FedEx Duty and tax invoice

welshchris77

Help!, got a letter in the post yesterday from FEDEX for a bill of €61.87 for duty and tax on a Anovos force awakens trooper helmet I got just after Christmas, 

Is this right?

I can't believe they want this much off me after all the money I already paid for the item and shipping etc, has anyone any experience with this?

Yea I ordered the TK kit plus a stupendous postage and packaging and now I'm waiting for fed ex to invoice me too. I was gutted when I realised but there's nothing we can do, from my knowledge.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Edited by BlayneFitz

Don´t blame Anovos, go and blame your government for it´s taxes.

My fedex invoice was around 75€ ...... only 12€ for fedex, the rest was fees for the government.

On the other hand, without paying fedex those 12€ for handling i would have needed to take a free day off work, drive 40-50Km to our local county customs office to pick the parcel up and pay the fee. Usually that takes around 1-2 hours including waiting time.

Edited by Lichtbringer
  • Like 1

On the brighter side, when you bring the product over here it immediatly becomes worth more. Right? :D

Edited by BlayneFitz

Im living in Ireland and also have the TK ordered,

I wonder if it would be cheaper to get it posted to my sister in law in Florida and have her post it to me declaring it as a gift

It appears that Anovos could be shipping out hard and soft part separately, if both have the 'overall' price stated on them I could get charged twice for that

judging from what I've already paid the tk could be around €150, if I get charged twice then it could be €300  :blink:

I wonder if it would be cheaper to get it posted to my sister in law in Florida and have her post it to me declaring it as a gift

It appears that Anovos could be shipping out hard and soft part separately, if both have the 'overall' price stated on them I could get charged twice for that

judging from what I've already paid the tk could be around €150, if I get charged twice then it could be €300  :blink:

Maybe. But it´s a long shot. I order a lot, and most parcels i have to pick up at the customs office, only very few slip through (and, in EU. if they do this and you don´t bring them to notice yourself ...... a long and sad story, most governments are not pleased if taxes are not paid).

So your chances are good to pay then shipping to your sister, from her to you, additional the taxes - and in the worst case some penalty (unlikely but possibly)

For not paying double at separate shipments, the paperwork should be accordingly.

Edit: Oh, and you pay the same tax with every item you buy, be it a lawnmover or a microwave - the only difference is that you don´t see it when buying in a local shop.  ;)

Edited by Lichtbringer
  • Like 2

Typically in the UK it's 20% tax. I have to ship models over that cost $8500 US..can you imagine the outrageous hit on that? sucks for them.

Do you think I could get away with having Anovos send it to my sister in law in florida and then for her to re-post this on to me as a 'gift' to avoid the Duty and tax?

I may get a rebate on the Anovos shipping as it was something like €150 delivery to Ireland 'standard shipping'

Maybe. But it´s a long shot. I order a lot, and most parcels i have to pick up at the customs office, only very few slip through (and, in EU. if they do this and you don´t bring them to notice yourself ...... a long and sad story, most governments are not pleased if taxes are not paid).

So your chances are good to pay then shipping to your sister, from her to you, additional the taxes - and in the worst case some penalty (unlikely but possibly)

For not paying double at separate shipments, the paperwork should be accordingly.

Edit: Oh, and you pay the same tax with every item you buy, be it a lawnmover or a microwave - the only difference is that you don´t see it when buying in a local shop. ;)

So how do you mean the paperwork should be accordingly? Do you know how we would avoid being charged double?

It depends on how Anovos handles this.

Easiest would be if each parcel/part shipment would be handled separate with it´s own partial invoice and declaration on the outside - that way it´s as separate orders.

That makes sense. I would be surprised and mad if they don't do this. I'm sure they will

In Canada, If the package is over 200$ usually, I get duty fees. :(  Most I ever had was 120$ on a 1200$ item which was ridiculous... So I think it's around 10% for us. Could be more though, been a while since I had to deal with duty fees. (*Knocks on wood*)

In Canada, If the package is over 200$ usually, I get duty fees. :( Most I ever had was 120$ on a 1200$ item which was ridiculous... So I think it's around 10% for us. Could be more though, been a while since I had to deal with duty fees. (*Knocks on wood*)

Lucky. It's a whopping 20% in the UK

Those 20% are probably no duty fees, i assume it´s only the VAT.

When something arrives here the customs collect the 19% VAT, additional they check the harmonized system customs tariff number of the goods, For some they have to charge a certain % of customs fee,how much % will depend on the imported goods. Both, VAT and custom fees, will be calculated on the lumpsum amount from price of the goods AND it´s shipping costs.

