ROTJ thighs question for EIB certification

Hi guys,

acutally building my first TK ROTJ armour. After finishing it I want to go for EIB and Centurion. One question came up during my WIP. I saw some guys which used Velcro to close

the thighs in the back and some others glued them.

In the CRL it is not mentioned how they have to be closed in the back. So If I use the overlapping construction method can I use also velcro to close the thighs in the back or do they have to be glued?

Thighs
For 501st approval:

• Thigh armor is closed in the back.
  • The ammo belt is installed on the bottom of the right thigh.

For level two certification (if applicable):

• The thigh ammo belt shall be standard rivets.
  • The bottom corners of the thigh ammo belt are rounded off.
  • Thighs use the overlap construction method. Using the butt joint and cover strips is not allowed.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by K@nne

You can do either. But you don't want them opening up on you while you troop, so I would still recommend glue. As long as you can stick your feet into the thighs from the top there is no need to ever "open the backs" to put them on.

• Like 1

You can do either. But you don't want them opening up on you while you troop, so I would still recommend glue. As long as you can stick your feet into the thighs from the top there is no need to ever "open the backs" to put them on.

Thx Matthias. I was asking because tights a bit to big and with velcro it would be easier for me to put them on.

I will try what works better without asking some extra material

But with the luck I have, I can not wear them comfortable without adding additional material.

Thx Matthias. I was asking because tights a bit to big and with velcro it would be easier for me to put them on.

I will try what works better without asking some extra material

But with the luck I have, I can not wear them comfortable without adding additional material.

Depending on the size of the cover strips you can get a good 5mm opening up the back and just reglue them down with the little gap. The gap won't be noticed and shouldn't stop you from applying. As long as it's not a huge 1CM gap. Even then, you could add a piece on the top and bottom to just cover the gap, instead of having add a ton of material in and filling.

• Like 1

But I am not sure if coverstripes are allowed because for ROTJ I have to Assembler the tights with the overlapping method😕

But I am not sure if coverstripes are allowed because for ROTJ I have to Assembler the tights with the overlapping method

Even with overlaps, you can still open them. It's actually easier. Just separate the overlap and glue it down wider. There will be a gap at the very bottom visible on the ridge but a lot of screen suits do this and I seriously doubt Centurion would be a slowdown.

• Like 1

One more question which came up today. As mentioned in the CRL we have to glue the parts together by using the overlapping method. But  in which way, inner overlapping the outer part or the other way round (traditional way). It is no clear, some reference shows outer overlapping the inner and on some other pictures it is inner overlapping the outer part.

The CRL does not makes a difference, so I suppose we can use one of the mentioned variations? I want to prefent regluing of my armour :)

thx

One more question which came up today. As mentioned in the CRL we have to glue the parts together by using the overlapping method. But  in which way, inner overlapping the outer part or the other way round (traditional way). It is no clear, some reference shows outer overlapping the inner and on some other pictures it is inner overlapping the outer part.

The CRL does not makes a difference, so I suppose we can use one of the mentioned variations? I want to prefent regluing of my armour :)

thx

Outer goes on top of inner.

• Like 1

Outer goes on top of inner.

Actually forearms are overlapping inner over outer as do the thighs. On some suits if original armour. On other suits it's different like the one that is in the exhibitions. so I don't think we can be too picky what is right and wrong. You cannot look at one suit and call that canon. There are variations.

Also it is quite hard to tell the difference between the ESB MKII armour and a ROTJ armour if it's coupled with a ROTJ helmet. I think we can overthink this into what's right and wrong. It seems anything goes.

• Like 1

You're absolutely right Mark. I just said so to give a simple answer that looks good and isn't too complicated. When we get into original suits there are always exceptions. That's part of the fun. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I have large thighs due to cycling and running (Triathlete) so I ended up using Velcro on the back of mine also. Never had them come apart during troops, even when dancing hahaha!

Show off. Mine are just fat through lack of exercise!!! :laugh1:

• Like 2

Chris, sorry for being blunt, but please have the typo in the title changed.

"Tights" means "Strumphosen"!

I always have to laugh when I read it. "Sturmtruppler in Strumpfhosen" LOL

Haha I know but I thought "tights" are the familiar word for upper legs 😆😆😆

Sehr grosse oberschenkel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Sly11
  • Like 1