ATA Helmet Eye Socket Depth

cedron

So, I'm building my first ATA helmet and these boards have been tons of help! Now I've run into something that I can't seem to find a definitive answer to.

How deep should the eye sockets be? I've cut right along the lines in the ATA helmet eye sockets, but looking at all the photos online, I can't tell if this is the right size and shape to keep the sockets or not. Should I cut them down more or leave them as they are now?

I'm sorry if this is already answered somewhere that I just haven't found. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Looks like you are pretty much there, Jim.  At this point I would just sand down the edges a bit to smooth out the burrs, especially around the area opposite the pencil.  Nice paint job on the frown!

Both eyes have fairly well defined ridges that marked the original eye openings. It looks to me that the Left eye (if you are wearing the helmet) could stand to have a bit more taken out of the outer edge. Nice work, so far!

If you're planning on using the solid strip of smoked plastic for the eyes consider leaving some gap for air flow. I've seen lots of troopers either mount it flush or trim two lenses and seal them all the way around. I've left mine as a solid strip and mounted it with the screws in the ears leaving a bit more of a beveled edge inside so the visor doesn't sit completely flush. It works well for ventilation.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, this is all great advice and really helpful.

Both eyes have fairly well defined ridges that marked the original eye openings. It looks to me that the Left eye (if you are wearing the helmet) could stand to have a bit more taken out of the outer edge. Nice work, so far!

Thanks. I'll check to see if I missed the lines and I'll take the outer top edge down a little more. By the way, your tutorials on the helmet and the ears helped me out a lot. Thanks a ton for sharing your tips. Even though I was so careful, I picked up gaps when putting the final screws in. :(  But I take solace in this part of your tutorial and accept it as it is: "First and most important thing to remember is the the ears on the original helmets were FAR from perfect."  :)  

Looks like you are pretty much there, Jim.  At this point I would just sand down the edges a bit to smooth out the burrs, especially around the area opposite the pencil.  Nice paint job on the frown!

Great idea to smooth out the burrs. I think I'd planned to do that and never remembered to get back to it.

More generally, it's great to get the positive comments on this board. Everyone is very supportive on these boards. I think it's a little nerve wracking to put my own personal work up here for review when there are so many awesome examples that are way better than mine. To post and get encouragement rather than criticism, helps a lot. I'm really glad for these boards and the spirit of working together that everyone has.

If you're planning on using the solid strip of smoked plastic for the eyes consider leaving some gap for air flow. I've seen lots of troopers either mount it flush or trim two lenses and seal them all the way around. I've left mine as a solid strip and mounted it with the screws in the ears leaving a bit more of a beveled edge inside so the visor doesn't sit completely flush. It works well for ventilation.

I've done something similar, but with using three tabs of Velcro for each eye. My hero lenses are one strip, but change these out with two flat smoky lenses so I can see while trooping. Velcro helps for the quick change.

I thought I'd come back here and give an update on what I did. Based on your feedback, I knew I was really close. Measuring and carefully comparing the look of both sides and looking for any of the original mold lines that I may have missed I decided to remove up to 1.5 mm off of the very edge of the left eye socket and tapering down to the remaining.

Below are the pics of what I marked to remove and the results. I'm very happy with how it came out. Thanks again for everyone's advice. 

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed
  • Like 2