AP Armor assembly help!

Purchased an AP set awhile back, and after watching every tutorial I could find it ended up back in the box with very minimal work finished. Every time I picked up that dang exacto knife, I just kept procrastinating for fear of screwing something up.  Basically I'm trying to find an individual or perhaps armor party in the general Kansas City area that might be willing to help point this guy in the right direction and get him started proper. Compensation would of course not be a problem. Thanks!

I was in the same position. I was looking at my armor in the box like car junkies stand around looking at a motor.

Have you made a build page?

You should at least start with just using tape to join the pieces. When you are ready to start trimming, do half of what you think. Or you could take picture of what you put together with tape and ask if your planned cut looks good.

Hope this helps

With cutting the abs, just start with smaller pieces. The arms are good. Start by trimming the curves at the ends. Make sure you use a nice sharp blade and think about where you are holding the parts in relation to where you are pull the blade. Apply moderate pressure and scribe a line into the abs where you want it to be trimmed to. You can go over it a couple of times. Cut through one end then put the blade down and apply inwards pressure to the part you want off. It should carry on coming apart following the scibe line. When you've done the ends the straight side parts should be a breeze. With the straight parts just lean on a table and pull towards you with the blade in one smooth action and it should be a fairly straight cut. Bend and snap off. Do the same on the other side.

Your first piece is done.

Once you gain more confidence it will become easier. Start slow and double think every cut before you cut.

Good luck.

Edited by sskunky

Hey. Drop HockeyTrooper a PM on this forum. He is an attaché in your Garrison area and should be able to either assist you or out you in touch with Garrison members to assist.

Do you have an untrimmed kit? If so don't fear the first cut, embrace it as you have surplus practice material to work with.

If using a blade, make the first cut away from the mould lines to see how easy it is to scribe that line, and follow the above instructions from sskunky.

Take your time, it is easier than you think and we have all been there feeling the way you do. Once you trim you first part you will wonder what all the fuss was about.

I wish you well on your build, I love my AP armour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dude.  I know the EXACT feeling.  I got my kit back in April and I am STILL looking at it in the box.  The idea of jacking it up after spending so much money on it is somewhat terrifying.  The only thing that makes it a little easier is looking at the actual film props.  Those things were jagged all over the place.  Pieces didn't fit right, rivets were super obvious, there were cracks and blemishes...  My idea going in to this was to make a kit that a real stormtrooper would wear.  THAT should be perfect.  But to make something an actor playing a stormtrooper would wear?  That should be relatively easy and a lot more forgiving.  Right...?

• 1 month later...