Brand Spanking New

I need help and advice . I'm a bigger girl and I have read on here that I need an AM style armor kit. But I don't know #1 what that sands for and #2 if I can convert it into a Sandtrooper armor. I have litterally only been digging into this for less than a week. But I know it's something I want to do. So if anyone has ANY and I do mean ANY advice it would be very oppreciated ! Serious I'm reading all of these forums and feeling like an idiot and like I'm flying blind . Thank you so much !

First of all, welcome!

AM = Armor Master. I think that pretty much any of the trooper armors you can get can be converted to TD (Sandtrooper) as long as it has the correct abdomen plate, which is one of the major differences from a TK (Stormtrooper). If I were you, I'd try to get in contact with AM and ask about it. If you go the AM route, I *highly* recommend picking up the lite kit (w/out helmet). The helmet that comes with those kits is way oversized and looks nothing like the screen-accurate stuff. Hit up CAP-W (Scootch on the forums) or ATA (see thread below) for the best budget friendly helmets.

Contact info for vendors can be found here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/

Don't forget to give us your rough location so we can point you to your local 501st chapter. And you'll want to check out mepd.net for all things Sandtrooper. Good luck Jess.

edit: let's hope an expert chimes in here, because let's face it -- I don't consider myself 100% in the know  :P

Edited by SolidScrafty

Hey Jess!

Welcome.

How tall are you?

I am 5'2'' and I went with an AP (Authentic Props) for both my armor and bucket. I also have an ATA helmet, as Mike mentioned, its a fantasic one for the price.

I suggest linking up with your Local Legion and learning what type of armor everyone else has. That can give you an idea of quality and soft/hardness of details.

Also, pick up a dremel and learn it (if you do not already own one/know how to use it.) Learn how to cut with it... sand with it. That has been my best [tool] investiment thus far.

Check out http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/11538-the-various-types-of-armor-and-where-to-find-them/ for all the vetted vendors.

I cannot wait to see you build a perfect set of shiny white armor and dirt it up ^_^:duim:

Greetings Jess, and welcome to the FISD!!!

You've already got some great advice, and I can't think of anything else that I'd tell you at this stage except the following:  This is not an overnight sensation sort of hobby.  Collecting parts and enduring wait-lists is the nature of the beast.  Use that time to read and research everything you could need to know about which armor to buy, how to build it, and then finally - how to properly dirty it up! 

Good luck!

Aicire ,

Thanks so much ! I'm waiting on a reply for my regions leader . I can't wait to dirty one up either !! I'm a patient person and I love projects . And thanks for the dremel advice ! I'll practice my slicing an dicing skills ! I'm 5'5" short an round :) full of love. I'll keep you updated with what is going on thank you for the welcome !!!

Hi, Jess! Welcome to the ladies in white, even if you do plan to go dirty on us. :)

AM is now the NE kit which you can find on the Legion boards but to be honest I would just go for an ATA which can be made to fit you. It's a bit of a wait but worthwhile. If it's "too small" for you (which is not uncommon for any armor) you can always add shims to extend it out. I had to add shims to my AP armor between the Ab and Kidney to account for some "extra baggage" in that area :D

While you're waiting, scroll down to some of the build threads and do a little reseaerch. Many of the questions that you'll have will have been answered by others in the process of building.

GOOD LUCK!!!

HI Jess,

Welcome to the site! My first build was a TD and now I am working towards an ESB TK.  Nonetheless, watch as many build threads as you can before start your build.  Take your time, ask as many questions as needed and send pics to describe how your build is going in case you run into hurdles.  There are no hurdles too tough.  The folks here at the 501st are the best and the most creative people I have ever seen.  They are amazing!!!  At any rate, good luck!!!  Maybe I will see you over in the sand pit.

Patrick

p.s. I will be glad to help if you have any questions.

Edited by PatrickW1074