Thrawns Guard's ANH E11 blaster build

Well my Doopydoos resin kit arrived a few days ago and I have been spending the time since reading through many of the great build threads available here.

The first job was checking that my kit includes all of the parts (Which thankfully it did).

Having checked the parts were present I have carefully cleaned the kit in warm soapy water to remove all traces of the release agent and aim to tidy up and sand the parts as required tomorrow after work.

Whilst cleaning the parts I noticed a couple of minor errors in the cast, (presumably air bubbles), which I will make good.

What product is recommended for this type of small repairs i.e. Green stuff, car body filler etc ?

EDIT - After further research I have decided to carry out the minor repairs using green stuff modelling putty.

EDIT - Please find a link to allow you to download the M38 scope cross-hair sets as indicated on post 136 of my build thread and shown installed in posts 210 and 231. They can be printed as they are for installing on the monocular lens housing or rescaled as required for other applications. Please feel free to download and use https://app.box.com/s/o1ln2s40qmklzuslwrxhljji3upkc8pb</a>

Edited by Thrawn's guard
  • Like 1

I also intend to order the monocular and a counter to allow me to upgrade the scope and counter.

My intentions are to carry out a number of modifications/upgrades for example hollowing out the scope and fitting lenses, adding the spring within the barrel, upgrading the counter to have a working button, have a working selector switch and trigger.

I may also look at incorporating one or two other upgrades if any come to mind during the build.

To be honest I can't wait to get my teeth in to this project.

Throughout the build any suggestions, observations or queries will be most welcome.

Also if anyone has any queries regarding how I have done something please feel for to ask (I will try to include sufficient pictures to convey what I am doing).

Well tonight is the night that I started actually working on my blaster.

My first thought was to have a go at what should be about the simplest job...........cleaning up a couple of the smaller pieces.

5%20First%20pieces%20ready%20for%20clean

Edited by Thrawn's guard

However after the initial panic had subsided I realised that in the scheme of things this was about the easiest fix I could have to make.

I decided to use sandpaper and files to remove the spare material before gluing the snapped piece back together.

Once set I will check and clean up if required.

7%20Repaired%20pieces_zpsimee6fup.jpg

Edited by Thrawn's guard

I just had a thought with regard to the front sight pin and was wondering what the opinion of the E11 experts, (basically anyone who had built there own blaster or has access to a real sterling), is.

Do you think that using a screwdriver tip i.e. the sort that are interchangeable and can be purchased from a pound shop or dollar store make a good sight? This would be an alternative to the details I have seen on here where a screw/bolt is ground/filed to the correct shape.

The top could be shaped to the correct angle.

Below is a picture of a selection of the typical sort of things that I have in mind.

820Potential20candidates20for20the20fron

Edited by Thrawn's guard

Well on to the last thing for tonight......a quick clean up of the trigger and guard.

After the issue with the cutters earlier I decided to simply rub the piece on a sheet of sandpaper. In very little time at all the trigger and guard could then be removed from the spare resin and tidied up with gentle use of a fine file.

The rest of the clean up will be done over the weekend.

920Uncleaned20trigger20and20guard_zpszff       1020Cleaned20up20trigger20and20guard_zps

Edited by Thrawn's guard

I just got my kit yesterday. Looks like we'll be building together. I have to admit, I cringed and almost cried when I saw your broken piece.

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also got my kit a couple of days ago, so I'm following everyone's build to see how you guys are starting. So far I've only washed the parts since I still need to finish up my Rubie's blaster.

I just had a thought with regard to the front sight pin and was wondering what the opinion of the E11 experts, (basically anyone who had built there own blaster or has access to a real sterling), is.

Do you think that using a screwdriver tip i.e. the sort that are interchangeable and can be purchased from a pound shop or dollar store make a good sight? This would be an alternative to the details I have seen on here where a screw/bolt is ground/filed to the correct shape.

The top could be shaped to the correct angle.

Below is a picture of a selection of the typical sort of things that I have in mind.

