Look Sir, Droids! MTK Build - W.I.P.

Technically your thighs should sit just above the shins and diamond plate. If it's not, in my experience there's not much you can do to keep the two from hitting each other. Get the thighs up and close as possible to the cod and posterior and the shins as far down on the boot to create that gap.

Hope this helps

I'm going to JoAnn's after work  today to see what they have. If they don't have anything I'll hit up one of those and grab pipe insulation. I only need foam for the bottom of my thighs and maybe on my shin to keep the diamond plate from rubbing. Trying so hard to get it done to wear on Halloween with my kids. 

I cut off 1 3/4" off the top of my AM2.0 thighs and did the ANH notches. Then used 1/4" to do a return edge. Sorry, I didn't get photos while doing it. Once I did this I had my wife help me size them. I took a lot in around the knee and not too much towards the top of my thigh. It was very tapered so I split it down the middle and cut off the remaining plastic. Butt joined with an inner strip and finished off with a finishing strip. I'll take some photos when I do the foam

8FFC34C6-ECD4-432F-8B2B-284B987CF5BF.jpg

• Like 1

EDIT: When I made the initial trim, I measured down 1 3/4" all along the edge of the thigh. I only did the front and did the rears while I was sizing them. Once I did the ANH notches I did it towards the top and a little bit of the swooping. I'll have to take a look at them tonight next to the cod. It is possible I may need to cut more of the inside thigh. 

8FFC34C6-ECD4-432F-8B2B-284B987CF5BF.jpg

Edited by Airborne Trooper

Picked up some 2" thick foam from JoAnn's tonight. I picked this kind because I know that I'm going to get sweaty when trooping. 

B42C40A8-CD15-44C0-8C84-54E37EF90735.jpg

3D4C43FB-87A8-4D73-AEF3-576627022E31.jpg

I'm hoping that my logic was correct and that someone else can chime in saying this will work or not. 

For Tony, here's a pic of my left thigh showing the contours next to the cod piece. Sorry about the mess. Doing last minute ABS pot hole repair and the only place to hang up my armor without my kids messing with it is in the closet. 

01827F74-A98B-49F0-9FCD-95C9E23DF957.jpg

4821E1CF-BE9B-4AF6-A22F-FEBA5DE736FC.jpg

I have tomorrow off (great working 10 hours 4 days a week) and plan on getting last bits done to begin weathering. I'm also spray painting the nerf E-11 for my daughter's Captain Phasma costume. 

I'm surprised no one has mentionned that before but you ight want to take a look at this about the notch on top of your R/H thigh:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/28560-red-2s-ne-anh-tk-build/?p=436141

Following Panda's awesome weathering tutorial I started my first piece and expect a lot of sleepless night ahead of me before Halloween. 

1D6D7D3B-EA7C-4364-BF94-A3EDD7E168E6.jpg

Been following some Davin Felth style SWAT submissions to see how they weathered and there's a lot of differences. I think that less is more for this particular character. I might end up removing some more and adding a little warm grey mixed with a bit of black in a few places. I'm not sure yet since some people have elected to only use burnt umber. 

A9836381-CEC3-4BDB-BD25-A8904D83741B.jpg

Do it! I got both shins, 1 thigh, and the entire left arm done yesterday. Back at it again tonight after work. Lessons I've learned, if you have scratches in your armor, the paint is going to go in those and aren't coming out without mineral spirits. You don't have to cover the entire piece like in Panda's tutorial because 98% gets rubbed off anyways. Will try to finish this base layer before Halloween but will still go back and add some darker oily features in places and have to replicate the "Look sir, droids!" distinct weathering patterns on  his chest and helmet. 

Tony, you're SWAT. Do you think I'm on the right track or should I bring some other colors into the mix? 

I think your weathering look good, basic won't be a problem but then again I haven't seen all your armor weathered.

Thinking ahead, are you planning to go SWAT? 

I'm aiming for SWAT. Not sure if I'll ever achieve that but would like to at least come close. Been looking at a lot of "Look sir, droids" SWAT approvals and I see a lot of differences with the overall weathering. The only thing that is identical for the most part is the chest, pauldron, and helmet. 

I'm aiming for SWAT. Not sure if I'll ever achieve that but would like to at least come close. Been looking at a lot of "Look sir, droids" SWAT approvals and I see a lot of differences with the overall weathering. The only thing that is identical for the most part is the chest, pauldron, and helmet. 

Your best bet is to take a SWAT level look sir droids applicant that was given "spot on" comments from other members and the DO and emulate that armor.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question I haven't seen asked before.... Since I'm doing a sandtrooper and we don't use the shoulder bridges to cover the elastic, is the shoulder straps suppose to look like this when worn? I know I need to shorten the length so the top of the shoulder bell comes flush but it's pulling. 

3710E0E3-FE61-4742-BB15-3165D1CAFDDC.jpg

That's the down side of not having covers however, you should have that much slack anyways. The shoulder bell should sit within 1/4" of the strap. I personally would shorten all the straps, chest to back and shoulder to bell.

I didn't have my torso section on all the way in that picture. I might be able to shorten front to back a little but not by much. I'll shorten the shoulder to strap tonight and will probably have to re-position the shoulder bell to bicep strap too.