Help with storm trooper costume

Welcome, Kevin!  Some great advice for your here so far, but if I may expand a bit on a few subjects...

As far as "taking a risk" building your own armor, I assure you it is minimum.  There are literally thousands here that have done it, and many of them had never built more than a piece of Ikea furniture, (or less),  but they followed the hundreds of tutorials available, and along with unlimited help from members of the FISD, and their armor came out great.  Does it take time?  Of course!  Is it worth all the effort?  Unbelievably so.  Many people start their own "build thread" in which they post pictures of their progress and ask questions along the way, which is what I recommend.  Don't be afraid of asking questions, even if you think they may have been answered a thousand times before.  We have all "been there", and are here to help.  The end result is that you will have a great looking set of custom fit armor.

It sounds like you are a bit hesitant about joining the 501st and FISD...  Here is another way to think about it:  When you do get your armor approved, a whole new world will open up to you.  Instead of wearing unapproved armor once a year at Halloween, you will be able to use yours all year long!  We are asked to appear, or "troop" at thousands of charity events, comicons, weddings, concerts, children's hospitals, pro baseball games, etc., which can be an absolute blast.  Many only last a few hours, and you can pick and choose the ones you want to attend, but I must warn you... it is addicting.   Besides making a lot of new friends, when you see the giant smile and give a high five to a kid (even grown-up kids) who is seeing a "real" Stormtrooper for the first time, it makes it all worth it.  Trust me.

• Like 6

Well cool it sounds like fun I am uh having someone build mine this time around hopefully after I return this crap I bought but yea I do think I really want to join I live in lakwood Colorado trying to get this done for Comiccon that I volunteer for each year and yea my other hopes was to wear it to things for disabled children like my cousin who has autism or other things like that but I do by the sound of it want to join just have to wait to return this product like I said which will happen Saturday then I can get the ball rolling for having someone make my costume but I would like to join definitely heard there are alot of vets there I was in the Navy for a brief time so yea sounds like something I want to b a part of.

• Like 2

To find the closest Garrison check out www.501st.com and you can check the garrisons there. It looks like you would want to head to the Mountain Garrison www.mg501.com. You should also take a look there to see if anyone is close to you. Most garrisons/squads will have armor build/mod parties now and then, which could be a huge help.

You don't have to have a costume to sign up for garrison forums.  It would be good to introduce yourself to your perspective garrison, and for most events there is always a need for handlers and people to assist in some way during events.  It's a good way to get involved with the 501st before you can actually join with a completed costume. I'm not a 501st member as of yet, but I am headed to a garrison armor party on the 10th. 

Edited by Jinsei
  • Like 1

You don't have to have a costume to sign up for garrison forums.  It would be good to introduce yourself to your perspective garrison, and for most events there is always a need for handlers and people to assist in some way during events.  It's a good way to get involved with the 501st before you can actually join with a completed costume. I'm not a 501st member as of yet, but I am headed to a garrison armor party on the 10th. 

I agree. The best source of information is to get in contact directly with a 501st member from a local/nearest garrison and introduce yourself. I personally spoke to a potential new garrison member/individual interested in Stormtrooper armor a couple days ago. We exchanged a couple emails at first then spoke on the phone for a while a few days later. We plan on meeting each other sometime in the next few weeks and he'll be able to examine my armors and get a better first hand understanding of the whole process.

New helmet kit - Much more accurate helmet kit. 3 piece helmet design for very durable helmet with no stretched thin areas. Trim lines have been added that should make assembly extremely easy. Screw hole dimples have been added. Includes 2 styles of decals, UK brow, edge trim, Aluminum HOVI's, Nuts and bolts, and both flat and bubble lenses.<br><br>

Armor Pieces<br>

Shoulder bells<br>

Shoulder straps, 2 styles, ribbed and smooth<br>

Chest<br>

Upper back <br>

Ab plate<br>

Lower back, butt plate <br>

Biceps<br>

Forearms<br>

Hand pieces, 3 styles, ANH, ESB, Cheese grater<br>

Center ab plate <br>

Side button strip<br>

New thermal detonator with custom extruded tube in the correct gray color<br>

Abdomen belt<br>

Drop boxes, 4 pieces, Inner and outer<br>

Thighs<br>

Calf/shins<br>

Thigh belt<br>

Knee plates, 2 styles, diamond and standard TK<br>

Extra ABS for use with shims / cover strips<br><br>

Changes to the AM 2.0:<br>

-Helmet has been completely redesigned to be more accurate in overall size, and tube size. Still maintains our 3 piece design for durability. Trim lines and screw dimples have been added for easier assembly<br>

-Overlap strips have been removed from the Calves and thighs and will require butt-joint / cover strip method of assembly. <br>

-Calves have been remade to be more accurate, fit better, and no more over lap strips..<br>

-Thermal Detonator has been redesigned with a new custom extruded abs tube in the correct gray color, with new control pad and caps.<br>

