Help with storm trooper costume

Hi so i am new at dressing up as a storm trooper I bought one at amazon it has authenticity from star wars themselves but have issues with the helmet it is hard plastic just looks really fragile any advice er or help oh and still need to get a blaster.. but i'm not that crafty or anything so i skipped trying to make my own. No I am not in the 501st i am debating it just really want to get this costume down please help... 

That, my friend is a Rubies Stormtrooper. I would recommend returning it for a refund if you can, or selling it on eBay and take a bit of a loss. If you would rather keep it, it is very possible you can get meet 501st requirements with some good work. It's been done by a few folks here who own that suit. It will be easiest to convert it to a Return of the Jedi style costume, instead of one from A New Hope or Empire Strikes Back. You should direct any questions you have about the Rubies to ROTJ conversion to Toddo, who was able to attain level 2 certification (EIB) with his Rubies suit.

You will need to replace the helmet for sure. If you are keeping the armor, you should go for a ROTJ style helmet to go with it. Troopermaster and sskunky both sell ROTJ helmets, either in kit form or fully built. If you can't afford those options, an ANH painted and modifed to look like an ROTJ might be passable for basic membership, but I would wait for someone else to chime in on that first. Good luck.

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Edited by SolidScrafty

Well so where would i be able to find a decent suit then that is more durable than this one because I am a bit disappointed with the helmet i have not even checked the armor out but judging on the helmet i am not sure I am excited about it...

Edited by blackdeath

Well so where would i be able to find a decent suit then that is more durable than this one because I am a bit disappointed with the helmet i have not even checked the armor out but judging on the helmet i am not sure I am excited about it...

Take a look at the link I included in my response. It contains contact information for all of the recommended vendors for Stormtrooper armor.

Well this sucks I am glad i am not the only one upset with the helmet just i hope crafting one is not the only way to get one other wise guess I won't be a storm trooper.

You can get them fully built, which will cost extra. Even still, helmet kits are not terribly difficult to put together. There is a wealth of information here on how to assemble helmet and armor kits. You're in the right place!  ;)

But would I have to build mine or can I actually buy one that works is durable and decent looking?

It's up to you. Several of the vendors that you'll find here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

-- offer fully finished and wearable helmets.

ok thaks uh ill try to find it if not ill ask you for uh guidance of where I need to go...

Read a few threads within here for a while. http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/38-getting-started-read-this-first/

Feel free to ask questions  :)

Hi Kevin. When reading this thread I can sense your urgency. Please, take a breath and we will do our best to help you through this. Like mike mentioned I would highly recommend you return the Rubies for a refund. Then take your time and do some research on this forum. Contact some armor makers and get some pricing. Your height and weight will be important as far as which armor maker you decide on. <br><br>

There are a few venders that offer a fully built suit. I believe they are AP, RS and TM. Also ask around here. There are a few members who will build the armor for you. If you are looking to join the 501st you can get in contact with your local garrison and maybe they can help with an armor building party. <br><br>

Good luck and welcome to FISD.

• Like 2

I appreciate the help ya I am going to  return it since I used amazon and it looks horrible not to mention how flimsy it looks but as far as garrison goes I am not sure if there is even one in my state as far as crafting stuff I mean I am more than willing to learn but have no skill what so ever on it... but yea I do not mind doing a building party if I need too just I have loved storm troopers since I was eight roughly seeing the episode four on dvd that my parents had i just hope it is even possible for me to be one but yea thanks again... i am thinking maybe this one but yea hopefully it works out... still need a blaster but I think I am keeping the boots i bought because they do not look too bad and keeping the voice changer i have the rest I am thinking of sending back though.. but this is who I going with er maybe atm Type: AM

Kit: .090 gauge ABS - trimmed - Fan sculpt
Availability: Expect 1-2 months
Assembly: Butt joining required for the legs. Arms can be overlapped but trimming those overlaps off and butt joining is recommended. Comes trimmed out of the box, but you will still be required to trim for fitness to your body size.
Comments: An updated version of the older AM kits with a more accurate helmet and some other accessories. Best suited for the larger troopers who can have problems fitting into screen-sized kits. Comes in full or "lite" kits. Lit kits come without helmet, ABS cement or polish.

Edited by blackdeath

Also i have not decided yes or no about joining the 501st due to work schedule and college but yea I mean it sounds interesting and in case your wondering I live in Lakewood, Colorado... to see if any garrisons live er or are by me I am trying to get a costume to wear for comic con in denver for when I volunteer this year since this will be my fourth year there and want to build something decent and spectacular like you all do...and welcome to the 501st???? i did not think i was in but if you or anyone else is helping me solve this issue that is great...

Edited by blackdeath

I did buy boots as well as neck piece do you mind giving me advice whether i need to return that as well or no?

boots-http://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Mens-Trooper-12-Combat-Boot/dp/B00NXY3HTG/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

neck piece-http://www.amazon.com/Stormtrooper-Trooper-Deluxe-Ribbed-Accessories/dp/B015IHEBV8/ref=cts_sh_3_fbt

I did buy boots as well as neck piece do you mind giving me advice whether i need to return that as well or no?

boots-http://www.amazon.com/Funtasma-Mens-Trooper-12-Combat-Boot/dp/B00NXY3HTG/ref=cts_ap_1_fbt

neck piece-http://www.amazon.com/Stormtrooper-Trooper-Deluxe-Ribbed-Accessories/dp/B015IHEBV8/ref=cts_sh_3_fbt

Those boots should get you into the 501st no problem, but that extra seam on the front may block you for level 2 and 3 certification. 

The neck seal looks good, though the "one size fits most" line worries me a bit. For any future Stormtrooper-related purchases, I would recommend buying from the people who sell here. It's always a gamble when it comes to quality when you buy from eBay and Amazon. 

Hi Kevin,

Coming from another new recruit to this.. the people here are great.

I too am excited about getting my new armor and luckily found the forums here before I did exactly what you did. But don't fret.. just take deep breaths. There are tons of interesting small builds you can do to help get you into the spirit of things as well as cover your time until your armor arrives.

I haven't come across a single member of the forum that isn't willing to offer some helpful advice.

Did you know you can put Fans in your helmet!? Laughs, I thought that was so neat! You'll find interesting chats on that and other items in the Build sections and stuff.

If I had my way I'd fly out to see Mark of AP and get my Armor immediately... but it doesn't work that way. Armor takes time to build.

Some suggestions of things you can do while you wait are:

- read the forums for information

- do smaller builds as mentioned before of other items that are fun

- get to know all the amazing people here

- find your local garrison (there are lists n stuff on here of that as well)

I'm looking to make my first set of TK - binders (they are like handcuffs that were used on Chewy) this weekend. :)  Instructions are on the forum here for that.. looks like a fun project.

Good luck on your Journey.. I'm excited and am looking forward to getting started... but as with all good things.. HURRY UP and Wait! BLAH!

Happy New Year!! move along... move along... :smiley-sw013:

• Like 2