My Hasbro ANH E11 Blaster Build... Please don't let me screw it up!

Zarlon

On 6/22/2014 at 1:56 AM, fuumantroop said:

I got a metallic gray paint/primer all in one combo for plastic at walmart made by krylon, and flat black made by rustoleom for my build

Thanks for the confirmation! I just got back from Home Depot and ended up getting a grey 2 in 1 for the primer layer, a metallic silver for the base layer, and flat black for the final coat. 

8kQkdP9.jpg

All of these are a paint + primer combo so I'm not really sure if I need the grey layer at the bottom. I might return that can. What do you think?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I'm in the mood to share I thought I put up some picks of the other gear I've received so far.

My ATA helmet arrived so I'll have plenty to do once I get the blaster finished.

QCchEZZ.jpg

I also got a surprise from TK boots. They originally said there was a ten week lead time on my boots but apparently they received an early shipment. I had a nice surprise in the mail yesterday  when I got home from work.

o5frdYr.jpg

While I was at Home Depot I also gave in and bought the Stanley Storage Box so I don't lose all of these things I'm buying.

CgxDjaH.jpg

Nice! I figured that if i at least get the gray/silver metallic paint and primer combo, it will be fine if all im doing is covering that up with the flat black anyways. I made some good progress today with my blaster!

Got the scope covers off yesterday, took it apart today, dremeled the trigger a bit(not 100% screen accurate but its just a hasbro anyways), dremeled the orange tip, dremeled the nozzle, and dremeled the front of the scope...i used your build mainly as a reference :)

Thanks lol!

Got the scope covers off yesterday, took it apart today, dremeled the trigger a bit(not 100% screen accurate but its just a hasbro anyways), dremeled the orange tip, dremeled the nozzle, and dremeled the front of the scope...i used your build mainly as a reference

That's good to hear! If I ever get good enough to try for Centurion I'll need to replace this blaster anyway. I want it one to look nice but if it's not perfect I wan't be too disappointed. I'm just glad it's turning out ok and I haven't screwed to up too bad :)

Edited by Zarlon

I got the new LED light installed while I was at work this week. As mentioned earlier I had help from one of our electrical engineers. He removed the old light and added a bigger and brighter LED. He also removed a resistor on the board to make it even brighter. As you can see from the photo's below the LED is actually clear until it turns on and becomes red.

Here is the old one...

yHd70a7.jpg

and here is the new one...

QdbmIs5.jpg

1BM2xHW.jpg

Ditto from above. I want a brighter LED in mine but dont know what led or resistor to get. Perhaps circle what was replaced and take close ups? I thought about getting more accurate t tracks but ive decided since this wont do for centurion anyways, to just use the pieces i have from the DD kit and make it the best that I can

I'll ask my coworker if he has the specs when I get into the office on Monday. I had a drawer full of LED's in the lab and pulled this one out of it.

I was able to make some more progress today :) My goal for the day was to drill the new holes where I had removed the rail earlier.

The first thing I had to do was move the LED wire out of the way to make sure I didn't drill through it when I drilled the new holes.

6C5rDTT.jpg

Next up was to tape this template for the holes onto the barrel of the blaster (I used the 38.1mm Tube Template LETTER Paper). I ended up cutting most of the template out and just left two rows that I taped to the side of the barrel.

kvwDp1v.jpg

From here I inserted a small drill bit into the Dremel and drilled out a hole in the center of each circle on the template.

fMTyKFE.jpg

After that it was time to drill out the rest of the holes. To do this I used a 7/16" Speedbor drill bit. I got this one at Lowes and it ended up working perfectly.

0W1a6L6.jpg

Once I installed the drill bit into the drill it was simply a matter of carefully drilling the holes. I did find that after drilling the first two holes the template fell off. It wasn't really a big deal since I had already pre-drilled a pilot hole in each spot.

***Fun game...count how many times I used the word drill in the sentences above ;)

5QvqO01.jpg

XL4b41I.jpg

After that I sanded of some of the leftover plastic, put everything away, and treated my family to a nice Thai food dinner! 

