Heat Gun or Boiling Water ?

Just a quick question.

Since I will have to reshape the wrist end of one of my forearms, and there's good chance I will have to do the other.

Plus there's the possibility of reforming some return edges.

Is a Heat Gun more practical over boiling water ?

I am trying to establish what one way will cover as many things as possible.

Edited by Artshot

If you've never used a heat gun before, use boiling water first.  Heat guns can get away from you real quick. If you must use a heat gun, use the low setting and be careful!

For return edges, use a sealing iron, NOT a heat gun.

I agree with Mutter, ABS turns from a shape to a floppy flat mess in the blink of an eye. Hot water is a safer bet. If you have spare ABS piece, have a play around with a heat gun and see how 1 second too much, can make a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. Use boiling water to reshape the plastic if at all possible. Save the heat gun as a last resort, and be exceedingly careful if you choose to use it.

Re-shaping the general shape of a part is possible with hot water, however you mentioned re-making return edges. Hot water will never heat the plastic enough to make the plastic mold able to bend into new-return edges. Ultra hot sources like a heat gun or a propane torch on the lowest possible setting should be tried only if you have experience!! A hobby iron works the best for return edges. The temp can be controlled and it can be don precisely to a pre-determined bend point. 

After reading the above, I think a heat gun is definitely off my shopping list, I am having enough trouble with E6000 (which I know I can remove and try again), I don't want to ruin rather than fix.

Good call on hot water not being able to heat the ABS enough to form a return edge, I had thought that if I treated it like reshaping then I could bend new return edges by hand.

Time to return to Amazon for a Sealing Iron.

Thanks All for the advice

If you have an old hair straightening iron, you can take that apart and just keep one half of it as a ghetto sealing iron. Works quite well and is free if you happen to have it. And if not, you can get a cheap one for even less than a purpose made heat sealing iron.

Just remember to properly isolate any leads so you don't shock yourself. ;)