Joblesspunk's Ap Stormtrooper Build

JoblessPunk

Thanks for this link! I just contacted him seeing if I could just buy the screws from him, since I don't need the whole kit  ^_^

Be careful of those long screws with the smaller AP helmets, they can scratch your head when you screw on your kid! I had to drimmel a couple of mine down.

Thank you for the heads up! 

I plan on cutting down the screws once I get everything in place, and I might even put a rubber plug on the end just in case. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

Sorry I haven’t posed much on my build, been busy, busy, busy. That said said, this is a HUGE progress update.

PAINTING HELMET:

I have to say, this was quite difficult. I applaud everyone that has painted their helmet, and even more so the “Founding Fathers†who did this without all the whitearmor.net information and painting templates created by TrooperBay!  

Enough talk, here’s some photos:

0fgk0ZV.jpg

BRst7FG.jpg

zD1WKlB.jpg

EL6Y3kv.jpg

w85YXzq.jpg

NkSMl4H.jpg

ctbLCu5.jpg

P3VdVZB.jpg

TZucrud.jpg

Gjon5uu.jpg

waBMwg9.jpg

Ms0xUVH.jpg

2H1z6v4.jpg

ajlJna1.jpg

kJFVQGl.jpg

YVyxvdD.png

FINAL* PAINTED HELMENT:

2rsjEh7.jpg

tTitGBK.jpg

b7nmkRb.jpg

yC4YUGk.jpg

4IBnzGE.jpg

*I still need to paint the black ranking stripe on the ears.

ARMOR BUILDING:

Each day I’ve been glueing one piece, day by day. Last night I glued the last part together! Yeah, I will probably go back and re glue some of these to make them fit better, and probably trim down the cover strips on some areas… but for now my main focus is to get it built then tweak later ;)

Here’s some photos of my progress:

D9HrzqO.jpg

*Still need to cut the notches out of the kidney plate.

DElkbBW.jpg

31G1cqw.jpg

This is for the inside of my helmet, it will cover the edges of the grill mesh. 

OhBAM9X.jpg

Painted to match.

UCczqQK.jpg

Using the rivet snap option to strap my armor together. This was just a test to figure out how it all works. 

3c8NMOm.jpg

rZDZPpi.jpg

Snap plates.

FFkVPvV.jpg

More snap plates. 

dtHgDHf.jpg

And this is where I’m at now! 

Lastly, here’s a little candid shot my girlfriend took of me test fitting the parts I’ve glued. Note: In this photo I didn’t glue the sniper plate yet. 

8sowHX7.jpg

And thats where I stand! 

I’m hoping to complete the hemet build really soon, and at the same time glue all the snap plates on and finish the strapping. Slowly but surely, its getting there, and I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel… or is it all the E6000 glue I’ve been sniffing? ;)

• Like 1

Excellent work on the helmet paint up!

Nice paintjob!  :duim:

Thanks guys, 

Painting the helmet was much, much harder than I thought it would be. I'm quite proud of how it turned out, but trust me it was a lot of re-painting until I was satisfied with the results.

Hey All,

A short update, but a fun one :)

I made a little progress on the actual armor, mostly making snap plates and gluing them, but here are some photos:

L9105Kq.jpg

RZkwG7F.jpg

0BpDJsx.jpg

GoT03xB.jpg

What I’ve mainly been working on is building the helmet:

*I still have to paint the ranking bar on my ears, but I first have to buy the correct bush. 

*Also, I’ll probably mess with the gap on my ears, but for now I’m liking it. 

AGZ16CI.jpg

771T3X0.jpg

HKvkQKu.jpg

Nz6HPR1.jpg

R8lAFe0.jpg

305jjSb.jpg

Taking inspiration from what others did on these forums, I combined some ideas to make the inside of my helmet: 

2qsNdhY.jpg

YFVfA63.jpg

BlmH72U.jpg

Thats about it! 

Next update I should have my armor strapped together, can’t wait! 

Edited by joblesspunk
  • Like 1

Very nice looking helmet. Honestly, i'm liking your ears like that, feels very accurate.

However, i don't know if that kind of chin strap will be something viable once the arm armor parts and the gloves on. I find that snapping my chin strap is hard enough like that, i can't even imagine feeding the strap through two d-rings...

And very good job with those side rivets, their positioning is spot on.

Very nice looking helmet. Honestly, i'm liking your ears like that, feels very accurate.

However, i don't know if that kind of chin strap will be something viable once the arm armor parts and the gloves on. I find that snapping my chin strap is hard enough like that, i can't even imagine feeding the strap through two d-rings...

And very good job with those side rivets, their positioning is spot on.

Thank you for the complements, and yeah I have the same feeling about the ears ^_^  

Also, I could totally see the chin strap being a pain once you've got the gloves on. I'm still playing with the idea, so the chin strap might be changing in the future. 

Wow looking great Tim. :duim:

Have you tried tightening the ear screws a bit more to see if it will take up some of the gap? 

Thank you! 

Yeah, I'll play with it it a bit. It's kind of weird because I can tighten the screws down and it will bend the plastic but not close up the gaps. I think I would have to trim the ears a bit to make them sit a more flush... but thats for another day, as for now for now I'm feelin' it  ^_^

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey All,

Sorry for such a long time between updates, I went to London and France for 10 days and just got back last week :]

I’ve been working mostly on strapping my armor together. Yesterday I went to my friends house and he helped me with thigh belt rigging. We created a quite ingenious rig, I’ll take some photos of it sometime and post it here. 

Anyways, enough talk, here’s some photos:

*NOTE: I haven’t snapped my white belt yet, its just velcroed on right now for the photo. 

GGn8lNZ.jpg

VcHGjyE.jpg

Esq2l8H.jpg

ps06qub.jpg

Thats about it, still have a handful of tasks to do, but pretty stoked to finally put the whole suit on :)

METAL GEAR!? It can't be..!

(Also, great job! This will be a helpful reference when I eventually get my own AP kit, for sure!)

Thank you and yep!

These photos were taken at my friends house, he has a super sick collection of figures and other awesome stuff.

That Metal Gear REX is the super legit version made by ThreeA not that long ago. 

A quick update, I started working on my belt and painting the ab buttons. 

Here’s some photos:

NOTE: I haven’t put the snaps on that my belt to my abdomen armor yet, I will be doing that tomorrow  ^_^

YQAw7eY.png

oJRZiby.jpg

h1swj9U.jpg

bF4u9hD.jpg

vkVd2dP.jpg

mF4WFdt.jpg

hZYRnXv.jpg

hOf6hCM.jpg