Cutting for ANH centurion

Tais

Hello guys,

I know this has been asked and posted around but I cannot seem to find the measurements needed so I thought I'd just ask. I'm working on my first MTK ANH Stunt TK and have most everything trimmed (Still too nervous to touch the helm yet!). What I'm trying to do is trim my biceps, forearms, thigh, and lower leg armor so i can butt joint them. 

What are the lengths to measure and is there any good resources on assembly for them? Has anyone done them without magnets? Is it worth it to try? I have small clamps and have yet to buy magnets yet (still researching but would consider a 'cheaper' method.

Thanks in advance!

Eric / Tais

Hello guys,

I'm working on my first MTK ANH Stunt TK and have most everything trimmed (Still too nervous to touch the helm yet!). What I'm trying to do is trim my biceps, forearms, thigh, and lower leg armor so i can butt joint them.

LOL, you have most everything trimmed? But not your helmet, biceps, forearms, thighs, and shins?  :D

First off Eric welcome to the MTK family.  I have just built my own set recently.  

I'm not too sure what you mean by what are the lengths to measure?  Do you mean, How long are the coverstrips?  How wide are the cover strips?  How much you leave on the part itself?

There are many good resources of assembly right here on the forums under the build section.  Many builds tell you what people have used for measurements.  Also, you can just go look on Trooperbay.com and watch the videos.

As far as magnets go, I can't imagine it would ever be worth it.  Are you using E6000 or CA glue with zip kicker?  If you are using E6000 I can't imagine doing a build without them.  And I mean a lot of them.  I wish I used more then I did.  If you are using CA glue and zip kicker then I guess you could get away without using magnets but you better be a good builder.

Don't be afraid to do a ton of research in the build threads.  There is all the information you need there.  And use the advanced search and click "in titles only."

Good luck

• Like 1

In fact I got these off of Amazon and they are awesome.  It looks like they must be on sale because this is a great price.  I would triple this order atleast.

-----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Hello,

I appreciate the response. I have "most" of the larger pieces trimmed :) The CRL has the following stipulations and I'm trying to know where to trim for the following using the butt joint method. I don't know the trim stats for the armor OR the cover strips for each piece. I appreciate the tip on searching using titles - seems to yield more accurate results. I guess a part of my issue is 'knowing what to search for.' Any reference links are of much help. Thanks again.

Forearms must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. 

Biceps must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. 

Lower legs must be constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method. Overlap construction is not allowed.

Thighs are constructed using the butt joint and cover strip method.

• Like 1

Okay, those stipulations simply mean that you have to use cover strips with the two halves lined up immediately, or near immediately, next to each other. Once upon a time, many armor kits just overlapped, the edge of one half on top of the edge of the other and glued.

If you are looking for the width of the cover strips, that is definitely available with some searching.

Still not sure what you mean about "lengths". The length and circumference of each piece needs to be tailored to the wearer, so you won't find any specific measurements there. Post some pics up if you need specific help on a piece.

Magnets - yes they will definately be helpful. I wish I bought some, but at the end of the day I built mine without ANY, so it is possible.

• Like 1

Magnets are your best bet for assembly though some just use tape but that can get expensive.

As for the cover strips:

A common guide that has always been followed is 15mm width on arms, 20 mm width on the leg fronts, 20-25mm on leg backs.

For length on the arms, the strip should run the length of the seam top to bottom. For the thighs, the cover strips will go from the top and go UP TO and not exceed the ridge at the bottom. On the shins, the full length of the seam on the front. Since the shins are open, you will only attach the strip to the outer half, and will go UP TO and not exceed the ridge at the top.

As for the seams themselves, if the part you are working on has a raised ridge like the thigh fronts, the ridge should be the same width as the cover strip. On MTK parts like the biceps and thigh backs that don't have the ridge(which is more accurate anyway) you just need to worry about proper fitting to your body and a straight seam line.

I appreciate everyones feedback.

I think after continuing to search I've found two articles that is basically what i've been looking for. This is ESB thread but are the lengths good enough?

--------

also - I found a tutorial for thighs but i think the principles are the same for the other armor pieces:

---------------

What I was asking (and not knowing the words to ask) is what the distance i need to cut between the purple arrows is.. but for thighs, forearms, biceps, and lower legs.

9F5lPbe.png

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

What I was asking (and not knowing the words to ask) is what the distance i need to cut between the purple arrows is.. but for thighs, forearms, biceps, and lower legs.

Half the width of your cover strips.

Half the width of your cover strips.

This is the man to listen to!

So Eric if you are going to make your forearms and biceps 5/8 inch coverstrips then measure from your red arrows out 5/16 of an inch and make some marks.  Then draw a straight line connecting those marks and cut each side of the piece.  After you cut them you will put them together and that will give you your 5/8 inch connection.  You will put the 5/8 coverstrip over that and then glue it.  The thighs and shins should be 7/8 inch coverstrips. 

Of course these are the recommended widths of the coverstrips.  However, its most important to make sure you fit the parts so you can wear it.  For example, my thighs are bigger so I had to use an inch coverstrip on mine instead of 7/8.

Have you considered making a build thread?  You should so we can follow along and help you in one place along the way.

Thanks everyone.

I think doing a WIP build thread is a great idea. I'll have to take a bunch of pictures, organize my thoughts and start asking questions.

I am going to make all my front seams 20mm (10mm on each half) and dry fit them and see if they will work then and then glue them with E6000's and have someone help fit the backs.

I certainly appreciate everyones help. You all have been great!