Hyperfirm Weathering

LoveMonkey

While I wait for funds to construct my BFG, my Christmas present was a Hyperfirm B-grade.  I love how light it is and the durability.

What I want to do is add some paint to it so it stands out a bit more in pictures.  You know, make it look just that much better and realistic.  My initial thought was to use acrylic paint in gunmetal gray or a similar color like aluminum and then dry brush it all over.

Any suggestions or other ideas on this would be much appreciated!

There is a video on Youtube which will give you the basics, but I don't think I would go nearly as far as he does with the weathering, (sometimes less is more).  Also, you should use a brass colored paint (like Testors) for the scope, available at Michael's or any craft/hobby shop.  Hint:  Turn the volume off, (it's kind of annoying).

Worse case scenario, it's just paint, so you can hit it with coat of flat black (enamel) and start over!

Edited by justjoseph63

That video is great, thanks for sharing that.

Out of curiosity, which part do you think looks too heavy?  

I could see for a standard TK that it would be too much, sure, but where I'm a dirty TD, a little heavier weathering isn't a bad thing.  :td:

• 2 weeks later...

While I wait for funds to construct my BFG, my Christmas present was a Hyperfirm B-grade.  I love how light it is and the durability.

What I want to do is add some paint to it so it stands out a bit more in pictures.  You know, make it look just that much better and realistic.  My initial thought was to use acrylic paint in gunmetal gray or a similar color like aluminum and then dry brush it all over.

Any suggestions or other ideas on this would be much appreciated!

Actually, having now received my HyperFirm B-Grade... why do you need weathering? Mine came pre-weathered... didn't yours?

Actually, having now received my HyperFirm B-Grade... why do you need weathering? Mine came pre-weathered... didn't yours?

It did - to a degree.  I want to add a little more so it will really shine in pictures, especially some of the awesome detail on it.  I'm hoping to work on it this weekend and I'll post pictures of it when I do.

• Like 1

In this video, he has the techniques down, but IMHO he takes it a bit too far.  Showing up on camera is one thing, showing up on a satellite photo is another!  (Sometimes less is more)...  Also, the scope should be (minimally) done in brass colored paint,  not silver.  Weathering is one thing, having it look like it went through a garbage masher is another!

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 2

I agree with Joe. He blanketed it in a silver dry brush. Don't get me wrong it looks ok. But I personally think he should have researched the look and taken a little more time to make it look right. T-tracks and grip with silver weathering, I don't think so...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The problem I have with the video is he weathered every single edge on the blaster.  We can only speculate on what the finish is and how it would wear. I have had a lot of "blued" firearms over the years and wear just doesn't happen that way. You have to think of what would wear in normal use.  What edges would wear from being holstered over and over?  What would wear from handling the weapon on a regular basis? What would wear from regular disassembly for cleaning and maintenance?  You might imagine what would get damaged from dropping the weapon. Every single edge would NOT get worn like that.

I have been pretty happy with the weathering HFx did on my E-11...

1RltYGm.jpg?2amYMLlN.jpg?2

Edited by bobio
Fixed Broken Photobucket Image Links
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2016 at 4:59 AM, bobio said:

The problem I have with the video is he weathered every single edge on the blaster.  We can only speculate on what the finish is and how it would wear. I have had a lot of "blued" firearms over the years and wear just doesn't happen that way. You have to think of what would wear in normal use.  What edges would wear from being holstered over and over?  What would wear from handling the weapon on a regular basis? What would wear from regular disassembly for cleaning and maintenance?  You might imagine what would get damaged from dropping the weapon. Every single edge would NOT get worn like that.

I have been pretty happy with the weathering HFx did on my E-11...

-----------

Looking at your pictures and comparing it to my own, I can see the same spots where the weathering is on both.  Yours seems a bit darker, more pronounced.  I'm just adding a little more to those same areas.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Hey guys

I painted quite a few hyperfirm blasters back in my day

Back then we started with a base of semi-flat black and dry brushed krylon dull aluminum

We also used brass on the scope

We used an old t shirt with the paint sprayed onto it . We didn't use much paint and wiped most of the silver off of the shirt prior to rubbing it on the blaster .

I also liked to use different blacks in different parts .

The counter (smooth section ) and the grip would be gloss

I'll have to dig around and see if I have some pics .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are some pictures of my Hyperfirm B-grade E-11 that I weathered.  Not that it didn’t come with some weathering to begin with, but I wanted the weathering to stand out a bit more in pictures than what it was.  The detail is so good on the Hyperfirm that I wanted it showcased in pictures.  I dry-brushed some acrylic gunmetal grey paint on the areas that already had some weathering to make it stand out a bit more and then added it around where I thought it would look good.

I’m pretty happy with the results.  Also, the d-ring on the back is homemade using a coat hanger, thus its irregular shape as I used pliers and a bit of elbow grease to bend it into shape.

--------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 2 weeks later...