On 6/10/2014 at 4:51 PM, Zarlon said:

Well I still haven't found a solution for what happened to the electronics but I was able to make a little more progress on the gun.  I took the Dremel to the scope rail and cut out some of the plastic to make it look a little more authentic.

After I cut most everything I could with  the Dremel I took to it with a couple different files to try and clean it up a bit. I still have a little more work to do but I think it's looking pretty good.

So far this has been my LEAST favorite part of the process lol...i live in an apartment so im constricted to my man cave for all the work..and im basically sitting on the floor scraping away :/

great Idea for the new LED. I'm definitely going to try to steal that idea lol.

can you please find out what your co-worker did to the board so i can make sure i do it properly. I imagine you only need to change the resistor to make it has enough power for the current/voltage of the new LED, but just want to make sure.

great build though. great ideas.

great Idea for the new LED. I'm definitely going to try to steal that idea lol.

can you please find out what your co-worker did to the board so i can make sure i do it properly. I imagine you only need to change the resistor to make it has enough power for the current/voltage of the new LED, but just want to make sure.

great build though. great ideas.

He explained everything to me but I need to take some pictures when I get home tonight. It looks like he didn't actually remove the resistor he just bypassed it. I'll try to get a picture of how he did it and post it when I get home.

Coming along nicely :D

Thanks Glen! I'm having fun with the build and I'm learning some new things as well. It's been a win - win so far :)

OK here is what he did:

The LED is a standard 1000 Candela Red LED that he pulled from his drawer. He doesn't have any more detail than that but said you should be able to find something with 1000 Candela. 

As mentioned in the thread before this he didn't actually remove the resistor instead he soldered a jumper wire to bypass the circuit. Attached is the back of the PCB before and after so you can see exactly where he put the jumper.

BEFORE:

YyfUtdZ.jpg

AFTER:

b0YtKjw.jpg

I hope this helps!

Thanks a bunch! So it looks like he basically just added that bypass wire, and then everything else was just the same? Like connect the led to the connections that were originally attatched to the original led?

Nevermind I got it done pretty easily thanks to you! Btw, replace the AAs with these! Makes a HUGE difference in sound AND led brightness!

C0CC3A96-0D58-4E51-9D01-4121964197D4.jpg

Got this at radioshack

CEA27399-F590-4A8C-91AB-985BBA3A05DF.jpg

With the ultimate lithium AAs

6B186215-794F-494C-B167-0A8B21DB59D8.jpg

Nevermind I got it done pretty easily thanks to you! Btw, replace the AAs with these! Makes a HUGE difference in sound AND led brightness!

C0CC3A96-0D58-4E51-9D01-4121964197D4.jpg

Got this at radioshack

CEA27399-F590-4A8C-91AB-985BBA3A05DF.jpg

With the ultimate lithium AAs

6B186215-794F-494C-B167-0A8B21DB59D8.jpg

which shack LED did you buy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And not trying to hi jack your thread sir! Just offering some friendly advice on the battery. Unfortunately my LED broke off at the connection to the light :/ off to radioshack to buy another LED tomorrow...

AE6F2533-8318-496C-8C8E-53637C2A4E0F_1.j

This one..buy two if you can...like i said, mine broke..but partially because i was excited and rushed to fit the other half on to see it in the dark

Awesome! I couldn't get to my computer after I put up the post yesterday so I couldn't respond right away. I'm glad you were able to figure it out! I'll try the replacement batteries as well. Thanks for the tip!

And not trying to hi jack your thread sir! Just offering some friendly advice on the battery. Unfortunately my LED broke off at the connection to the light :/ off to radioshack to buy another LED tomorrow...

Don't worry about that at all! I just want to get as much detail as possible on this thread so others can benefit from it. I don't really care how it gets here :)

Edited by Zarlon

Great progress Kyle!!

Glad that you were able to get the electronics working again! Going to be a beauty for sure!

Thanks Tim! I don't have a ton of time to work on it so It's taking me a while but I'm enjoying the journey for sure :)