Sv3 DD's resin kit build

=Sv3=

Sooooooo... After looking at my DD's full resin kit for a few weeks, I finally got down to starting to work on it!

Baby steps guys, baby steps!

Since I've caught a bad case of tonsillitis, I have plenty of time to post pictures :/

So here's the obligatory picture of the SBB (not that big of a box really ) :

m6uifSm.jpg

Bonus picture of my car, fortunately nicknamed "Stormy"!

So far, all I've drilled the front nozzle in order to put Hex screws in and I've started drilling the scope so that I can put lenses in :

DulAeOd.jpg

My goal with this build isn't to go super realistic like some of you guys but rather to see this through and have a reasonably nice blaster at the end. I will however try to build a "working" scope using squimpickle's and Trawn Guard's ideas.

I expect this to take me at least a few weeks but any help or suggestion you may have is appreciated!

Thanks for the mention in your thread and nice work so far on your build David.

If you are intending to use the prisms in your scope and they are the same as the ones I used, (your monocular in your photo above looks the same), bear in mind that they only just fit so you will need to open up the scope carefully.

If you have any questions on various aspects of your build I'm sure you will get lots of help from this forum and if I can help at all please feel free to let me know.

By the way I'm sure that shiny red workstation will soon be covered with resin dust  ;)

Thanks :) I don't know yet about the prisms, I hadn't considered it until I saw your build. I will look at your build for reference but my biggest fear is to bite more than I can chew...

I keep going back and forth in my mind about this and putting electronics in it... So many options and such limited skills :P

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

-insert some Jedi quote about our limitations being set only by ourselves-

Don't be afraid to fail, you are unlikely to do something completely irreparable. Small mistakes can easily be fixed by filler and sandpaper so let us be an audience as your ideas to become reality😎 Can't wait to see how it goes

Thanks Charles! I have to say, it's a good thing I have done a costume or two over the years, I'm more confident now then I used to.

I really like the fact that whatever I may want to do, there a pretty good chance someone's done it already and has made a thread about it.

I've done a bit more work on the scope today, nothing fancy but I've hollowed most of it... Pictures to come!

Edited by =Sv3=

I'll be watching this closely. My kit has been sitting in New York for the past few days (waiting to clear customs I'm guessing). Hopefully it will be here soon!

The waiting game is the worst. Worth it though!!! The moment you open the box, you kinda feel like a kid again.

Edited by =Sv3=

So, update time!

There is light at the end of the... Uh, scope?

That's right, hollowed all the way through! Pictures or it didn't happen :

cWmmtBI.jpg

1Ab58FL.jpg

So, it's very, VERY rough... Drilling without a bench vise, while you're sick turns out to be maybe not the best idea ever! Who would've thought, eh?!?

So, with that in mind, I will try to clean it up with my Dremel and some putty. The twist though, is I don't have any green stuff and I can't find any in my area. Any substitutes you guys know about?

I've tried that stuff on a previous build and I wasn't impressed : http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-4-oz-Epoxy-Putty-31270/100344357

I was thinking of using something like this http://m.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/j-b-weld-plastic-weld-repair-epoxy-putty-0383820p.html Thoughts?

That sucks :( Good things come to those who wait though! But I know how you feel, ordering online has its downsides...

Guess what showed up on my doorstep today (even though tracking shows it is still in NY)?! New thread on its way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guess what showed up on my doorstep today (even though tracking shows it is still in NY)?! New thread on its way.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Nice!!! There's no such thing as too many DD build threads!!! Right?

Sooo... Once again, huge thanks to Thrawn's Guard, I found this :

QOJZ7wd.jpg

As it turns out, not only is there a Games Workshop near me, but there is a card game store in my neighborhood that carry Game Workshop's products and they had green stuff!(I also like that it's really called green stuff )

Also, my mother-in-law called, so I knew I had half an hour to kill while she and my gf talked, so I did a few things. First, I Dremeled the folding stock :

18MjyFT.jpg

Then, I drilled the front of the scope to fit the lense casing :

CjzXak5.jpg

mcYc8Cp.jpg

It's very rough, I'm starting to think I should be more patient with the Dremel. BUUUUT, now that I have green stuff, I know I can fix these in no time!!!

