Question about helmet frown detailing

Hi guys! I have my RS kit coming in soon and have been working hard on a project plan for it. I'm trying to pay a lot of attention to detail on the helmet exterior and interior so it looks and feels very realistic whilst also being 501st approved. This brings me to the frown on the helmet. I see everyone painting these areas gray, but I'm wondering if we can make it a little more realistic upon close inspection. I know the requirements state:

"Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area. Six total teeth on the frown are cut out and the frown is tapered at the ends."

However, what if I were to fabricate overlays into these areas rather than paint them, using a gray vinyl material, aluminum sheet (no not foil, real aluminum), or perhaps even flat sterling silver. You'd get a much more uniform surface appearance with very sharp angles versus hand painting. Depending on the material, it would appear metallic with a small sheen on it which I think would be very realistic of a "real" helmet. Yet, does this idea invalidate the detail for 501st approval?

I see everyone painting these areas gray, but I'm wondering if we can make it a little more realistic upon close inspection.

Upon close inspection? Where are they silver or aluminum? I'm confused.

I wouldn't try to reinvent the wheel. There is a reason why 99% of helmet builds are painted.

The 501st guidelines falls in line with the way and methods that the original prop builders in the OT actually built the screen used armor. These methods may not be the most "idealized" but nonetheless it's the standard for the legion. On the outside view of the armor there is generally no room for customization. Accuracy to screen appearance is priority. Being that your getting an RS kit, which is formed from an original screen used suit you'll really see how wonky and imperfect it really is in real life(especially the bucket). Initially it bothered me but you'll find its the imperfections that give the original TK it's iconic look and what people remember most about it. I'm not a GML and I would wait for their input, but imo you probably need to stick to the basic guidelines for approval.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by Ragnarzrage
  • Like 1

First, it sounds like you are perfectionist, Derrick, which is a good thing!  Like Michael,, I am not a GML, but I am highly doubting if using anything but paint would meet with 501st approval.  The CRLs are pretty specific on these things, and one of the main reasons is continuity.  I am thinking (hoping) that you will be shooting for EIB and then Centurion, (especially with RS armor), and believe it or not, if the area is properly prepared (sanded and taped off) and you use a high quality enamel paint, the frown will be not only as smooth as glass, but will have razor sharp lines.  If you need a few tips on how to do this, just PM me and I will be happy to share them with you.  You could also use decals, but I have the feeling you don't want to go that route!  

I've been a DL, DO and GML.

If you're going to make a display piece just for yourself there's no wrong of doing it. But if you want to join the 501st you should use paint.

Great, thanks for the input. I can easily understand the points raised here, and will stick to using a flat enamel paint sticking with the guidelines verbatim rather than thinking to improve on a minor detail for individually perceived quality improvement purposes. It's easy to see that we all want to remain consistent rather than deviate from a set standard. Cheers! :)

• Like 1