ATA - AP Size Difference - My Observations Only

After having the opportunity to build a few sets of ATA and AP armor I just wanted to point out a few differences between the two, I always thought they were about the same size, this may help some with deciding on which to purchase.

Major differences are the helmet size, AP is slightly smaller, secondly the chest back plate circumference, if you use the minimum cut lines AP is 2 inches smaller on each side compared to ATA, makes a huge difference if you have a light belly, made it really hard with one set that was pre trimmed, shims needed to be added on AP but not on ATA.

I also noticed the detailing around the ridges on the thighs are not as prominent on the AP armor.

Just my observations, take with a grain of salt ;)

Good post!

I can add this following list of differences

• Biceps (Ap is much more streamlined while ATA has more dimensional ridges)
  • Belt
  • forearms
  • detail parts are different slightly (Tdet, knee plate, thigh power pack.)
  • ears
  • undercut on helmet and faceplate

AP has many duplicate parts: both forearms, both biceps, the outside right shin is the same as the inside left. AP still has the goofy cover strip ridge on the back of one half of the thigh backs. Not both. Get rid of the other one and it would be golden. Did anyone mention the sink aerators??

sounds about right steve!

there are other dimensional differences.  the forearms are much different by comparison, and the biceps also vary quite a bit!

there is no direct comparison between AP and ATA,  every part is different.  the forearms have small swoops and curves at the elbows

and the biceps are really a lot different, in many ways.

my black ATA kit is much different than my white AP kit... on a very subtle level! 

(nobody likes sink parts on the helmet!)

Didn't even bother mentioning the sink tips, why they even bother ;).

Nice extra bits guys, I didn't want to bag it too much ;)

Generally, AP is considered the smallest (circumference wise) of the common armor kits. I believe it will fit up to a 32 inch waist without shims, but no more than that.

I am a little over 32" waist and it is a snug fit, no shims needed, but if I start packing it on, I am going to need to loosen some elastic for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Im 5'8" 190lb 37" waist with a measuring tape but 32" waist in jeans, more girth than average in the thigh and hind area, 7 1/2-3/4 baseball cap. I like that the AP is available sooner than ATA. ATA has more attractive price however.

Will the AP helmet and armor be too snug for me?