Yay!!!! This is so much fun :D

• Like 1

Another update, I didn't build anything, but I bought something :

iW8LDcD.jpg

xWEFnBr.jpg

For those of you, like me, who live in an apartment or don't have a workshop, it's a portable vise that can be attached to any table. It's working great so far! I don't see it lasting decades but for small projects, it's great! Here's a link :

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Hand-Tools-STHT83179-Quick/dp/B00MJYUJNS

Hope it helps you guys :)

Hi David I'm glad to see that you managed to find some green stuff.

Your build also looks to be coming along well.

The vice looks great and is something that I have been thinking about for some time.

Keep up the excellent work.

Thanks! It means a lot coming from you :) Your build is fantastic and inspired me to push the envelope a little :)

Thanks David I'm glad that you like my blaster build so far. I just hope that I can get it completed to the standard that I am aiming for.

There are many other great builds that I have taken inspiration from but what I like most about this forum is the way we all help each other.

Thanks David I'm glad that you like my blaster build so far. I just hope that I can get it completed to the standard that I am aiming for.

There are many other great builds that I have taken inspiration from but what I like most about this forum is the way we all help each other.

I think your work will become a reference if you continue at that pace! I'm keeping a close look :)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Ok, long time no see, eh?

I finally got in the mood to work on my blaster again! I worked on a few other projects in the meantime and read a few build threads, so all is not lost!

One thing I realize though, is that starting with the scope wasn't the best idea. By the time I finished drilling through that thing, I was kinda discouraged thinking I bit more than I could chew. But, with Christmas came Christmas vacation so with all that free time, I got back to work! And boy, did I make some progress!!

Here's a picture of where I am now. xUHztGr.jpg

Starting to look like something, right?

Even though I'm not shooting for something uber accurate with this build, I did choose to make a few mods here and there. One thing I wanted was to make a more accurate front sight. It's not finished yet but here's how it looks so far. eETXiZ0.jpg

I also added texture to the front sight guard and a more accurate d-ring. XmateGL.jpg

I didn't want to buy a new magazine, so I worked with the one I had and tried to make it look more the real thing. What do you think? RXi1byJ.jpg

I dremeled the strip on the bolt and made a new one. It looks a little warped because I think I forced it in place... I'm not sure about that one :/ I might try to add serial numbers to this thing, we'll see how I feel about that one later. fss2vwa.jpg

The trigger is working!!! I installed a ballpoint pen spring behind it and for some reason, it has a really nice clicking feel to it! ahxDKgj.jpg

I wasn't happy with the folding stock cutout, so I put some green stuff here and there and reworked it... Much better! XkpxIB6.jpg

I'm also working on a spring and working inner bolt. I'm gonna be using a wooden dowel for the bolt itself. However, as you are aware, the diameter of the doopy tube is so thick that it just wouldn't look right without some modification. So in order to hide the thickness of the tube, I molded a piece with Sculptey that raises the bolt up to the desired height... P00M8OE.jpgDN9M0SN.jpg

It's still a work in progress but I think it should look good once I'm done with it!

Alas, not everything's perfect in paradise... After screwing and gluing my folding stock, I noticed it's actually crooked LrC9Gfp.jpgpNg2Tmb.jpg

I don't know if it can be fixed as I used CA glue to bond it with the body. Do you guys think it's an issue I should try to fix and if so, do you think I can get the folding stock off? Oh, I forgot to say I already put green stuff over the screws I used to secure the pivot of the stock...

As usual, thanks in advance for any help or comments!!

Not that I have a lot of experience with SW props, but I've built a few things before. Making something like that crooked is a mistake only you will likely ever notice. And though it sucks on a personal level, it really does look fine and no one will likely ever see it.

• Like 1