S&T(airsoft) Sterling L2A1 to E11 "build" thread

charlesnarles

That's what I've been waiting for. Gonna get fun to watch :)

Ā 

Can you check ifĀ its possible to replace the grip with a real Sterling's grip?

Ā 

And is that selector switch operational?

Grip is a rounded rectangle shape (very much like the Disney toy) and the fire select is fully functional (safe, auto, repeat). Looks like the whole grip could be removed but I'm not sure yet. Gonna exchange it at a "superstore" (woah!) so I'll ask them about breaking it down as much as possible. I need some calipers..

If this is, in any way, built like other airsoft guns out there, the Gearbox' motor housing extends into the grip. Hence the weird shape.

Dont expect to be able to replace it with a real sterling grip, unless you do a lot of cutting and maybe welding ;)

• Like 1

Removing the orange safety tip voids your 45 day warranty... I got mine off with pliers and (carefully) a razor blade to pry it off intact for adding later on for airsoft etc.

The front half looks pretty good other than the bayonet lug lacking some details (fixable with a dremel):

SnVpnRz.jpg

7aKToLw.jpg

Ā 

Muzzle is great other than a small spacer between the sight and the bolted-on nose piece. Hopefully it's removable:

7rTzjGJ.jpg

NlEtxkq.jpg

This is the DVH handle on top of the S&T one. Much too big and missing an angle in the trigger housing:

z5ku0n1.jpg

Ā 

It fits on the tube pretty well, which might mean it's 40mm diameter but it's hard to tell without the right tools. Spending all day in an airsoft superstore has clearly affected my subconscious. Pew pew turned to eh-eh-eh for a second there:

oRL16dq.jpg

The S&T handle attaches differently from the DVH's two screws (no idea how a real Sterling is), so I'll have to just unscrew everything and see what happens:

B6MvcUm.jpg

Ā 

Idk why but they decided to switch around the fire select modes. I put it in between to show all the letters:

y5AFVxa.jpg

I guess the end cap isn't actually slanted/tapered, but parallel to the pipe. Darn! But the cap itself looks thick enough to take to a steel-grade belt sander (I think those exist):

iULNPek.jpg

Ā 

I really like the overall look, despite its technical inaccuracies. Sure feels good to hold and it's a great start if you ask me:

gZ8Tvp4.jpg

Here's with my DVH M19 scope sitting on top just for funzies:

RaYdzhM.jpg

MstQy9h.jpg

Look what I found to help me with dismantling:

DO1unpJ.jpg

Ā 

Only 2 screws between me and the faux bolt which has a spring-powered mock charging action (it pulls back and snaps closed... even though Sterlings are open-bolt SMGs so it should at least stay open until the trigger is pulledĆ°ÅøĖœā€ŗ). Gotta add the diagonal stripe by actually recessing the rest. It looks like a thin piece of plastic but I think I can do it enough to get the right look.

Ā 

Idk what I'm gonna do with the magazine since the end plate's "OFF-->" seems to be aesthetic and not meant to slide off even though the metal there is cut to where it looks plausible. Pliers!

For the barrel, it should be enough to remove the airsoft inner-barrel, to get the right look.

I plan on getting one of theese myself, and "merge" it with my MR E-11, to get the closest to a demill Sterling, as possible ;)

Considering this scope as its aluminum and much cheaper than a real one:

http://www.evolutiontoys.com.ar/index.php?id=item&item=408

Ā 

I'd have to do too much work to get a brass layer under the black paint. Plus the lenses are weirdly sized/placed. I'd love an accurate M38 reproduction scope, they'd sell like hot cakes especially if you could see through them. Idk why SDS or MR don't sell E11 partsĆ°ÅøĖœā€¢

Ā 

Update: I was directed towards an aluminum DL-44 scope project on the rpf so I'll investigate the heck out of that. Cool.

Edited by charlesnarles

Sorry to bounce around so much topic-wise. So many ideas about all the different parts!

Ā 

The grip comes off via two screws to expose the motor which is more securely attached. To remove it I'd have to disassemble the whole trigger assembly and I don't want to yet and don't have an Allen set somehow:

nRqiTAV.jpg

Ā 

Once the battery is off, it looks like the DVH handle is barely wide enough to fit on the trigger assembly if I cut off all the flat parts:

weGXi5c.jpg

Ā 

OsOTgfR.jpg

Or...!

I could sand down the rounded corners of the S&T grip until it looks better. The battery itself takes up most of the grip but the inside corners are reinforced a little. Then it stays functional and a replacement piece couldn't be too expensive if I ruin it:

H7kwDhN.jpg

Cool, make one for yours and we can bounce ideas around. Yours rusted or marked up anywhere? My 1st had rust so I exchanged it but the new one has machining marks all over the barrel shroud. Disappointing at first, but I kinda like that it's not so AFB. I can weather the scope and the rest to match

Edited by charlesnarles

I'm trying to save up for this one, but.. Ah.. I dunno if it's this site that has gotten the best of me, but the inaccuracies are kind of annoying me now.Ā 
I used to be like "whatever, it still looks pretty accurate." but now, after seeing it side by side with the accurate parts... It's waaay cheaper than a real one, though, which pretty much trumps everything.

(And I can't be bothered getting a doopy without a functioning folding stock.) :)

Question:
Is the safety tip a plastic cap that slides over the metal muzzle, or is it the muzzle itself, painted orange? Could be useful to know if I'm transporting it or trooping in public areas.

Edited by SofusSnake