Webbing, Snaps & Strap questions.

Since I have a bit of a wait till I receive a brown box of my own, I thought I should get around to buying all the bits & pieces I am going to need, but I have a few questions.

I have seen on a few lists that, 1 inch white elasticated strapping is required, am I right in thinking it's just for the shoulders ?

Then there's 1 inch black elasticated strapping, not sure about this as I thought all the black strapping was just nylon webbing.

Incidentally, what's the recommended width of black webbing ?.

I realise these questions might seam obvious, but I plan on doing this right from the beginning of my build when it happens and I figured with the knowledge base this site has, best to ask.

And lastly.....for the moment :), is 15mm the standard size of snaps to use ?

I see a lot of Amazon in my future.

Cheers

Art

This thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26477-what-we-know-about-strapping-snaps-rivets-etc/#entry334341 has fantastic information in it. Also, looking at the EIB and Centurion applications to see where others have placed there strapping will help. Of course bearing in mind that any non-visible strapping doesn;t HAVE to be a certain type. Only the visible stuff. Nice to be accurate though.....

The 1 inch white would be for the drop boxes, shin hooks if you go that way

The 1 inch black would be for the shoulder bells to shoulder straps, straps around the biceps, joining the torso. That gets used quite a bit.

I just measured mine and used 1 1/4 inch for my shoulder straps and 3/4 inch for everything else. I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a must have standard for the width of strapping widths you use on the inside. It's what can be seen like button and rivets that matter.

Thanks for the link, I will go and have a read soon as I finish typing this.

Ah, totally forgot about the strapping on the arms, obviously stretchable strapping is best.

I have been having a few thoughts about webbing that acts more like suspenders for the thighs and calves as I have seen a few comments about the weight pulling belts downwards, not sure how feasible it will be.

Thanks for measuring Snaps, it's much appreciated.

Where I can, I will be buying from FISD members who sell items based on there own experiences and recommendations, if the knowledge is out there, why ignore it :)

I am hoping to go for a Centurion RT-Mod build from out of the box.

Looks like you're on the right track with research, especially in the EIB and Centurion sections, and asking questions. Like you said, do it right from the beginning :) Check out trooperbay.com for supplies as well. I bought quite a few things from there.

Hope you share your build when the brown box comes!

That's interesting to know, I was all set to buy webbing, but I am now wondering about the logistics of using elastic, more importantly in how to keep the strength at the ends once a snap has been punched through, doubling up at the ends would be my first thought.

Since I have a lot of time to wait and prepare, I am trying to adopt an approach of looking at all options for my eventual build......within my skill level.

Art

I just found the elastic, snaps and glue I was looking for on Ebay

15mm black snaps

1 inch black flat woven elastic, 10 metres

Fabric Glue

I am going to do a few weight tests and strength tests once it all arrives, in the meanwhile my E-11 mod kit from T-Jay just arrived :)