straps?

Hi William!  Like most responses when it comes to questions like "How should I do this?", the answer is:  "Depends!"

There are all sorts of different ways to do the strapping system.  Two of the main ways are brackets and snap plates.  Brackets were the original strapping used on screen armor.  These are a series of brackets attached to the return edge of armor and held together with elastic:

X1O1rlQ.jpg

There is also the snap / strap system, where snap plates are glued to the interior of the armor, and elastic straps are made to connect the two snap plates together:

4yKPUyp.jpg

I have personally went with the snap / strap system with my NE armor.  A friend of mine went the bracket route with his ATA armor.

Once you decide which method you want to use, it's a matter of looking at reference materials and examples to determine placement, and then you'll want to modify length of straps or possibly snap placement to accommodate your body shape.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks for the info. I've seen both ways on here and just trying to get as much info as possible by June when my armor will hopefully here.

You also need to take into account the armor you will get.

The bracket based system works best with the 1.5mm and thinner armors like those produced by TrooperMaster, and some other vendors. If you want to use the bracket system in the thicker 2mm armors, you will run into problems after a little while with the ABS cracking at the screw points due to the rigidity.

The bracket system is great because it makes sure that all of the armor pieces sit exactly where they are supposed relative to the next piece, without any guesswork on how long the elastics need to be and where the snap plates go. However, one thing that makes the bracket system harder is it's lack of flexibility to break down the armor for transit. With snaps you simple unsnap and you can make it fit into a smaller box. Brackets mean you would have to unscrew one side, slip the elastic off and so on. 

Don't fear this though. People who have the bracket system generally don't need to separate the pieces. You get a box long enough to fit the torso (widely available) then when packing, the arms fit inside the shins, which then fit inside the thighs, then both thighs fit inside the torso. Think of those russian nesting dolls! It is a pretty compact package, just a little longer.

So, like Ron said... "Depends!"

Both are functional, both work. Factor in your armor, how much room you have and if you want to be screen accurate inside and out.

What armor will you be getting and how thick is the plastic?

I want to say that's the thicker stuff. If this is the case I would stay away from brackets and go with snaps to prevent any cracking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My old armor is AM and it definitely is thick armor. About 3 mm I think.

Snaps work good on it, bracktes could become risky...... but impossible is nothing.

• 2 months later...

Do you need to use the bracket method for L2 and L3?  If so, where can one get a set of these for a kit

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

But please, correct me if I am wrong and it actually is the thinner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was wondering this the other day, because my armor is labeled as .09 . Through some research, I found that .09 means .09 inches. That converts to 2.286 mm.

That tells me it is the thicker armor.

Do you need to use the bracket method for L2 and L3?  If so, where can one get a set of these for a kit?

From the research I have done, NO.  It is all about how it fits on you and the details on the outside.  Inside the armor and bucket is up to you.

Take a look at the EIB and Centurian photos you will see both kinds of systems.

Tim is correct. The inside strapping means very little as far as EIB and Centurion approval. Take a look at the submission pages for both levels as well as the CRL's if you have any questions. I'd say stick with the snap/strap method. Again, the approval threads are invaluable for this as troopers have to submit pics of there strapping set-up for Centurion approval.

I have snap & strap in my NE armor and love it. Didn't use elastic straps but used 1" black nylon strapping. Works great.

This is also what was recommended to me by someone from NEG. I haven't decided which way I'm going to go yet- elastic is a little more forgiving of getting it slightly wrong, but I think strapping is best once you get the right lengths. Probably what I'll do is start with elastic and replace piecewise with webbing as I get a better idea how it wears.

The main reason to do elastic over webbing is to transfer the stress. With webbing, the stress is on the snaps. With elastic, the stress is on the elastic.

This.

I wish people just gave up on nylon straps.

This.

I wish people just gave up on nylon straps.

Oh, that's a good point. Anyway, the NE kit I have came with an assortment of elastic straps so I might as well use those. They have velcro ends, but I'll probably just drive snaps through them.

Oh, that's a good point. Anyway, the NE kit I have came with an assortment of elastic straps so I might as well use those. They have velcro ends, but I'll probably just drive snaps through them.

Keep in mind that low quality elastics wear out sooner. I don't know what kind they send you, but I doubt they pay a lot for it. And don't use the velcro. Ever.

Keep in mind that low quality elastics wear out sooner. I don't know what kind they send you, but I doubt they pay a lot for it. And don't use the velcro. Ever.

I'll probably just use them as general guides for which straps I need and the approximate size then. I'm definitely not going to use the velcro- I've already made a few dozen snap "plates" with webbing and male snaps to glue inside the armor, so I'm committed to snaps.