Keeping Shifting Shoulder straps in check - for ESB or any builds

toybiz

Hi everyone,

Like many of us, even though we are "finished" with building our armor, there are always something that comes up after a troop or two. ^_^

For me two things have come up. 1) a little bit of armor bite at the back of the knees when walking, especically up any incline. 2) since I built my armor to ESB CRL, it typically doesn't use that small elastic band on the rear of the plastic shoulder strap over the back armor like in ANH builds.

So even after I moved my shoulder strap to better center it over the back armor, it will sometimes slip under the back armor, sometimes from the rear neck opening. :huh: How embarassing...

Shoulder%2BTK.jpg

I didn't want to use velcro, that could be visible if I don't get it centered when suiting up. Challenging if suiting up solo. Rivets are out of the question as those are visible and permanent. So I thought what about magnets? :0Lighten: These would be hidden and completely discrete. Plus the added benefit, they center automatically! :duim:

I used small round 1/2" x 1/8" rare earth magnets but I'm sure you could use any shape really. You can find them for less than $5 shipped from various online vendors.

DSC01655.JPG

DSC01656.JPG

What I did was suit up with just the chest and back armor (wearing your under suit or nothing bulky) Have someone pencil mark where the end of the straps normally lie over the back armor. This will give you an idea of where to center the magnets.

Using some E6000 I glued the one magnet disk to the end of the shoulder strap.

DSC01630.JPG

DSC01631.JPG

Then once that set, hold the chest and back armor in the same relation as marked earlier and with the strap magnet in place put a corresponding magnet from the inside of the back armor and glue in place. Keep in mind the polarity of the magnets, otherwise you will have a shoulder strap wanting to jump off your back! :laugh1:

DSC01632.JPG

DSC01633.JPG

DSC01634.JPG

Now when you suit up, the shoulder straps will snap onto the same spot every time! :)

Note: I wouldn't recommend magnets too much thicker than 1/8" as the thicker the rare earth magnet, the more powerful the pull strength is. There wasn't any pull strength noted from the vendor but after assembled, I would say about .5-1 lbs of force through the back armor plastic and velcro in my case. If your build needs more strength just pop on a second magnet (no glue needed) to the one inside the back armor and the magnet strength instantly get's stronger!

Edited by toybiz

Thank you all for the props! I KNOW TK armor is wonky, but I feel there should be a difference between wonky and sloppy. ;)

Maybe because I'm structured by nature and enjoy order (that's an Empire trait) but simple things make all the difference in appearance to our fans.

I plan to integrate this to my TD to Kidney plate for added security from prying little hands. :)

Maybe this would work for shin rear closures and mounting hand plates to gloves too! I wouldn't risk it for anything more.

• 4 years later...