Coating Inside of Anovos Helmet

firstorderofficer

I just received my Anovos FO Helmet and started immediately thinking about what to do with the inside of it.

I've seen several people on here mention coating the inside with PlastiDip. Seems the difficult part is disassembling the helmet. Does anyone here have some reference shots showing a safe way to take this apart for easier coating? Kind of nervous about ruining anything!

No. The only reason I used plasti-dip or spray truck bed lining was to reinforce the thin styrene or ABS. I really see no reason to use it for injected plastic. I used flat black Krylon Fusion for the inside of a couple MR helmets, which are about the same, and they looked sweet. If you are going with a sound system in your bucket, the plasi-dip does help dampen feedback. Plasti-dip peels and bubbles, where the truck bed lining does not. You can usually find both at home depot or an auto supply shop.

• Like 1

Now with these sprays and coating options. do they tend to leave a chemical smell in the bucket?

And TK4205, I really like the clean look inside your bucket. where does the mike cable go to? I assume one of those connectors in the box? and the fans go to the other?

So I decided to not bother disassembling anything and just sprayed part of the inside.

There were two screws to remove the hard hat liner. I then taped up all the parts I didn't want sprayed and covered the entire helmet with a plastic bag to keep it clean.

lvtXJxT.jpg

cf23UWp.jpg

After youtubing for a bit, I lightly sanded the inside with 220 grit and then wiped it down with mineral oil.

I only sprayed part of the helmet since this was my first attempt and I wanted to keep it simple. Ended up putting three coats on. You can see there was a decent size drip that formed during the last coat. I spent part of the time while it was drying slowly rotating it to fill a couple spots that didn't get covered as well. After I stopped, it eventually pooled up in the bottom and dripped to one side because I had it resting at an angle. I definitely over-sprayed on the last coat.

axA2L2U.jpg

WGbArXJ.jpg

It's not perfect, however I can easily remove what I have if I wanted to fix the drip. Aside from the drip, it looks quite nice and smooth. For now, it's just fine and not visible to anyone when I'm wearing it. I'm probably going to spray the inside left and right side this weekend and also try and get some of the inner lip around the neck since that's the most visible part of the inside. Still needs a couple days of curing to get the smell out, but that's expected.

Maybe I missed something upstream 

Tony you're always swimming upstream you're just crazy like that  :D 

hahaha yea I know, I meant upstream in the convo. What's the reason you only painted the center section?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2016 at 10:28 AM, TK4205 said:

CPU fans run off a 9v batter quite well. That's what I've always used.

Holy crap this looks incredible!  :salute:

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

• 4 weeks later...

Wyatt, I love the detail you put into your helmet.  Shows ALLOT of attention and I really do appreciate that to say the least.   Can you please give a bit of details on your internal setup.  I am going to look for your build thread to see if you go into specifics about it but just in case, I figured I would ask here.  The tubing, what is it for, the buttons, the female ports and so on.  The more detailed the better.  Grin...

Thank You,

Dan

TKNoWay

On 1/4/2016 at 10:28 AM, TK4205 said:

CPU fans run off a 9v batter quite well. That's what I've always used.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021