Overwhelming ...

Hello I am new to stormtrooper building and not very good at constructing costumes.  Most projects I have worked on I really mess up and don't have the crafters thumb I guess you could call it that.   I have done some research on all kinds of things that need to be done to a trooper outfit not prebuilt.  I considered buying from stormtroopershop just for the sheer fact that they are the only company that sells the whole kit with almost everything right at the click of a button and the only ones that sell a reduced size (I am 5.3'').   I have the money to buy a suit 1500$ but don't really have the proper accomadations or extra money to actually work and modify a suit to the stature that I have seen on this forum and feel sadly really overwhelmed at all the physical hours other people spend on there outfits. So within reason what should I do ?

Hey Rev,

I think you may be psyching yourself out here for no reason. At the base what you'll need to be doing is trimming to get the size you need which every new suit needs for a proper fit. 

90% of this stuff can be ordered in an afternoon on here if you really want to. There are plenty of videos and post to lead you along. Please if you are going to spend 501st prices though we do have builders here who can help and I'm sure they can talk to you. in fact if you contact the armourers most of them will at least trim if not fully build for  bit of a fee. So you might be able to get a fully built good quality costume for that price here.  

Just whatever you do don't spend high quality prices on a low quality product.

• Like 2

Welcome, Rev!  First, if you are interested in joining the 501st, (and we hope you are), I would definitely steer well clear of stormtroopershop.   If you absolutely must have it pre-made, I would take a look here, http://www.rspropmasters.com/product/complete-stormtrooper-commission/.  Is it more expensive?  Yes, but it is basically approvable right out of the box.  I would take Eric's advice and seriously think about doing it yourself, though...  It takes some time, of course, but like he mentioned, there are multiple build threads available here for shorter Troopers, and literally hundreds of folks here more than willing to help you out.  You can take a look here as well,http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/if you haven't already, .  All the best to you on your TK journey, Rev.

Edited by justjoseph63
  • Like 1

Welcome aboard Rev, the guys have given you some sage advice.

Bear in mind non of us had ever built Stormtroopers armor before we joined up, so you are not alone. Patience and research will serve you well in this hobby.

Good luck on your journey.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I was pretty sure I would ruin my armor when I got the kit, but it turned ut all right!

Key is to look through some build threads, and if you can - join an armor workshop.

• Like 1

I'm a first time builder too and believe me I suck at crafting and building things. As this goes along there are days of jubilation )first time I got my legs and lower torso on) and days like today when the stupid thermal detonator looks like crap and I'm not sure I can fix it. I've found that when I'm haveing a bad day I just step away for a while. Reach out to the forums here or the armor masters in my garrison. One thing I do recommend is maybe get a simpler costume approved first (I did and officer first. And then a tie) so you can feel the fun of trooping. It will help motivate you more. And you get to see more armors and learn tons. My grist troop I found out about 10 things I was going to do was going to make my life hell on my build. Also don't kill yourself going for centurion for the first time build. I was stressing the hell out of myself. Now I realize that I want to troop more than have a sticker on my user name (sorry but true for now). And take your time! You will do fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree with Tony on taking a step back, not stressing yourself out, and focusing on having fun, I have to disagree on his attitude towards the higher standards of the EIB and Centurion program.  If you want to achieve the accuracy of those programs, you should aim for those standards right out of the gate.  It is MUCH easier to get to Centurion if you aim for it at the start.  In fact, I would say it really isn't any harder than standard approval.  What is extremely difficult is NOT aiming for Centurion from the outset, and then trying to convert your armour to it later.  If you have zero interest in EIB and Centurion, then no worries.  Get it done and get trooping!   If you do want this, however, do it from the start. No disrespect Tony, but you have not built armour to Centurion standard.  I am here to tell you, it really doesn't "kill you" to do it. 

Take your time, it's not a race, and if you're not having fun, take a break.  Have fun!!

• Like 2

While I agree with Tony on taking a step back, not stressing yourself out, and focusing on having fun, I have to disagree on his attitude towards the higher standards of the EIB and Centurion program.  If you want to achieve the accuracy of those programs, you should aim for those standards right out of the gate.  It is MUCH easier to get to Centurion if you aim for it at the start.  In fact, I would say it really isn't any harder than standard approval.  What is extremely difficult is NOT aiming for Centurion from the outset, and then trying to convert your armour to it later.  If you have zero interest in EIB and Centurion, then no worries.  Get it done and get trooping!   If you do want this, however, do it from the start. No disrespect Tony, but you have not built armour to Centurion standard.  I am here to tell you, it really doesn't "kill you" to do it. 

Take your time, it's not a race, and if you're not having fun, take a break.  Have fun!!

I'm in total agreement. This is what I'm aiming for out of the gates. The best thing you can do is not rush into anything without doing some diligent browsing. Take a breath and take it slowly focus on one aspect of your build at a time. 

I've found it helps if you zero in on one aspect of the suit at a time for instance for me I spend each week looking at maybe one or two small things, looking on the corresponding place in the forums to see what other troopers have done.

i.e this week it was boots. First I went to the Boots, Soft Parts and Other Accessories Forum (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/forum/42-boots-soft-parts-and-other-accessories/) browsed a bit and saw what other troops have been doing and weighed the pros and cons. I thought if I buy new boots from TK Boots or Imperial boots I'll have to spend more and wait a lot longer and I'll have to scuff up really nice expensive kicks to get my scuffy look. I asked around on the forum and I got some great advice. I was told what boots look the best for the price with faster shipping and even how to paint them to look like I wanted. From there I had a starting point to start bargain hunting for the right product.

That's just one example, but I think if you maybe deconstruct the build it may be more manageable and less stressful for you. Just know we're all in this together bro, and you have a great support network for pretty much any hang up you come across.

Hang in there, good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I am new to stormtrooper building and not very good at constructing costumes.  Most projects I have worked on I really mess up and don't have the crafters thumb I guess you could call it that.   I have done some research on all kinds of things that need to be done to a trooper outfit not prebuilt.  I considered buying from stormtroopershop just for the sheer fact that they are the only company that sells the whole kit with almost everything right at the click of a button and the only ones that sell a reduced size (I am 5.3'').   I have the money to buy a suit 1500$ but don't really have the proper accomadations or extra money to actually work and modify a suit to the stature that I have seen on this forum and feel sadly really overwhelmed at all the physical hours other people spend on there outfits. So within reason what should I do ?

I'm kind of in a similar situation to what you were in. Because I would prefer to have all the required TK armour and accessories delivered to me at once I've been contemplating spending the $3,000 AUD (converted from £1,449.99) for the ANH Stunt Complete Stormtrooper Commission from RS Prop Masters, as it comes with a full kit and the option to have it pre-trimmed, and the fact that I've never seen myself as a  'handyman' or good with tools when it comes to assembly. But because I know this is a ridiculous amount of money to spend and the fact I wouldn't otherwise have much involvement in its assembly I would feel that I'm somewhat cheating and not taking the time to make the costume my own.

Fortunately I think I've narrowed down two potential suppliers for me to buy a ANH Stunt from: ATA and AP. I've been told that AM should be used for taller body sizes (that is, taller than 6'2'') so I've steered away from that so far.

Edited by drunken hutt

Way more than half the fun is gathering all of the pieces yourself and the feeling of accomplishment from building something like this makes it worth the effort. You won't have the same connection to the armor if you get RS or anyone else to build it.<br><br>

I'm not saying don't do it. Different strokes for different folks you know.