Sv3 DD's resin kit build

=Sv3=

Not that I have a lot of experience with SW props, but I've built a few things before. Making something like that crooked is a mistake only you will likely ever notice. And though it sucks on a personal level, it really does look fine and no one will likely ever see it.

Thanks a lot! I know what you're talking about. I've been making a few props here and there and we always are our worst critics. I've had people tell me my Jedi outfit looked great but all I could see was the things I screwed up... It's my first time building a blaster so I guess it's bound to have a few flaws.

Yep. I built a Pulse Rifle from ALIENS and had tons of mistakes in it. But overall it looked great and no one noticed lol

Let's be honest, we really are in the hardcore Star Wars nerd bubble. 99,9% of the public, even like, big Star Wars fans have no idea what we are talking about around here!!
  • Like 1

Lots of great progress and execution there David. As Matt said, unless it's going to bother you, I wouldn't worry about the misalignment too much unless you think you can fix it easily. People (and you) will only ever see it if you hold it at that exact angle, which won't be often, if at all.

Lots of great progress and execution there David. As Matt said, unless it's going to bother you, I wouldn't worry about the misalignment too much unless you think you can fix it easily. People (and you) will only ever see it if you hold it at that exact angle, which won't be often, if at all.

Hey that is so cool, I just subscribed to your build as I was looking for reference on the bolt!

Thanks for your comments, you guys are right, I shouldn't worry too much about it then :)

BTW, if I may ask, would you be so kind as to take a measurement of how much of the inner bolt is showing in the slit in the back? If you don't mind, that is.

Edited by =Sv3=

52mm from curve of slot to end of bolt. Mine is only a replica, but should still be within a mm or so.

Ok, so the extension piece I made out of Sculptey is too short by 5 mm

I'll redo it this weekend!

By the way, I think I've found a way to make a nifty paint effect for cheap on the blaster's body. While reading the post, it seems like the crinkle paint finish was actually only used on promo shoot props, while actual movie props has a rough, grainy matte finish for the body. So, I was looking at ways to produce a similar effect with rattle cans and I found out a neat little trick in the application so no need to purchase anything extra... I'm nowhere close to paiting at this point but I might do a test to see if it works.

Don't they sell textured paint in rattle cans?

Yeah they do but I don't want that for 2 reasons.

First, I know this hobby isn't cheap but I don't want to buy a ton of different kind of paint I'll have no use for afterwards...

Second, I don't want a hammered finish or a wrinkle finish but more of a sandpaper-like finish. So here's the thing, if you spray too far from the surface you're painting, tiny droplets of paint have the time to dry before reaching the surface. So you end up with something that feels like sandpaper. It happened to me the first few times I tried painting stuff and I was mad at that time cause I wasted a smooth finish... But here, that's exactly what I want! So that way, I really only need a flat and a matte black and some metallic paint for the inner bolt.

Obviously I'm gonna make a small scale test first but if all goes well, that's the plan!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so my with my Anovos kit on the way, I figured it might be time to work on this again!!

One thing I put aside for too long is finishing the scope I drilled so long ago. (Did I mention this would probably be the longest build ever?)

Previously, I drilled through the scope and made space for the prism. I have to be honest, it's a bit sloppy but as you may find out if you attempt this mod, it's not an easy task! I painted the interior(and a little bit of the exterior but I'll fix that later) and installed the prism :

ovghTgv.jpg

Like I said, it ain't pretty but it should do the trick!

Next up, I needed to install the scope target decal I printed. I printed it on a laminating pouch, the kind you put a sheet of paper into and put in a machine like this : http://www.amazon.com/GBC-HeatSeal-QuickStart-Laminator-1703000/dp/B001B0BE6M

I printed it small enough to fit the inside of the binoculars I took the lenses from. It proved to be quite a challenge as I had nothing to glue the decals onto. As usual, green stuff comes to the rescue!!! I made a kind of return edge to have some material on which to install the reticle on :

cTsdxbF.jpgpUMy70M.jpg

Again, it's pretty fugly but it won't be seen! I should point out that used hot glue for that and to secure the lens housing inside the scope.

With that done, I can finally put the scope back together!!! I sanded the joint a bit, put CA glue, held it down for a minute or two and applied a generous amount of green stuff to seal any gap.

CUPb959.jpg

I'll probably sand most of it down tomorrow but at least I'll get it nice and smooth!

Now, the big question is, will it blend? Probably but what you really want to know(as well as I) is does it work? I'll let you be the judge!

kUgj1Qn.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it!!! You can't really tell the scope was drilled by a monkey and the effect is pretty cool IMO. By mounting it behind the lens housing, you get a really neat 3D effect. I should point out though that the effect works best if you look from about 6 inches. Any closer than that and your eyes lose focus and you can't see the reticle.

Overall, would I recommend doing this mod? Sure, why not! It's a cool little effect and it gives your blaster a little extra that makes it unique! Be aware though that if you're a noob like me, you may end up wanting to pull your hair out! That's normal, I assure you.

Now with that out of the way, next up is the rear bolt but that's a story for another time!