E11 and movie theatres

• 3 weeks later...

I can understand not wanting weapons, especially realistic looking ones, but the mask rule is pretty absurd. If someone's going to carry out some sort of attack at a theatre, they're not going to leave their mask at home because it's against theatre policy. It's safe to assume by that point that they don't give a damn about the theatre's policies if they're going there to attack people.

People see masked people with weapons they get scared... While walking around the park and to my kids school, the police have been alerted to my presence as someone called them with the report reading, "Masked man with a gun."

Masked men with guns, yes. That's why I said I can understand the aversion to troopers carrying blasters unless it's a big, sanctioned event like a parade or a fan filmĀ or something.

Ā 

The idea of a rational adult actually being scared by seeing someone in a Stormtrooper outfit is baffling to me, honestly. I know that not everyone is familiar with Star Wars, but when you see a guy that's obviously wearing some kind of costume? People get scared way too easily.

• Like 1

So did all of you see the pictures from the premier last night?????

Ā 

Guess what, all troopers had blasters!

Ā 

I was at Disneyland on Saturday and there were two cast First order troopers patrolling the area every 30 minutes and guess what, Blasters. Believe it or not they also sell E-11's and light sabers there too.

Ā 

So where is the consistency? They ask the 501st not to do it but they do it at all high profile events. So LFL/Disney, "don't do it but we will continue to".

Ā 

I have a very different opinion than others I guess. Seeing blasters and a storm trooper does not make someone go on a mass shooting. Bad people do and are going to continue to do bad things. So what is the difference in seeing a live trooper with a blaster or watching the movie and seeing them actually shoot?

Ā 

Should police officers and the military stop carrying guns because someone might see them and wand to do bad things?

Ā 

I think it has gotten ridiculous. That is my opinion and I don't condone breaking any 501st rules but it is ridiculous.

Ā 

Any idiot knows a trooper with a blaster isn't going to hit anyone anyways.

Ā 

It is sad that everything here is constantly, "screen accurate, screen accurate" over and over then no blasters and buckets. Most have worked so hard and long to make their TK as good as they can and can't share that now.

Ā 

I played cops and robbers as a kid with cap guns, imagined we were Luke and Han fighting troopers, played video games with shooting and target shoot real firearms and like 99.9% of the population have never thought of harming another person. Even in countries with total firearms bans bad things still happen.Ā 

Ā 

Viva La E-11!

Edited by mikidymac

Stop whining.

I didn't think I was.

I was just stating that I don't think they should say not to bring blasters then they go and do it. I also don't think seeing a blaster makes people do bad things.

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 1

I didn't think I was.

I was just stating that I don't think they should say not to bring blasters then they go and do it. I also don't think seeing a blaster makes people do bad things.

You weren't and I tend to agree with you.

Ā 

It does look a lot like double standards when blasters were being carried last night yet we've been told no blasters.

Not sure where the screening was, but if it was the one sponsored by California, then it was seen as backed by LFL/Disney. We have a Canadian premier, yet the theatre we are trooping at doesn't want weapons to be brought by. <br><br>

Personally, I say, if in doubt check with your CO/XO, and if the rule applies, so be it. It's not our decision, or call to make. We must adhere to the rules set forth by the Legion, as we are members, not officers. The old saying of, "Our is not to ask the question why, Ours is to do or die", applies here lol

This was at the actual premier at the Chinese Theater with the cast, Lucas and Abrams there.

Ā 

I agree TK 2759, at a 501st event as a 501st you must follow the direction given even if you don't agree with them.

Ā 

fo2_zpssioa9e8t.jpg

Edited by mikidymac
  • Like 1

The 501st members that did participate last night were asked to leave their blasters. I'm not 100% sure but I think these were not 501st members. Probably Disney casted actors.

That doesn't much change the perceived hypocrisy that people are feeling. It still comes across as a "doĀ as we say, not as we do" attitude.

Ā 

They're putting their own costumed actors with blasters on the scene, but then they don't want any 501st there with blasters? What are they afraid of, exactly? The crowd certainly won't be able to tell the difference.

• Like 1

Playing the devil's advocate here...

Ā 

It could be a security issue with such a high profile event. If it was actual Disney staff they could have done background checks and provided the inspected and safe blasters. With the 501st members being only "general public" I could see the security issue.

Ā 

Not saying that this is what happened but a good possibility. That is until a 501st member says nope, it was me and they didn't even check my blaster. For all we know they could have been actual FO troopers with real blasters making some side money as hired security, I hear the Empire doesn't pay very well.

Edited by mikidymac

Playing the devil's advocate here...

Ā 

It could be a security issue with such a high profile event. If it was actual Disney staff they could have done background checks and provided the inspected and safe blasters. With the 501st members being only "general public" I could see the security issue.

Ā 

Not saying that this is what happened but a good possibility. That is until a 501st member says nope, it was me and they didn't even check my blaster. For all we know they could have been actual FO troopers with real blasters making some side money as hired security, I hear the Empire doesn't pay very well.

Being Disney/LFL staff they'd fall under Corporate Insurances and Legal Aid. So if there were any charges against these actors, the charges would be against the Corporations, who could defend themselves, not like us, (501st Legion) who would be responsible for our own lawyers and no insurance policies... Just a thought...

Grow some guts and say "no, thanks, no but no" when they ask for casting 501st members.

Ā 

DonĀ“t run to them like little puppies as soon as they need some plastic spacemen. If you donĀ“t agree with their way to handle things, refrain from participating in running around in armor.

IMO, that would only slap us in the face in the long run... We have a good relationship with LFL/Disney, and technically, should not be biting the hand that feeds us... After all, we are a costuming group, who are using their licensed product for charity events as well as their own events.