Removing Velcro Backing -HELP!

TK-4202

I've seen and read a dozen different threads on multiple forums, and yet nothing is seeming to be working... So let me explain my situation:

I am restoring and upgrading a set of AP armor that I purchased second hand.  It used velcro and I wanted to upgrade to the snap system so many people use. 

So I used "Goo Off" which I had already, and seems like an option similar to Goo Gone.  However I've run into an interesting situation - I was able to literally peel away the cloth portion of the soft back veclro, and leave almost what seems like the entire sticky back portion.  I've soaked it, I've wiped it, I've used a hair dryer...I've used olive oil (saw that on another forum).  I even tried using sandpaper (just on the residue).  This is on the inside of the armor so I'm not overly worried about scratches... but I want this backing/residue GONE! 

Any tips? I've also used a plastic putty scraper to no luck, it just seems to push the gummy goo slightly, but nothing is coming up. HELP!

Thanks!  I'll try and pick up some WD-40 and perhaps lighter fluid this weekend. I really want this stuff gone so I can get going on this TK in time for Celebration :D  I'll post an update after I try those methods. 

Get as much of it off before using the gas. Scrape it, pick it and so on. It will make the gas work much better. 

I had to get duct tape residue off of some leather motorcycle pants, it was a bummer, but it came off after lots of scraping, gas, rubbing and so on.

I would try heating or cooling it. Stick it in the freezer for half an hour or so then take it out and immediately try to scrape it off, the cold might make it just brittle enough that it comes off a bit easier. If that doesn't work you might try a blow dryer as heating the material for a bit might make it a bit more pliable and easier to remove. Good luck and be sure to let us know what worked for you!

I've tried a hair dryer thus far, and it just seems to make it warm and sticky.. lol  I bought some goo-gone type stuff that said it would remove tree sap, glue, etc.  It seems to be working at a slow pace. I'm going to try the freezing technique and see if that helps.  I'm worried a heat gun will melt the plastic if I'm not careful and would rather avoid melting it.   

I'm tempted to just leave the soft velcro that hasn't been pulled off and just deal with snapping around it.  Thus far it's the kidney and butt plate that had about 8 velcro sections total between the two parts. 

Mineral turpentine on a clean cloth, out of all the thinners it is the most gentle.

I have used it for the exact purpose you have described.

It took a little time but the ABS surface was clean as a whistle.

That glue they used on the back of industrial Velcro is a nightmare to get off, so just work a small area at a time with the Turps and keep moving to a clean section of the cloth as the glue will melt. When finished wipe the ABS with a wet cloth then dry. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SUCCESS!  However I did realize that there was more than just residue.  As I have come to learn the industrial velcro was epoxy'd down PLUS the normal sticky glue.... so I had to remove glue from glue, hence all the extra trouble. 

My solution ended up being a rather easy one, hot water rather than a heat gun/hairdryer allowed me to get the glue warm enough that I could push it around with a plastic scrapper, then after THAT glue was down, I used a goo-gone knock off we have local here, and that took care of the sticky residue.  I'm still surprised that the industrial velcro needed EXTRA glue to stay down.. But it's all clean and removed now.  Now I need to get working on the proper snaps and rivets. :D