-New shoulder straps, also including smooth ones for TD builds.<br>

-New abdomen and knee belts, more accurate.<br>

-New drop boxes, includes inner drop boxes<br>

-New more accurate knee plates<br>

- chest completely redesigned to be more accurate and acceptable for all levels of approval<br>

- Back plate completely redesigned to be more accurate a d acceptable for all levels of approval<br>

- biceps modified to only one spoon and overlap removed for butt joint / cover strip assembly<br>

-forearms completely resculpted to be more accurate and overlap removed.<br>

- Completely resculpted shoulder bells to be more accurate<br><br>

FULL Kits Include:<br>

ALL body armor pieces. <br>

New helmet kit <br>

ABS cement <br>

ABS polish<br><br>

LITE Kits Include:<br>

ALL body armor pieces. <br><br>

What else will you still need to acquire? (from other sources)<br><br>

Boots<br>

Gloves<br>

Neck Seal<br>

Under Suit<br>

Canvas Belt <br>

Holster<br>

Blaster<br>

Voice Amplifier <br>

Thermal Detonator clips<br><br>

SIZING INFO:<br>

AM armor is made with the idea that every trooper is going to be a different size. Because of this, the kit comes with extra plastic on each piece to allow for assembly with minimal (if any) use of shims. So while the armor does come beautifully trimmed, you will still more than likely need to trim the armor down to your specific size for a perfect fit. I have had troopers from the range of 5'5 up to 6'5 fit into AM armor with various degrees of trimming. Please feel free to inquire with your size to ask if it will fit you, but the answer is most likely "yes", depending on how you trim it. <br><br>

MISC ARMOR INFO: <br>

ALL pieces are vac-formed from high gloss .090 ABS plastic, then trimmed and sanded, wrapped and packed for shipping. <br><br>

PICTURES: <br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Troopergear/library/Troopergear'>http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Troopergear/library/Troopergear</a><br><br>

PRICING:<br><br>

Glossy White FULL kit - $620 + Shipping<br><br>

Glossy White LITE kit - $520 + Shipping<br><br>

If you would like to place an order for this run, let me know your zip code or country, and i can get you a total price quote including shipping. We are currently taking orders for the next armor run with an approx ship date of early/mid January.

here:<br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://s962.photobucket.com/user/authenticprops/library/AP%20Stormtrooper%20armor?sort=6&page=1'>http://s962.photobucket.com/user/authenticprops/library/AP%20Stormtrooper%20armor?sort=6&page=1</a><br><br><br>

NEW UPGRADES, OPTIONS AND FEATURES!!!!<br><br>

Our kits now include accurate hovi mic tips, centurion approved painted on look decals so no more painting required, also include movie accurate rivets for your centurion build and optional movie accurate white rubber hand guards and detonator metal clips required for centurion approval.<br><br><br>

ANH STUNT STORMTROOPER ARMOR/HELMET CASTED OFF ORIGINAL<br><br>

Our ANH trooper armor can be easily custom fitted for a wide range of body types to easily fit a 6 feet + tall person up to 38 waist 200lbs, we include extra matching ABS shims if needed and can easily trimmed down to fit a smaller framed person.<br><br>

Our kits are professionaly made of .80 gauge white gloss ABS plastic, no painting required! Produced using professional industrial vaccumforming machines to ensure a high quality product, kit includes matching ABS plastic strips for assembling and shimming.<br>

Helmet includes brow/neck rubber trim, green lens, new centurion approved painted on look decals, nuts and bolts to assemble helmet, movie correct split rivets and cap rivets requires for your centurion build, we also offer movie accurate Genuine ANH Leather Holster and gloves sold separately.<br><br>

Always remember, you get what you pay for! There are cheaper kits out there but be warned! many are 2nd or 3rd generation recasts with soft details, rough finish ect... ask for closeup photos and make sure details are crisp and clean, as you can see our parts are professionaly molded and details are super sharp no detail lost, every single detail is captured to the original movie suits, we have nothing to hide and the reason we come highly recommended from the 501st and many popular trooper websites<br><br>

KIT OPTIONS<br>

*************<br>

We offer two kit options, first option is a Untrimmed kit, meaning you have to trim and sand every single part yourself all parts are premarked for easy trimming, second option is a FULLY TRIMMED kit, all armor and helmet parts come fully trimmed and finished with all holes predrilled ready for assembly which is very easy, basically the hard part is done for you, the helmet assembles in minutes using only 8 nuts and bolts like the originals no glue is required, my kits are made of gloss white ABS platic like the movie originals, the only thing you need to paint is the small grey areas on the ears and frown section and the chin black. Since all parts are factory molded in white gloss ABS plastic they are easy to polish to brand new condition if scratched. <br><br>

ARMOR/HELMET KIT untrimmed<br>

All armor/helmet parts require full trimming and assembly, for a extra $50 we can fully trim just the helmet for you<br>

**************************************************************************************************<br>

Armor/Helmet kit (untrimmed) $799.00 + $90 shipping to USA, $50 Shipping to Canada (Oversea $150) <br>

