Kredal's ANH Hero build [AM2]

Kredal

Didn't get the mic tips on tonight, but everything is painted! 

EoBwUILl.jpg

vIbSHFjl.jpg

XPZ1wWvl.jpg

And the mic tips for good measure:

w24gVsWl.jpg

They don't seem to fit flat on the indentations on the faceplate... I'm guessing just drilling the holes in the right place and tightening them down is enough to keep them aimed the right way?  In order: screw, mic tip, faceplate, washer, lock washer, nut?

I was  actually thinking about gluing the screw to the mic tips. Also did you paint the inside of your mic tips white? 

Yep, I painted the insides white... 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19910-correct-hovi-mic-aerator-tips/?p=309707

I just made them all gloss black rather than going for matte or satin, since that's what I have, and I think it looks good.

Yep, I painted the insides white... 

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/19910-correct-hovi-mic-aerator-tips/?p=309707

I just made them all gloss black rather than going for matte or satin, since that's what I have, and I think it looks good.

I've been searching everywhere for this! And I just painted them with some old matte spraypaint I had. But I did paint them black. Inside and all. Looks like I have some more painting to do!

When I went to put in the mic tips, the plastic inside the recesses where they go is REALLY thin.  I'll need to reinforce that with some superglue cloth (poor man fiberglass) before putting them in... Otherwise, they move around and crackle, and I don't trust it.

Alright!  Helmet is DONE! (ish)

First up, the inside:  I used white Sugru to hold in the lenses and the mesh (screen door repair patches cut to size).  I put a few dabs of sugru on the corners of the eye holes, pressed down the lenses, and used two more chunks in the top corner to hold in the eyes from the inside.  Then I put rolls of Sugru between the teeth, and pressed in the mesh, and dabbed another couple spots of it around the edges.

uCphiIYl.jpg

I took a little bit of the leftover cloth from making my magnet sachets, spread superglue all over one side, then flipped that over onto the indent for the mic tips on the inside, and pressed it firmly in place.  That got sort of hot as the glue reacted with the plastic.  Maybe that's what people were warning about with the metal rivets and snaps?  Not E6000 but actual superglue. I could see that causing problems.

Anyway, I added two layers of that cloth, and let it dry, then drilled through it again with a really fast drill setting, and very little pressure.. cut through just fine, didn't catch any fibers.

e3kF5tal.jpg

The other side looks just like that, but couldn't get a good picture in light.

Anyway... attached the mic tips, tightened down the nuts until the mic tips stopped moving around, and placed the mesh inside.  I haven't attached the mesh with anything other than the force of the mesh trying to expand.  And... Tada!

zci5gObl.jpg

And the full picture:

I9l2B6yl.jpg

Your skill in costuming has increased! (76)

Nice tip on the cloth and super glue reinforcement, Seems I'm following all your tips I'm my build :)

That's why I'm posting this build thread!  If I can help other people out, then I'm giving back to the community!

OK, before I do anything stupid and permanent, is this the correct thigh for this leg?

0ugWWvyl.jpg

Also, with it taped where it is, the top is tight,  but the bottom is super loose... Like, I can get it on over my boot.  Should I cinch up the bottom more, or is that OK?  Sorry for the sucky picture, I've never taken a selfie of my legs before.  

I know I can't taper the outside edge because of the raised section that goes under the cover strip, but can I taper the inside (inseam) area, or should I leave it straight down?  I couldn't find too many pictures of AM2 thighs from decent angles to show how to fit them.

So, um, help?

For starters turn thigh edge towards the front of the armor so that the seem aligns with the shin seem (cover strip).

Here's a pic, you'll get the idea of alignment.

Pose1.jpg

Edited by ukswrath

Tony, that makes a LOT more sense.  (:  I just couldn't visualize how to get it in that position for some reason.  Duh.

Anyway, got the first thigh's inside supports gluing for the day.  Pictures of it all dressed up with blue tape trim, before cutting.  You can see how much has been tapered off the bottom!  I can fit it over my foot now, but not sure if I can with my boot on.  Probably not.  (:  I do see where people get dinged for wearing bell-bottom thighs.  That's what they felt like before I tapered the back.  Now they are much more fitting, and quite stylish.  (:

Front:

azzDyfKl.jpg

Back:

v2DNN6Hl.jpg

Inside from the top:

hwNQlQ6l.jpg

Inside from the bottom:

APaMbbjl.jpg

And all glued up with magnets!  

uTSdfQ1l.jpg

There was PLENTY of scrap from the front and back to add inside and outside strips just from what was leftover.  

I know to end the front strips above the molding at the knee end. Back is the same way?

NP :)

While on the topic of your thighs, what's the measurement between the two return edges here?

azzDyfKl.jpg

Reason I ask is it's supposed to be 20mm give or take. Your's appear much wider, I could be wrong. 

Just throwing thoughts out there. 

Because I'm not a tiny person, I'm adding 5mm to all strip measurements so they don't look super skinny on me in comparison to the rest of the armor.  So the front strips on the legs are 25, and the back are 30.

Because I'm not a tiny person, I'm adding 5mm to all strip measurements so they don't look super skinny on me in comparison to the rest of the armor.  So the front strips on the legs are 25, and the back are 30.

:duim: Got it! 

I would urge you to at most go with a 7/8" front which isn't too far from 20mm and then do what you need in the rear. But keep in mind that what size you do in the rear for the thighs, you need to also use for the rear of the calves. 

I would urge you to at most go with a 7/8" front which isn't too far from 20mm and then do what you need in the rear. But keep in mind that what size you do in the rear for the thighs, you need to also use for the rear of the calves. 

Good point Jason. 

Josh, staying within the requirements on the front side of your armor should be your primary goal. You can do it brother. :duim:   

On another note, congrats on making staff, Tony. What exactly does an Imperial Attache' mean and do? 

Thanks, in a nutshell

"Mission:

Encourage the TKs who are active here to do localized outreach within their individual garrisons, squads, and outposts. Each FISD Attaché will be charged with outreach within their local units in support of the FISD Attaché program’s vision. The staff will provide an initial outreach message, but each attaché will have the flexibility to tailor an outreach program that works best to the local ground conditions. The attaché will also post FISD information relevant to the local unit (newsletter announcements, etc.) and in turn relay relevant information back to staff as part of his/her duties. As a secondary duty, the attaché will serve as a mentor, helping to bring along the costumes of both old and new members, thereby raising the overall Legion TK costume quality level at the grass-roots level."