If the amount to be paid is under 5€, they don´t collect it as it´s to much paperwork for that small amount. That means goods for under 20-25€ (price and shipping) are free, above that you need to pay.

I wouldn´t wonder if it´s more or less the same in each EU country.

If you had it handled another way, your customs is lazy, not good watching - or you are esspecially lucky and should try the lottery.  :) 

If i had to guess ..... i would say around 90% of my parcels i have to pick up at the customs.

• Like 1

With my first order kit, the total value I paid for the kit was declared over the four packages I received from ANOVOS, so you will not get overcharged.  If you are looking at avoiding paying tax on an item, its somewhat straying into illegality- not necessarily the best discussion to be had on a public forum!  The last package I received from ANOVOS had a delared cost of $50, which was the neck seal, but had to pay £25, most of which was a handling charge.  There seems to be no rythm or reason to it, I paid £80 less duty on the helmet than my mate Dave did on his (both from ANOVOS, both declared at a value of $700) whilst I paid £40 more for the armour.  Unfortunately nowadays, everything over a value of £20 has a charge attached.  When I started this hobby 11 years ago there was a good chance of not picking any charge up on its way through unless there was a significant value attached.

Customs charges into the UK are all over the place, it depends on what the item is, where its from, what its made off etc.  What I find annoying is having to pay a handling charge for each item that goes through customs.  Isnt that what POSTAGE charges are for!?

It depends on how Anovos handles this.

Easiest would be if each parcel/part shipment would be handled separate with it´s own partial invoice and declaration on the outside - that way it´s as separate orders.

Hopefully this is how they will handle it!

I begrudgingly paid the Duty and tax earlier today for my TFA bucket after a day of sulking about it first!

Our government is quite skilled at ripping us off here for buying from the States. :blink:

From what I remember after having my ANH armor seized by customs for charges, Customs grabs the parcel then works out the charges, they then charge the post office for this service, the post office then adds a handling fee which is to pay for the fee from customs and includes the customs fee, which then gets paid back to customs.

There is no rhyme or reason to how the system works as I have both been a victim of customs and got away with not paying customs in the past, there are codes that can be used for certain items to reduce charges, however armor comes under the "costume" category and will always run the risk.

Hopefully this is how they will handle it!

I begrudgingly paid the Duty and tax earlier today for my TFA bucket after a day of sulking about it first!

Our government is quite skilled at ripping us off here for buying from the States. :blink:

The Duty Taxes are there because governments do not want you to buy from other countries, they'd rather keep your purchases in house, so to speak. They try to make it not worth your while to shop abroad... Some packages slip through customs, while others do not... You take your chances when purchasing from outside your country of origin.

Please don´t mix it.  :)

Biggest part is the picked VAT (19% here in Germany). This is the most visible and angering add on, but only cause you see it here directly. You pay that for each item you buy in your country, too - it´s just hidden so you didn´t notice it.  ;)

Duty taxes are what Dan mentioned, a punishment from our governments to keep us buying local traded stuff - but at our hobby stuff (nothing what the government tries to create a monopol for inland industries, way to small for real interest) it´s usually a rather small percentage, mostly around 3-4% only. But again, you notice it when ordering yourself, but they are also on each foreign item "made in ......" you buy in a local shop. Again, just hidden. 

The handling fee is the payment for having a Fedex representative handling the customs stuff (it takes time, you pay your car-mechanic and your gardener per hour, this is not any different). Additional they pay money in advance at the customs, of course they not only want it back 1 to 1, your bank also gives you no money for free.  :D

Edit: Please let me know if my blabla is boring.  :lol:

Edited by Lichtbringer

Yeah so I just got my invoice from fedex for the force awakens helmet I ordered.... 91$ Canadian.... Are you f'in kidding me??? The damn helmet was only 250$. That really makes me mad. I begrudgingly paid it but I can't believe it's. I paid nearly 400$ Canadian for it already between shipping and CAD to US exchange rate. So basically I paid almost 500$ for this stupid helmet.

Edited by Cladius
  • Like 1

I'm living in Luxemburg, which has a pretty low VAT rate compared to other European countries: 17%

My gripe is that it gets slapped on top of the TOTAL price you paid for import goods. In the case of the 350$ armor, I paid a total of 492.80$ incl. shipping.

This in turn equals 451.65€ (today. Will fluctuate) 17% VAT of that sum equals 76.78€ which I will have to pay when it gets intercepted (which I don't doubt it will)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk