New to FISD, looking to connect more with members

Rocket

I've already done my "New recruit" intro post, but now I'm at the point of just wanting to talk to people about anything and everything to do with the hobby.  Nothing specific, really, just, "Hey, cool!  You're a Stormtrooper!"  I'm in the process of contacting vendors (the ones on the good list, as opposed to the naughty list) and figuring out what setup will be right for me.  So, I've started the journey to the dark side!  :)

Also, how off-topic is this forum?  I'd like to share or talk about some of my other hobbies too, just in case some are interested.

• Like 1

Hmmmm.  "Anything and everything" certainly encompasses a lot, Jason!  Once you get your armor built and approved, you will start trooping with a lot of like-minded folks who will share not only your enjoyment of everything white armor related, but your other hobbies as well.  Another idea for you in the mean-time is to get in touch with your local Garrison or Squad and get involved with some of their activities.  You can volunteer to be a "handler" at events, which will allow you to gain some knowledge, as well as meet your future trooping friends.

You get out of this exactly what you put into it.  The more active you are, the more fun you will have.  I guarantee it.

I'm a bit of an introvert IRL if I'm not comfortable and I volunteered to help run my Garrison's table at a Hockey Night troop. It was pretty awkward at first but I got to meet a few members and gain experience. I was very jealous of the guys in armor though. A couple weeks later I finally got approved. Just waiting to troop in March at our next local big event. 

Definitely meet your local garrison members and get your name out there. Volunteer, go to build parties, and make new friends. I'm not sure how old you are but I'm almost 30 and live in a new state and it's incredibly hard for me to meet new people. So glad I'm a part of this great organization now! Plus it gives me an excuse to have bro time away from the wife and kids :P

• Like 3

Hey Airborne Trooper, appreciate the feedback.  Like you, I am in introvert, and generally have a hard time going and hanging out with strangers.  I tend to have a few close friends vs. lots of acquaintances.  Unfortunately, I live in an area where there's only one other 501st member within a 2.5 hour drive.  Hey, it's a start, right?  I'm planning on getting armor and building my kit.  Maybe I'll draw in a couple more people.  I did learn one of my casual friends was looking into making a kit about 10 years ago, maybe I can lure him in with a completed setup to entice him.  At any rate, I'm stoked about where this is taking me.

Yup, I know your situation. At least you don't live in Maine. There's like, one or two other 501st Stormtroopers in this entire state that I know of. It's quite isolated up here, with most of the NEG members being based in Massachusetts. So it would be impossible to get involved with things like armor parties unless I drive a six hour round trip, which isn't happening.

...There's more Mando Mercs here than 501st....  :blink:

At least you have the forums. People here are really good about providing helpful answers to questions and they really want to see you make it in this hobby. And once people around you see what you're doing, they'll probably want to follow suit.  ;)

Yup, I know your situation. At least you don't live in Maine. There's like, one or two other 501st Stormtroopers in this entire state that I know of. It's quite isolated up here, with most of the NEG members being based in Massachusetts. So it would be impossible to get involved with things like armor parties unless I drive a six hour round trip, which isn't happening.

...There's more Mando Mercs here than 501st....  :blink:

At least you have the forums. People here are really good about providing helpful answers to questions and they really want to see you make it in this hobby. And once people around you see what you're doing, they'll probably want to follow suit.  ;)

I hear you brother, where I live there's like, one Stormie (whom I don't know, and for all I know he has moved away) and one Biker scout, but she lives like, 1 hour away in another county, so we don't have a lot of contact, even though we have a lot of friends in common. We don't talk much except from the occasional party or night out, but she has a kid so even those are sparse.

Everyone else lives at least two hours away in one direction, five hours the other way, in less "rural" places, (as far as that goes in tiny little Norway), so getting in touch is a bit hard as long as I've got to find a place to sleep, etc.

And most of them seem to keep to themselves in their freetime (who'd have known crafting and hobby geeks like to keep to themselves?? Haha!) 

I'm pretty hermit-like myself, though, so I don't really feel the need to meet people every single day, but it'd be nice to meet other Star Wars-kooks too.

(Trying to get a friend of mine to join for a build, though, and he was kind of keen on doing it, but he's more of a HALO fan than Star Wars fan so he's like "Yeah i wanna build the Mjolnir armor" whenever I mention costumes,

and I'm pretty much trying to convince him white plastic is better and easier.)  :D

Edited by SofusSnake

• 1 month later...

I'm an introvert as well, but once I get close to people, I'm pretty social (I just need to recharge afterwards).  I got lucky and I have a whole local Squad in my immediate area (though the Garrison goes all the way up to Redding and Reno), but if you ever get the chance to handle, do it; it's actually a ton of fun and very helpful to all involved.  As far as building and questions, the boards are a wealth of information.  Find several build threads that match your costume or armor type and pour over them and follow along.  If you need detailed pictures, check the EIB and Centurion application threads- lots of close ups and pictures of internal strapping, etc.  I'd also suggest reaching out via email to your future Garrison; they started where you are, too, and even if you can't meet in person, any contact is better than no contact.  

Jason, did you ever get in contact with the Cloud City Garrison folks? I started out in a similar situation. I was about 2.5 hours from any other Legion members, so my builds were pretty much just me and the FISD. I made out alright, well ensure that you do also.<br><br>

So, what other hobbies have you got that you wanted to chat about?

Hey Tim, I sure did get in touch with the Cloud City Garrison.  I'm registered over there and have been chatting a bit.  Otherwise, I'm on some loooong wait lists, so for now, I sit.

As far as hobbies go, I love to wrench on cars, mess with computers, have a couple of YouTube channels, and I love to cook.