Dyeing My Deer Stags Nolitas White

Update: The tops of these shoes aren't high enough to stay under the shins. I would recommend following the same process but with a more accurate pair.

Got these in the mail today, they are slippery as all get out from the plain flat soles on them. You can hear them slide across the carpet when you use them. Otherwise they look nice. Here are some pre-painting shots:

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

Edited by Grimez

Those boots are SLICK!!!

I find it difficult to believe the shoe company thought a super smooth sole was a good idea.

Especially with our modern hyper-vigilant safety culture.  Lawyers are standing by...

Seriously though, those look like really nice boots!!!

Edited by usaeatt2

Finally I can get started on this, my Fiebing's Deglazer just arrived in the mail today, went to Wally World, got some rags, and went to town. Used all of it both to be thorough and because i'll never use it again. Letting them sun dry for a bit now, i'll wash them when they get back in and possibly start painting tonight. We'll see how it goes.

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

I'm curious what's in this special deglazer that you couldn't just use a cheap and readily available bottle of isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirits.

I would imagine for any kind of deglazing action, there has to be a solvent involved (and that's further supported by "Caution: Flammable").

Maybe the deglazer has some kind of magic leather conditioner that prevents the leather from drying out?

Are the ingredients listed on the label?

Here they are all taped up, that was the most tedious thing i've ever done in my life.

IMG_0640.jpg

Edit: Thunderstorm is rolling in - not going to get any painting done tonight

Edited by Grimez

Checked on the boots again and they seemed completely dried, no smearing or removal when i touched/scratch at it. So I went ahead with the second coat. In comparison to Brandon's thread further down I was pretty light on my first coat so I used the paint more liberally this time around. 

IMG_0646.jpg

Nice pics :) What will you use for the stretchy parts of the boot?

[i was lucky and got my TK Boots in 2011 before they shut down for awhile.]

I'm curious what's in this special deglazer that you couldn't just use a cheap and readily available bottle of isopropyl alcohol or mineral spirits.

I would imagine for any kind of deglazing action, there has to be a solvent involved (and that's further supported by "Caution: Flammable").

Maybe the deglazer has some kind of magic leather conditioner that prevents the leather from drying out?

Are the ingredients listed on the label?

I'm not honestly sure, but apparently it doesnt dry out the leather or damage it like something generic would... haven't actually tested this, but would just rather be safe than sorry hah

And here we are, the grand reveal! I went through with an exacto knife and scored along the connection to minimize paint peeling, i will probably need to go through with a smaller brush in the areas i couldnt reach with my sponge brushes and touch it up with white and then clean up the soles with paint thinner. There wasn't any cracking or peeling that I could see when I put them on and walked around with them from what I could see.

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg