Disney's stormtrooper voice changing mask

Hello everyone,

I am a recent white armor follower and I have a very specific question about the voice changer.
I recently went to Disney store and saw that they were selling these stormtrooper voice changing masks : http://www.disneystore.com/stormtrooper-voice-changing-mask-star-wars/mp/1363084/1000265/
So I was wondering if anyone has disassembled one of these masks and took the electronic components out, so they can be built in a stormtrooper helmet.

Thank you in advance and may the force be with you.

I'm tempted to shoot down and buy one lol. I love that it comes with 15 phrases, they sound surprisingly good on Youtube videos. Not sure about the voice changer yet, maybe the mic could be swapped for a better sounding one. Looks like it just unscrews and pops open.

Edited by charlesnarles

Did you happen to try the voice changing mode? I wonder if it clicks/pops like an icomm

I believe they're based on the same principle as the clone trooper voice changing masks, which they also had 15 phrases and a voice changing option. And from the online reviews of these masks they have the click/pop of an icomm.

I'm tempted to shoot down and buy one lol. I love that it comes with 15 phrases, they sound surprisingly good on Youtube videos. Not sure about the voice changer yet, maybe the mic could be swapped for a better sounding one. Looks like it just unscrews and pops open.

Do you think you can adapt it for a stormtrooper helmet?

Do you think you can adapt it for a stormtrooper helmet?

Hopefully, depending on what the parts are. I'm guessing: battery pack, wires, circuit board, wires, speakers and 2-option switch which may be on/off or the quotes/changer control. I'm assuming there's room for the "guts" even in a smaller ATA. Lots of cavities and such

Hopefully, depending on what the parts are. I'm guessing: battery pack, wires, circuit board, wires, speakers and 2-option switch which may be on/off or the quotes/changer control. I'm assuming there's room for the "guts" even in a smaller ATA. Lots of cavities and such

If that works good, it'd be the cheapest voice changer. Let us know if you do!

Okay I couldn't find them at downtown Disney, but could in the Disney store at my local mall! The activation button is the right ear bumps, so I'm assuming the voice changer is PTT with that button activating the clicks when you first push and let go. I'll open it up (all the way!) later today. Can't wait to play around with this and my respirator mask. Gonna be zoppity.

The voice changer only clicks after you release the button, and doesn't sound amazing but it's loud enough to work in the field and I love the ANH quotes. Too bad there's no rhyme or reason to which clip plays; they're all really appropriate for certain instances like mr no stripes saying to inform lord Vader after you stun-mode some kids

Edited by charlesnarles

Excellent news.  I picked up a voice changer and a fresh copy of the Visual Dictionary at the local mall's Disney store this afternoon.

Funny story - I was thinking about this on the way to the store, so I asked the clerk...

Do you think more 501st people buy Star Wars toys or just normal parents buying toys for their kids?

Without a moment of hesitation, she said, "Definitely more 501st guys buying toys for themselves".

And with that, I swiped my card.

• Like 10

That looks nice! I'd like that someone upload a video review (for the new E11 too). Curious about the actual sounds

Here ya go!

http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag209/charlesnarles/Mobile%20Uploads/th_trim.2CFC8064-68A8-4A91-8A9F-659A27113847_zpsxvcx1v3d.mp4

I tried to show how covering parts and changing the angle affects the tone, all Doppler-style. The scope will be closed, and the d ring covers the speaker almost entirely, so most of the noise will actually come out the muzzle. It's a pretty decent volume too. Not super loud but enough for a con probably.

And then just google video search "Disney stormtrooper voice change mask" and there's a YouTube clip of that one in action (save for the voice changer, which only clicks afterwards but is much louder than I expected)

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 1

I just bought one to see how it worked, and I'm not thrilled. It's 'loud', in terms of the actual sample sounds, but when using it in voice change mode, you have to speak pretty loudly to make it work. 

And it sound was too robotic for me. I think I'll go back to my walkie talkie solution. 

Here's a video of me in the car testing it out right after purchase. 

Edited by netslave

Funny story - I was thinking about this on the way to the store, so I asked the clerk...

Do you think more 501st people buy Star Wars toys or just normal parents buying toys for their kids?

She knew what the 501st was?  The clerk (sorry, cast member), I got looked at the StormTrooper helment and goes "Oh, you must really like Jedi!".  And on my way out told me she was looking forward to the new "jedi movie".

And then just google video search "Disney stormtrooper voice change mask" and there's a YouTube clip of that one in action (save for the voice changer, which only clicks afterwards but is much louder than I expected)

In addition to the loud static when you release the button, it also plays some variable white noise when the button is held down but you aren't talking.  It is really subtle and could be easily overlooked if in a semi-noisy environment.

• 1 month later...

I picked up one of the masks cheaply on a May the Forth sale. I was thinking of clipping off the speaker to add a 3.5mm jack and plugging it in to this monoprice amp/speaker. Would that work? Or would the on-board mask amp cause problems plugged into an external amp?

Okay here's another question:

I cut open the female 3.5mm jack's cable and found the normal red and white wires... plus a bunch of loose copper single wires all around them. Is this just for insulation since its audio hardware? I'm gonna ignore it!😉

image_zpstfexlz02.jpg

Edited by charlesnarles

Here's the whole vocal system together. One 2 sq inch board, 3 AAAs, mini mic; no external amp or MP3 player required:

image_zps8yyfiwml.jpg

It really is not very big!

image_zpsclhkf5og.jpg

Plenty of wire, too much lol, but BTHIANNITTNIANHI, as they say (no actual idea if anyone says that). iComm PTT comes today but that will just run down my arm... Or I might leave the button they give you and hide it in the s-trim to hit with my thumb (no wires coming out that way)

Edited by charlesnarles

Well it didn't work. 😕 The mic speakers work when plugged into my phone, but a heck of a lot quieter than I had anticipated (seemed way louder in the videos)

I thought I had soldered it half-decently, but now I see the deplorable job I did. Hopefully, the wires just aren't actually touching the leads:

image_zpsfp2cdxrz.jpg

Edited by charlesnarles
  • Like 1

Hope ya get this fixed and it works for you ..I have the same mic speakers as you and they are really really quiet..... Using mine with hytech Toys and its quieter than the speaker I got with it.....I'm trying a different mic, if that helps !!!

Edited by Ollie mills tk