Red_2's NE ANH TK build ...

Next step was to re-tape the line and trace with a pencil. This will be my guide for the heat iron. If all goes smooth I'll have plenty of room to sand/clean up and have a decent return edge.

Re-tape.

25291b0e-9034-4524-baa5-09db88e4ebd1_zps

Traced line:

d4ef2960-7e4d-442d-ace0-d19707fead71_zps

I've taken to tackling small steps every other day. Let's see if I can keep up some momentum. :)

Edited by Red_2
  • Like 1

Nice job on the armor so far...i got a NE kit coming soon as well and i'm a "too short for a stormtrooper" so this has given me some ideas to make it fit.

for the rest of you guys, do you have to have a return edge on the thigh? or any part of the armor for that matter, to be approved by the 501st?

I only ask because i know i'm going to have to trim this armor way down and if i don't have to mess with a hot iron i won't.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Heat iron first pass:

Rough return edge. I tried to bend it so that the pencil mark was no longer visible from the side. See next pic.

be26dbc9-d112-455f-ba98-cde426352d2f_zps

Side view. Doesn't look too bad. Pencil line just visible at some points. Need to try on to see how it fits with the cod.

85da84bd-7b82-4197-94a0-e47ef61d7612_zps

Onward ...

• 4 months later...

Hey Ryan, glad to see you back on this build.

I wouldn't trim the cod area as its shape is like it should be (recast part from RS prop), so i would keep concentrating on the thighs. But honestly it's already looking great on your pic above.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went ahead and heat ironed the other thigh to the original line I made to match the first attempt. That way I could retape both to match them better. I think this cut should be enough. I just want a tiny bit more clearance there at the cod.

36de21e7-8ac5-4e35-a5b6-9653e720cca9_zps

Edited by Red_2

So cut made on inside edge of tape and pencil mark for return edge reference on the outside edge of the tape leaves me with this.

a51fab94-f464-4566-881e-009320660e1a_zps

First pass with the heat iron. (Sorry this pic is fuzzy.)

7d85ea62-d2b5-4be8-afbe-2096fd4dbebe_zps

From the front.

2f8c161d-8c65-49eb-a651-2d7f041875e8_zps

The top and sides of the return edge are a bit easier to fold over than the sharper curve at the bottom. This may be my lack of skill, but I think the ability to heat a larger portion of the line is lost at the curve so the heat is concentrated in points which make it less smooth.

I think a little ABS paste to fill in then sand will smooth it out.

05300b59-e0c2-4b8e-85f5-c690060fa901_zps

Did both sides this morning. From the front they look pretty good.

db57c98a-8202-420e-a158-12d2e70d5328_zps

I'll try 'em on later. Gonna trim the holes a bit so they stop rubbing hard against my knees.

I trimmed and did the ANH notch that Gazmosis posted this past weekend. Tried to do the return edge and it was a pain in the butt plate! I would do about 1-2" at a time but I ended up getting a wicked ripple effect. Basically, I was heating it up and then bending it by hand (w/ gloves on). I started sanding it down smooth but I didn't even think about trying to even it out with ABS paste. Thanks for the tip! 

Yeah, Germain I may resculpt in the future, right now I just want a more comfortable fit.

I also want to do the notch in the future, Jason! Once I know this session is successful I'm gonna move on to other details so I can apply.

I want to start wearing this thing more often. :)

So I added some ABS paste to the newly heat ironed return edge to fill in some of the grooves. Worked out okay. I did notice a couple areas where the return edge was either super thin or almost non-existent so I think I'll have to go back and add some more filler or do a little more bending.

I took dark pics so you can see the result better. White washes out with the bright light in my art room.

795901f5-e2ce-4107-8551-8949cc9143a4_zps

Much smoother with the added paste.

0c99c737-849a-475b-b936-651dcabe0db1_zps

Also I just realized there's a portion of the thighs that I trimmed that still need a return edge. Does there need to be a return edge all the way around on the thighs for certification?

7a6a8315-31c8-45c4-8f84-9d0efae6a73f_zps

Lastly, I got my detonator clips trimmed today, as recommended previously. I used an ancient band saw at work. Nice slow moving blade. Worked like a charm.

9d5c4274-80b5-4262-a4c1-457b720a7a48_zps

Hopefully I'll keep making regular progress.

After adding a little more ABS paste last night I went ahead and tried sanding this morning.

Sorry again for the fuzzy iPhone pics.

Before:

02f64fd1-b704-4a76-863d-dbc0d3a6d9c5_zps

After first run of sanding (using 400, 600, 800, 1000, and 1500 grit).

There are some tiny pits from air caught in the ABS paste, easy to smooth over in the

future:

1dfce3b4-7877-4255-bb06-fe589741bfba_zps

After a little rubbing with Meguire's Ultimate Compound:

a38c0bd7-829f-4e1d-b393-e1c70b20677d_zps

A little bit more rubbing. The side view and front view look great.

It's not a perfect smooth edge but again, I actually like the imperfect

parts of the suit. I think after looking at soooo many screen shots and

reference pics. The imperfect reminds me of the process of making the

original suits. For some reason it makes the experience really enjoyable,

which is opposite of my usual want for perfection when it comes to 

certain details.

2de92ae6-3d3a-433c-b492-a6c66e32e010_zps

I'll do the other thigh next ... oh and I found this guy on the couch this morning when I went to upload pics.

He looks cozy.

a03e0527-08e0-4b28-b6aa-d4eab73647b8_zps

Edited by Red_2

Back to some details on the upper end.

I'm going to set up the back plate and kidney for the last of the brackets.

Also need to add the lone snap on the right of the ab plate.

Need to bend the butt a little more to meet up with the cod better.

And this? Since I'm tiny the shoulder straps have a bit of excess in the back.

Do I just trust the elastic string to hold them down or do I trim them?

63474cbe-7805-4679-bd26-a5618fa4d5f1_zps

So per Germain's recommendation and photo reference below, I went ahead and installed the rest of the strapping brackets to the kidney and back plate.

Reference photo showing bracket screws used despite lack of/instead of the return edge.

med_gallery_12157_16_34895.jpg

Here's my result. A little more space than my strap/snap set up had so I may cinch up the elastic here.

1030101c-67e2-424a-9b27-37fd099485b1_zps

And something is up with my camera or Photobucket cause every picture I've posted recently is slightly out of focus. What gives?

Edited by Red_2

Careful with this picture above, there's a little defect on it. The end caps near the extremities of the belt should be almost edge to edge with the Ammo belt underneath rather than centered. A bit like that: vlcsna10.jpg

About the shoulder bridges, honestly I would leave them like that and entrust the elastic loop to keep them from floating too much. You can also heat bent them a little more.