E6000 and metal reaction question

Hi everyone,

I've ready in many posts about how you have to be careful with E6000 because when in contact with metal (i.e. snaps in our case), it can generate heat and deform armor. However, it looks like the majority of you are using E6000, and practically everybody glue the elastic-backed snaps everywhere on your armor.

So my question:  What's your secret?  Painting the back of the snap? Applying a coat of wax on it? Cover it with plastic?  Using glue on the elastic "around" the snap without touching it?  Or nothing maybe!   Is the danger to the armor really there?

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I've ready in many posts about how you have to be careful with E6000 because when in contact with metal (i.e. snaps in our case), it can generate heat and deform armor. However, it looks like the majority of you are using E6000, and practically everybody glue the elastic-backed snaps everywhere on your armor.

So my question:  What's your secret?  Painting the back of the snap? Applying a coat of wax on it? Cover it with plastic?  Using glue on the elastic "around" the snap without touching it?  Or nothing maybe!   Is the danger to the armor really there?

Thanks

I've never noticed any problems with heat making crazyness when using E6000. I apply it liberally to the plate and snap, and clamp it on tight. I don't think the E6000 has the same chemical reaction by generating heat. The snaps are usually nickel coated so likely doesn't cause the problem. Be at ease.

It's impressive how this myth is die-hard! First of all i think its origins were involving HIPS + e6000 + metal and not ABS. Secondly there has never been any clear evidence of this supposed reaction. Thirdly, the e6000 doesn't create heat when drying, it's just not how it works. Lastly, like the others above, i've done many tests and i've never had any problems at all...

E6000 is an evaporative glue, which is why it takes so long to cure. Normally the faster the cure, the more likely you have a chemical reaction accelerating the bond. Heat is a normal byproduct of such fast reactions.

Test on some scrap (as suggested above) if you are concerned, but E6000 should be fairly safe. I believe Vern had a great suggestion of using a buffer piece of duct tape on the exposed metal prior to gluing.

Edited by Khazid