Helmet kit only (untrimmed) $225.00<br>

White rubber hand guards (kit includes standard ABS ones not centurion approved) $30.00<br>

Metal detonator mounting clips (not included in kit required for 501st approval) $20.00<br>

Movie accurate leather holster $45.00<br>

Movie accurate rubber gloves $10.00<br>

Holster/gloves combo $50.00<br><br><br>

ARMOR/HELMET KIT fully trimmed not assembled<br>

All armor and helmet parts come fully trimmed ready for assembly<br>

********************************************************<br>

Armor/Helmet fully trimmed $1049.00 + $90 shipping to USA, $50 Shipping to Canada (Oversea $150) <br>

Helmet kit Fully trimmed $275.00<br>

Rubber hand guards (kit includes plastic ABS ones not centurion approved) $30.00<br>

Detonator metal mounting clips (not included in kit required for 501st approval) $20.00<br>

Movie accurate leather holster $45.00<br>

Movie accurate rubber gloves $10.00<br>

Holster/gloves combo $50.00<br><br><br>

ARMOR/HELMET FULLY BUILT READY TO WEAR out of the box $1350.00 + Shipping<br>

(Under suit, Gloves, Boots, Holster, Blaster, Neck seal, rubber hand guards, metal detonator clips not included)<br>

*********************************************************************************************<br>

Comes fully built ready to wear out of the box to Centurion level approval, shipping time on these will depend on workload but is usually approx. 8 weeks from time of order, to confirm order we require a $400 deposit to cover build/material cost which is done by a local authorized AP builder, balance require only when your order is ready to ship.<br><br><br>

E-11 Stormtrooper Blaster ready for trooping $170.00 + Shipping<br>

*************************************************************************<br>

Movie accurate ANH E-11 Stormtrooper blaster highy detailed durable resin blasters perfect for trooping, I will send you my contact info upon confirmation of order, these are made to order exclusively for our AP customers at the highest standards and will be shipped to you directly from maker to avoid any delays or damages.<br><br><br><br>

Stormtrooper Boots<br>

***********************<br>

501st approved boots are available at:www.imperialboots.com or www.tkboots.com <br><br><br>

ORDERING INFORMATION<br>

***********************<br>

Shipping time at the moment is approx. 4 weeks from time of down payment, fully trimmed kits require a extra 1-2 weeks to ship since trimming requires more time. Take into concideration that by the time new batch is ready we are usually sold out, if you wish to secure as set from upcoming batch we only require a $200 deposit for full armor kit or $75 for only helmet whichgoes toward the final price of the armor, balance required only when your order is ready to ship. Please paypal to: stormtrooper-1977@hotmail.com<br><br><br>

PAYMENTS ACCEPTED <br>

************************<br>

PAYPAL (add 3.5 % Fees ) to: stormtrooper-1977@hotmail.com<br>

Money Orders Interac (For Canadian customers)<br><br><br>

Here are just a few of many satisfied AP customers build progress.********************************************************<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32965-tk-88118-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap191/#entry427226'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32965-tk-88118-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap191/#entry427226</a><br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33077-tk-74614-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap193/?hl=armor'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/33077-tk-74614-requesting-anh-stunt-centurion-status-ap193/?hl=armor</a><br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32917-tk-21814-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-ap500/?hl=armor#entry428218'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/32917-tk-21814-requesting-anh-stunt-eib-status-ap500/?hl=armor#entry428218</a><br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30595-ap-armour-with-anh-centurion-as-goal-build-thread/page-9'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/30595-ap-armour-with-anh-centurion-as-goal-build-thread/page-9</a><br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28970-tusken-finally-cleans-up-ap-tk-build-started/'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28970-tusken-finally-cleans-up-ap-tk-build-started/</a><br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29697-joblesspunks-ap-stormtrooper-build/page-6'>http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/29697-joblesspunks-ap-stormtrooper-build/page-6</a><br><br><br><br>

Mark (AuthenticProps)

VoiceBooster Voice Amplifier 10watts Black MR1506 (Aker) by TK Products, Portable, for Teachers, Coaches, Tour Guides, Presentations, Costumes, Etc. Voicebooster Icomm -Imperial Communication System -Static Burst Effect Like Stormtrooper VoiceBooster Headset Microphone for VoiceBooster (Aker) Voice Amplifiers by TK Products, LLC<br><br>

This item:VoiceBooster Voice Amplifier 10watts Black MR1506 (Aker) by TK…<br>

$57.95 <br><br>

Voicebooster Icomm -Imperial Communication System -Static…<br>

$150.00<br><br>

VoiceBooster Headset Microphone for VoiceBooster…<br>

$14.00 those are what I also bought from amazon please give me advice whether I should keep them or not

Voice booster, I Comm, that's all good. Not required for approval, but it makes you sound like a real Stormtrooper with the static bursts.

And I don't know if anyone asked this yet, but what's your body type? Some armors fit certain body types better than others.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk