E-11S - Sniper Rifle

No new parts, but I've been working on fixing the rear stock. I wanted it removable just in case I had issues with the spring, slinging bolt, handle, etc, and that's the only access. It also needs to be strong enough to act as the backstop to the spring/bolt mechanism

The idea will be for a regular bolt to go through the stock and through both edges of the receiver tube.

P1030540_zpsmyx9lth4.jpg

Previous efforts of lining up a Tap & Die set to be perfectly inline were a bit ordinary, so I cut two holes in the pipe and epoxied nuts into the pipe. This way I could epoxy with the bolt in place ensuring they were in line

P1030541_zpsouh4lbti.jpg

Hole in the stock and epoxy a tube section to act as support and a stopper for the bolt so it can't be overtightened.

P1030545_zpske97dybt.jpg

P1030555_zps4ozu7qc7.jpg

Will paint the bolt black too so it blends in more

P1030557_zps47qwwf1r.jpg

P1030560_zpsbsiapda1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Inner Barrel (Brian  :) ). Unfortunately I didn't see Aaron's sale thread with a 3x length barrel, so I went with another similar to my last build. A bit of curtain rod with aluminium discs each end to centre it in the receiver.

Have also got some Matt Black paint on the whole blaster. And repainted the T-tracks. I initially painted the tracks gloss black to contrast against the matt black receiver, but I didn't like it. Too shiny. So matt it is for now. Might pick up some satin black and give that a go at some point before they get glued on.

P1030569_zpsi2dicqce.jpg

Cylinders - I thought long and hard about the cylinders. How to make, who's tutorial to follow, where to buy. In the end, I opted for the oversized DVH ones that came in the kit. Again, no 100% accuracy here, just something that resembles the original. Drilled some holes, 3 metal tubes (well cut down 3inch nails) and some 3mm nuts and bolts. I did obtain some originals from Tino (thank you again), but found they were just too small compared to the oversized cylinders

P1030416_zpskxhaucz2.jpg

P1030417_zpsu7jvmsgo.jpg

P1030570_zps6zdtv4ti.jpg

P1030571_zpsf2iwassj.jpg

And another size comparison from original (Andy's) and DVH

P1030573_zpspm75udqr.jpg

Nearly up to final completion/installation of everything

Ian, I wondered why the original screws looked THAT small compared to your power cylinders until I saw the photo below.

But don't worry, these oversized cylinders are a perfect match to this oversized blaster :D

P1030573_zpspm75udqr.jpg

As always, good build progress. Can't wait to see that thing with T-tracks added. That will drastically change the appearance of this awesome blaster.

• Like 1

Nice! That inner barrel is going look sweet. And the DVH power cylinders are better suited for your blaster as Tino mentioned. <br>

Matte black looks good. Maybe you can just spray the tracks with semi gloss clear coat and see how that looks. Planning on that myself for my doopy blaster. Never quite finished the paint job on that.

Maybe you can just spray the tracks with semi gloss clear coat and see how that looks. 

There's an idea. That might just be enough contrast that I'm after. Thanks Brian.

Ian, just an idea but what about adding a small battery powered laser pointer?

Placement options:

A: on top of the scope rail (in front of the big scope)

B: on the underside of the receiver tube (in front of the foldable bipod)

C: inside the receiver tube (fully hidden)

Depending on the placement and the type of laser pointer, you could run wires to the trigger group and activate it with one of your light switches in the trigger or the magazine well...

Ian, just an idea but what about adding a small battery powered laser pointer?

I did seriously think about that Tino. Something along the lines of this could still be simply attached to the side of the scope

_57_zpslo7148wy.jpg

_57-2_zpsbekc7krt.jpg

It does have a corded switch, so yes, could be activated by a hidden switch - trigger would be ideal.

Or a simple push button on/off under the receiver - just in front of the bipod as you say.

_57-3_zpsb2u0l96w.jpg

My only concern that stopped me from doing it initially is the gun laws here in Australia. Every replica/prop/etc is illegal anyway, but the more my space ray-gun looks like a real gun, the higher the chance of me getting in trouble.

Will keep it at the back of my mind though :). Thanks for the suggestion.

Oh, you said laser pointer..... Will search for that on eBay, rather than "tactical light" and see what comes up....

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 1

When posting about the laser pointer, I also thought about a tactical flash light but did not mention it, as such a thing would not make much sense on a sniper rifle.

This would be more suitable for a blaster, just like they did on the F-11D in "The Force Awakens".

However, I know nothing about your gun laws, but reducing the hardware only to the laser pointer, might offer ways to hide it... :)

• Like 1

However, I know nothing about your gun laws, but reducing the hardware only to the laser pointer, might offer ways to hide it... :)

I will look into that Tino. (knowing my luck, laser pointers are illegal too! Too many kids shining them at helicopters and planes over here....)

Anyway, small update. With a few parts, I went for strength over stealthy concealment and fixings, so looking into the receiver I had 2 big ugly screws holding the Mag housing in place. Taking a cue from Tino's bullets and Steve's electrical board I went with what I thought would be coming out of that magazine - A red 'kill' charge, and a blue 'stun' charge. Yeah, doesn't look like anything real, but it covers up the bolts when you pull back the charging handle ;) (excuse the dust on the blaster, didn't wipe it down before photography)

P1030579_zpsfcjsqqh0.jpg

P1030578_zpsatuxibs2.jpg

Oh, and the standard issue Gazmosis magazine upgrade. Sitting here next to the DVH magazine, which was a very good cast, just short.

P1030340_zps4mecep0j.jpg

Magnets in place

P1030339_zps5czkxy9m.jpg

No other mods on that other than paint, so that'll be pictured once it's all together.

Thanks for stopping by....

Edited by Sith Lord

Super! That extra cover plate over the bolts is a great idea.

Just a thought, I saw some cheap dual LED light board kits that give off an adjustable fade in fade out flash (the red LEDs can be switched out for white or blues). The board can be decorated to look more or less like a part of the inner chamber, perhaps using the part already there but having the LED bulbs mounted behind them. Might be an extra detail worth adding.

In Japan at the dollar stores they sell these bicycle tire tube caps that have tiny domed LED lights on them, operating on 3 small watch batteries. They are trigger by movement. Another cheap idea if you are interested. I use them in my daughter's Jawa ion blasters. 

• Like 1

:D Very cool Brian, thought about something like this too when seeing Ian's photos.

The nice thing on this blaster is, there are no rules to follow, no screen shots to refer to.

Everything can be done like the builder prefers to have it...

• Like 1

Super! That extra cover plate over the bolts is a great idea.

Just a thought, I saw some cheap dual LED light board kits that give off an adjustable fade in fade out flash (the red LEDs can be switched out for white or blues). The board can be decorated to look more or less like a part of the inner chamber, perhaps using the part already there but having the LED bulbs mounted behind them. Might be an extra detail worth adding.

In Japan at the dollar stores they sell these bicycle tire tube caps that have tiny domed LED lights on them, operating on 3 small watch batteries. They are trigger by movement. Another cheap idea if you are interested. I use them in my daughter's Jawa ion blasters. 

That is a great idea. I like the idea for the red/blue "charges" inside of the receiver. I wonder if clear resin 9mm bullets can be cast with one of those bi-color (red/blue) leds inside the tip, wired to one of those tiny fade boards Brian mentioned (like this board from sparkfun) to look like glowing red/blue "bullets/charges" (as in Tino's recent bullet mod, but glowing red/blue). Maybe these can even be attached to the selector switch so that they glow blue or red depending on whether stun or blast are selected.  

I am loving the sniper rifle, btw. 

• Like 1

Thanks Brian, Tino & Sean.

Ideas over ideas. Ian will have a hard time to decide on all this... :lol:

Hmm, yes. It's good and bad when you learn of new idea/products that can possibly be incorporated. Will have to do some more research. Luckily I did only affix that panel with E6000, so I can pry it off if I change my mind

That is an excellent idea with the magnets! I am currently starting my doopy E11 build and this is something I will look into for sure. :)

Cheers mate and welcome to the FISD. Be sure to check out the E-11 Build Reference for lots of cool tips and tricks like that one.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32111-fisd-e-11-blaster-reference/

• 1 month later...

I've put the wish list items (lights, laser pointers, etc) on hold while I tend to other projects (R6 Astromech being the major one) and we'll call this finished for now. I need 2 books Tino's writing - the book on weathering and the book on photography. I'm ordinary at one and hopeless at the other. About 12 shots (indoors, outdoors, sun, shade), I'm left with 2 worth posting. I'll try get one in gear at the next troop, but not sure when that actually is, could be a while away.

P1030627_zpstnkfkzgo.jpg

P1030630_zpsbv8oumtq.jpg

Thanks for stopping by as always

Ian

Edited by Sith Lord
  • Like 2

Ian, this thing is so damn cool  :jc_doublethumbup:

You turned this into something very special and made the best out of the little references that were available.
Looks absolutely believable. I really love every add-on in this build - and there are a lot: bipod, tactical grip, big scope and rear stock.

Nevertheless it still has the typical look of a Star Wars blaster and can immediately be recognized as a piece from that universe.

A perfect match for every biker scout.

• Like 1