Separate Green Lenses: How is it done?

I have searched and searched and I see quite a few guys with separate lenses in their lids. What I can't figure out is how are they attached to inside of the eyes? I am talking about the flat ANH stunt lenses here.

I have seen what appears to be plastic rivets but what are you riveting the lens to or attaching the rivet to?

Or, how is the lens glued to such a thin lip on the inside of the eyes without spilling over to the other side of the eyes?

I have seen foam or padding as a cushion on the inside of these but again, how are they glued keeping the lenses in place?

I realize it's not accurate but it looks very tidy and seems to open up more room.

Ideas?

As always, thanks so much!

I'll hang up and listen.

James, The product I used to attach my lenses is called SUGRU.  It is basically a moldable glue, sort of like play-dough, which sticks great, but can be removed if necessary.  I just rolled it into a 7 or 8 inch "snake" about 1/4 inch thick, pressed it into the inside of the eye opening, and pressed the lenses in.  Bada bing.  Be sure to wipe off any excess that squeezes out with a toothpick, and let it dry for 24 hours.  I found it at Lowe's, near the paint counter, and it comes in little "single use" packets.  Hope this helps!

I've seen lots of different ways, hot glue, double sided tape, silicon, gaffa tape, glue abs blocks and screw to that, pretty much what ever works.

And which ever method you do use, leave some gaps. Don't make it air tight. You want the gaps to help with ventilation and from fogging up your lenses.

• Like 4

And which ever method you do use, leave some gaps. Don't make it air tight. You want the gaps to help with ventilation and from fogging up your lenses.

Thanks for the ideas guys! And thanks for the info about ventilation. I would have never thought of that.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this is probably a stupid question but how do you leave gaps with the ANH stunt lenses flat against the sockets??

Ok this is probably a stupid question but how do you leave gaps with the ANH stunt lenses flat against the sockets??

By not sealing them with hot glue or anything.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

James, The product I used to attach my lenses is called SUGRU.  It is basically a moldable glue, sort of like play-dough, which sticks great, but can be removed if necessary.  I just rolled it into a 7 or 8 inch "snake" about 1/4 inch thick, pressed it into the inside of the eye opening, and pressed the lenses in.  Bada bing.  Be sure to wipe off any excess that squeezes out with a toothpick, and let it dry for 24 hours.  I found it at Lowe's, near the paint counter, and it comes in little "single use" packets.  Hope this helps!

Joseph, I got some of this and WOW! I haven't used it on the lenses yet but totally solved my mesh problem. That stuff is awesome!

Thanks for the idea!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I found it by accident, actually.  Unfortunately, it's not the least expensive method, (like 11 bucks for 4 single use packets), but I found it to be incredibly easy to use.

I've been in a quandary about lenses. As I'm building my bucket, as well as a friend's bucket, I'm going back and forth about what to use for lenses. I don't want to use the bubble lenses that came with the kits, nor the stuff that's like lighting gels as I fear they would puncture easy. 

I got a face shield, but it is too dark (says it is Shade 5). Would Shade 3 be ok? What about a smoke colored lenses? Is there a good source for these?

Edited by ehinote2187

Joseph, SUGRU is amazing! I used it for my frown mesh and it worked great. I actually left the single lens like it was since I ran out. I bought it from Amazon in a 3 pack for like $13.

Thanks again for the tip!

http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Self-Setting-Rubber-Black/dp/B00KX6LTYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435870689&sr=8-3&keywords=sugru

Joseph, SUGRU is amazing! I used it for my frown mesh and it worked great. I actually left the single lens like it was since I ran out. I bought it from Amazon in a 3 pack for like $13.

Thanks again for the tip!

http://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Self-Setting-Rubber-Black/dp/B00KX6LTYM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435870689&sr=8-3&keywords=sugru

I used it for my lenses. Great stuff. Try Target. They have the multi colored, black and white in stock.