Chris if you got a really thin screwdriver tip it might work.  However the base of those tip are pretty thick.  You would have to do a lot of trimming and most of those are made from tempered steel... pretty hard to cut.  I have seen a few people make it out of thin plastic.

Unfortunately I didn't have the best of starts.

I decided to use some cutters to remove the spare material around the pieces and managed to split the part in half.

this happens....  just get some strong glue like zap a gap and you will be good to go.

Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.

With regard to the snapped piece I posted this was hopefully to help others avoid the same issue but as Michael says above these things sometimes happen.

The important thing is that these things are fixable and this community is a fantastic resource to find solutions to all sorts of issues.

Brian/Richard I hope your builds go well. I'm sure that we will all get there in the end.

Good point about the tempered steel Michael.

I have things to do before I get on to the front sight pin so have time to gather my thoughts.

I may also have a go at 3d printing it.

Are there any dimensions out there or do people generally size them by sight (Pardon the pun).

Thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated.

With regard to the snapped piece I posted this was hopefully to help others avoid the same issue but as Michael says above these things sometimes happen.

The important thing is that these things are fixable and this community is a fantastic resource to find solutions to all sorts of issues.

Brian/Richard I hope your builds go well. I'm sure that we will all get there in the end.

I've already learned from your thread - I was going to trim the trigger piece like you did, but after seeing what happened to you I just used sandpaper until the trigger and trigger guard separated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Richard I am glad to have been able to prevent you making the same mistake.

I think that this is really what the forum is all about. Sharing both what works well and what doesn't so that people that follow can pick up tips and suggestions. In the end we all help each other and as a result the standards of our completed blasters can only get better over time.

Well I now have one of Gazmosis' great looking upgraded magazines on order so I am well on my way to gathering all of the parts that I need.

I also have a number of new tools and items on order to help with the build.

In the meantime I will finish tidying up the parts that I have.

I should also probably invest in a completion kit.

At least I know what will be keeping me busy for the foreseeable future :-)

Good point about the tempered steel Michael.

I have things to do before I get on to the front sight pin so have time to gather my thoughts.

I may also have a go at 3d printing it.

Are there any dimensions out there or do people generally size them by sight (Pardon the pun).

I dont know the true dimensions for the front site... I just eyeballed it... :D

Michael - I'll probably end up doing the same unless I come across some specific dimensions in the meantime.

I have a few things to look at before I'm going to work on the front sight anyway.

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Whilst I wait for T-Jay's completion set I have been cleaning up the remainder of the pieces.

When I was cleaning them up I did however noticed that a few pieces have small holes presumably due to bubbles in the resin cast.

Once the green stuff that I have ordered arrives I will make the minor repairs (I will show the process so that anyone who is unsure how to sort these small issues out can at least see how I have gone about it).

With regards to tonight's work I decided to open up the holes in the underside of the barrel.

I am aware that the majority of this work will be hidden once the stock has been attached however there are a few reasons that I have done this.

1) I will know that it has not been done............and though not a major issue I will later wish that I had sorted it out when I had the chance.

2) I have just received a dremel drill so it gave me the opportunity to practice using it on a less important area of the build.

3) If I was to add a folding stock at some stage I would then have to work on a completed blaster risking damaging it.

Below are photographs of me carrying out this process.

I first drilled a small pilot hole and then opened these up with engraving bit. Once I had removed most of the material within the hole I used a circular grinding bit to form the smooth circular finish.

1120Drilling20holes20in20the20barrel201_     

12%20Drilling%20holes%20in%20the%20barre

13%20Drilling%20holes%20in%20the%20barre

Edited by Thrawn's guard

Well having carried out some research in the front sight of a Sterling SMG I decided that the DD resin sight needed something of a upgrade.

I therefore decided to take the plunge and get the Dremel out.

I took the DD resin cast shown below and removed the central portion of the resin cast so that I can try to reproduce the detail more accurately.

1420doopydoos20front20sight_zpssrackb5j.

Edited by Thrawn's guard