Boozing & Trooping

Forgive the title...I don't mean boozing while actually "trooping" for 501st events/activities, but I'm curious about wanting to enjoy some drinks while in costume elsewhere. e.g. Halloween parties, etc. Ideally it'd be nice to keep the helmet on while doing so. 

Does anyone have experience with this? I have a friend who dressed as the Stig for one Halloween and re-molded a plastic drinking straw so that he could drink from a cup/bottle without removing his helmet. I figured someone in the 501st would've have already come up with this solution or another one. It just occurred to me that you could make some alternations to a beer helmet, rig it to your bucket then BOOM - solution! That would probably make the costume extra funny too.   B)

Thoughts? Experiences? Ideas?

Drew

My opinion here, drinking alcohol and wearing armour, is almost like drinking alcohol and going close to water... It doesn't mix... Water with alcohol, swimming/boating, is asking for trouble. Wearing armour and consuming alcohol, I feel is doing the same. Do you really want to take the chance, and find out you fall, or trip, and crack something? <br>

Personally, I'd rather show up, get suited up, or show up in armour, then if I want to consume alcohol, take the armour off. Personally, I have too much fun in the armour to consume these beverages... Up to you though, just stating my own opinions...

• Like 1

Hi there!

Most of the articles I've read here on drinking "regular fluids" usually requires the de-bucket or the use of a Camel Pack.

However when it comes to alcohol your in a whole different situation and honestly can't/ wouldn't recommend doing it.

I am, by no means trying to be a party pooper but honestly wouldn't recommend drinking too much whilst in uniform as your safety is involved.

Here are my reasons why:

1) Ever drank alcohol in a hot tub? - the heat from the armor makes you sweat dehydrating you, the alcohol even more so creating heat fatigue and one heck of headache.

2. Don't break the seal - going to the bathroom frequently could become frustrating and requires more coordination the more you drink.

3. Rough housing - people who have had a few drinks start to think your armor is real. Vern TK 2392 Bondservnt wrote a thread on here about a trooper getting clocked at a bar while wearing his helmet with a not so pretty outcome.

Again, I just want everyone to be safe and enjoy themselves responsibly, so if I may, I would like to recommend a few suggestions:

1. Keep the bucket off and only put it on for pictures. This serves a few purposes - help reduce over heating and that there is human being in the armor.

2. Prior to party eat lots to help keep you fueled and absorb some of the fun you will be drinking.

3. Hydrate - for every alcoholic drink you have drink one 500ml bottle of water.

4. When people start to stagger/slur - go take your armor off and get into something more comfortable and enjoy yourself sweat free and happy knowing you don't have to take your armor off "gooned" and that your armor is safe from vomit, breakage, and other accidents.

Cheers mate, have a stellar time, and if you follow the guidelines you should be able to manage a happy buzz with minimal chance for incidents.

Happy holidays and be safe fellow trooper!

Edited by Pyrates
  • Like 1

Here's the link to that thread I was referring to earlier:

So who here wears their armor like, every halloween?

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?/topic/33603-So-who-here-wears-their-armor-like%2C-every-halloween%3F

• Like 1

My opinion... Drinking while in armor = Bad idea. Even more-so, being around other people who are drinking. Aside from the obvious dehydration and bathroom break issues, I definitely wouldn't wear my armor to a Halloween party or any place where friends or strangers are drinking and/or getting the least bit rowdy.  I've heard stories from a few people who've been smacked on top of the helmet repeatedly, arms thrown over their shoulders, and given over-zealous bear hugs that almost knock them over... Not fun, and can be pretty painful. I'd advise keeping your armor for trooping and think of a different costume for Halloween parties. You'll see what I mean when you realize how much time and money you put into your armor and just how uncomfortable it can be wearing for long periods of time.  It's just not worth the risk.  

• Like 3

Le'ts not forget the term "beer goggles" can take on a whole new meaning here.  Your field of vision while wearing a bucket is limited, to say the least, but add a few brewskis, and you could be in for a bad experience.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and comments. Perhaps I should have caveated this, but my intention was certainly not to get plastered while wearing armor. Nonetheless, the risks are certainly there with any level of drinking. I think Aaron's lengthy advice is pretty solid. Breaking the seal and other drunk, rowdy people would probably be the two biggest issues. With that said, would still like to use my armor for certain social events, but I'll use good judgment in terms of the environment (people I know and trust) and level of consumption (keeping it to a "happy buzz").

Thanks!

Edited by brasf87
  • Like 2