by one and I currently have the last snap plate on the back done. Next the front and then the final touches to get it all together and looking good!!

Almost there!

903E8429-58E2-4D40-81CD-D04BA267950E_zps

Final go at the thigh. Had to glue half of it at a time because I didn't have enough magnets.

A425B906-9BCA-49D0-A27C-CE3AF0D4646B_zps

• Like 1

I've been working out of town every week lately so this project is slowly moving along. Here are a couple of things I was able to get knocked out.

C9161492-6CCC-412E-B350-7D943AEA5CE3_zps

22mm

C09B7846-44C9-4EFE-B990-57D50FE8DAA3_zps

Before...

44B0CEFC-8BC0-487B-BFDD-E4D3FB596D3E_zps

After...

Edited by Dougal

Ok so I'm sorta stuck and needing a little advice or expertise from you folks out there. I am finishing up my thighs and am not sure what to do. My RTMod thighs only have the raised ridge(I am calling the raised edge the area that the cover strips are placed.)on one side(looking at the back). I am needing to trim some material off to give it a better shape around my thigh. So do I just start with cutting the whole ridge off and then getting another measurement to cut off the other side and make it fit? Or do I leave it and have one side higher then the other? I am real close to cutting out that whole ridge so the cover strip will have a cleaner lie. But don't want to cut until I hear some input if anyone has any to offer.

Thanks for the link. It is a great build thread! It is one of my top resource threads! But it doesn't help me. I'm trying to reach Centurian level. So I need butt joints with cover strips. This is the only area on the RTMod kit that doesn't have raised ridges on both sides of the armor for the cover strip to a lay on.