From horseman boots to Stormtrooper boots

Hi everybody, following you'll find as I painted a pair of black Chelsea riding boots to make my trooper boots.<br><br>
Wandering the web, I stumbled upon a product that seems to be very good and effective. It's just an experiment for now because I haven't trooped once yet, but the premises are very good.

I've used a well known spray paint that I've found perfect for this pourpose (see at the end).

The starting point

image2.jpg

Bought these boots online, in a horsemanship apparel/accessory shop. It wasn't easy to find something with the right shape.<br>
Price was around 50 EUR shipped. Not an excellent pair of boots, but more than I could ask for trooping (and to make an experiment). Quite good leather and rubber sole.

After a light sanding of the leather surface, I've masked the rubber sole all around.foto-1.jpg

Then sprayed lightly a first hand of paint.

foto-3.jpg

This is what I got after 3 hands of paint.

foto-2.jpg

Finished

foto-5.jpg

image7.jpg

image8.jpg

"The product". Think everyone knows it.

foto.jpg

For those that have never seen it before, it's a sort of "spray film" which once dried form an effortlessly removable film (like those used in car wrapping).
At the same time, however, does not come off easily with normal use, at least according to the manufacturers.
The most important thing of this film is that it is elastic, therefore suitable for surfaces subjected to deformation, as shoes are. So will not crack when used as happens with usual paint.
I tried a little search around to see if anyone had used to make the boots that we all need, but I found nothing. Maybe I missed. Please advise if someone else have done it.

The procedure I used is very simple:

1) Rub the scalp to make the surface more gripping
I used 800 grit sandpaper, but I think one could also use a 400 (or perhaps it was better).

2) Mask the sole with masking ("blue", that here is yellow) tape or other

3) Spraying
I gave 3 coats + 1 light finishing. Recommended distance 30 cm. Interval between one hand and the other 30 minutes.
For the fabric parts (elastics) you have to insist a bit more, as they absorb the color. You could give a first light hand without losing too much time on it, and insist locally with the next passages.

4) Wait for drying

at least 4 hours. For full drying eight hours are recommended.

5) Remove the masking
delicate step, as the film is on both the shoe and the tape. If you are not careful pulling unwisely you risk the film will lift. I suggest to slightly incise the color with a cutter before or during the removal of the tape. In this way you mostly avoid problems.

The paint has a "rubbery" finish in the first times, but after some days it will lose it and becomes like real leather (maybe dust or else helps).

For now it's all.
I have not idea how durable is this finish on the shoe. I've made short walks and only tried the armor on. The rear calf has made little scratches on the back of the boot, but in front there are no signs of wear.
BTW some scratches are welcome, right? ;)

On youtube you'll find movies where you see cars painted with the same product that are cleaned with a pressure washer without problems.
We'll see if it holds here too. At worst, if it comes off, there's still under a black shoe on which to try again (perhaps with larger sanding paper) or use the classic technique with leather paint.

Obviously all this is not comparable with a nice pair of white shoes already made, but you already know it.

:)

In summary:
strengths
- Reduced cost. Shoes and paint, I have spent around 60 EUR. The less you pay the shoes... A can is enough for a pair of shoes, and had leftovers.
- Speed of execution. If you have half a day off, you are done.
- Movie accuracy (if scratched). I'll not try this for now.

defects
- Strenght of the paint (?). I'll let you know after a couple of troopings.

If you have any question I'm here.

I hope this will help other fellow troopers!

Ciao!

EDIT 09/2015:

used.jpg

used1.jpg

used2.jpg

This is how they look after some troopings, included a 2 kms walk through the streets of Milan during the SW Day 2015.

I think they are holding pretty well considering the type of paint, and serving as expected.

Please feel free to share your thoughs.

Ciao!

Edited by elleerre

Ah, ok thanks!

I'll try to level it up with some glue or something and repaint, but it's barely noticeable when the shoe is on the floor.

Edited by elleerre

Looks good. Will be interesting to see how it holds up. I 'dipped' my motor bike a year of so back - accidently scuffed the tank with my boots hopping off and 'chipped' the dip. As you can't respray to blend it I had to totally remove it. (apart from my front mudguard - it's still dipped)

How flexible is it on the side elastics?

• 7 months later...

Hi here I am again for an update.

I can say that the paint holds astonishingly well, except where the armor is scratching on the shoe neck (not a surprise).

Besides this the rest of the boots are still white after several hours of trooping.

I'll post some pictures soon.

Edited by elleerre
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Considering this option if yours works well. Much cheaper and quicker than other techniques ive seen

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I could say it works. Just keep an eye where armor scratches on, because it will likely tear the paint away. Depends on what are your needings. To me some scratches are acceptable, don't know if for you is the same.