Cutting actual vents into bucket

Hi all -- I searched the boards but didn't find anything about this topic.  After looking at the new Ep. VII buckets that were released this week, I noticed that the vents in the tubes are actually vented.  I know that they hand painted ANH and used stickers for ESB and ROTJ for the purposes of filming/budget - but my question is, has anyone ever cut actual vents into their bucket?  I am considering doing it for the tubes and the back of my bucket, but I'm a little nervous about doing it for fear of how it might look.

I had two schools of thought:

1. Cut the tubes and paint the inside with the blue color used on the stickers

2. Cut the tubes and lay a layer of frown mesh inside the bucket to give it a vented look

Has anyone ever considered or done this?  If not, what are your thoughts about it?

I'd considered it in the tears and traps, as they'd just be small straight lines, and you could paint the insides black and put mesh in place which would make it nearly completely invisible.

I don't think I'd try to mess with the tubes though. Those are rather large openings to cut and they'd be difficult to disguise. Further, the tears and traps are areas where we have issues with venting heat and condensation out of the bucket. I don't think that the tubes would provide any ventilation benefit with how close to the neck opening they are.

Also, for the record, there are Troopers out there with the tears and traps cut as I described doing above, and they swear by the benefits of doing it.

Edited by Dark CMF

I know that RT-Mod Rob did a helmet with the back traps vented, you couldn't tell it had been done. 

Stick a super thin blower fan on the inside with a black mesh cover and it's invisible but the airflow will work great I"m sure.

Well, I took your suggestion Tim and routed the tears and traps and it looks... awesome!  I stayed away from the tubes, but the rest really does look good!  Thanks for the suggestion, Tim!

Pix? I'm curious to see how it came out. I've seen it only twice in person - once was perfect (couldn't tell more than 1' away), the other not so much (bad cut lines).

Glad to hear that it worked out well Eric. Some pictures would be awesome, for sure! Congratulations, let us know how the ventilation seems to work, compared to before you did it if you don't mind.

I know that RT-Mod Rob did a helmet with the back traps vented, you couldn't tell it had been done.

I saw the same one. I asked him, when he was getting ready to pull my kit, if he could do the same ventilation/fan system in my helmet but he opted out due to the time required to do it, and his production schedule. I'm afraid to do it on my own just yet because my Dremel cutting wheel is too big and I'm afraid of destroying the bucket.

A bit of a newb question, sorry!

This seems like a good idea (tears and traps) but does it disqualify a helmet from 501st approval/EIB/centurion?

I get that you could have two helmets - just curious about how it all ties together :).

Yes it would. You can always get your EI, then cut them out. EI/Centurion are recognition programs/awards, but there is nothing saying you have to keep your costume that way once achieved.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying to this conversation.  I'm almost completed with the vents and I actually like them a lot.  I didn't take any from the back vents since I haven't touched it up yet, but I'll do them soon!  Here are a couple of the front vents!

-------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

After reading your post, I went into our bedroom and took a couple of quick photos.  You're right, you hardly notice the vents when the bucket is on.  The pics of the vents in the back are visible because I haven't painted the inside of them black yet.  

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021