The BEST Paint for ALL Blasters.

bigcheesewilly

Acrylic Lacquer.

AcL is resin friendly as a primer and top coat, dries fast, re coat fast and LOVES resin.

All other paint Can alternatives are slow drying soft turpentine based products, they suck because they always remain soft and take forever to be even close to workable.

AcL is NOT for large surfaces, because it atomizes dry fast, so gloss over a flat sheet will leave (spray) banding.

That's why it is better suited to blaster type small projects.

That's fine if you want to spray 8 coats across 3 different finish to get a 'real' weathered gun metal field weapon...seriously who troops with that :blink:

That approach is about trying to get a real sterling look...which the movie blasters never were.

THE POINT, I'm making with this post is that AcL is the BEST user friendly paint system for anyone to apply to their e11.

For the new peeps who maybe confused about what paint to use...........AcL is idiot proof and affordable.

Eli

The jury is still out as to the final results of the wrinkle paint. If the AcL you speak of is truly as great as you say it is, please provide us with pics and information to where we can get it and what it looks like.  BTW, to answer your question about who troops with a blaster that went through all that effort to look like a "real" weathered gun.......a TON of people, including myself, do.

I'll be trooping with one as well...  I think that the majority of the members do troop with weathered weapons, as opposed to building them to be display pieces.

keep in mind that the real firing sterlings did not use 70's style krinkle paints. the blank firing weapons were painted

with a russian paint known as surcote.  this was primer and paint in one pass.

it produces a finish with lines and waves on it's surface.

the crinkle paint was not british issue.  all the L2A3 guns used to fire in the film were 60's style.

in the promo photos shot with the principal actors in america were 70's style crinkle police versions.

the paint used on indian, and iran and canadian made sterlings were all different types

so we see in the real world several different kinds.

a smooth finish should never be used on a star wars e-11 blaster!

and keep in mind they were not shiney! they were painted flat black

by roger christian and  karl from bapty.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Ok, ok, everyone just calm down :P

All I'm saying is that acrylic lacquer is IMHO the best paint to use for the following reasons....

It dries fast, it dries hard, it's more usable as a paint system AND it's affordable....it LOVES practically ALL plastics because it's thinner in the paint helps the paint itself to 'melt'  into the surface.

ALL paint SPRAY CANS (hardware store) unless they are acrylic lacquer are 'wet' based cheap mineral turp/chemicals that don't bind well (to surface) and don't sand well. They sit on top of the surface.

You can't buy acrylic lacquer at a hardware store, because it's used in the automotive industry.

If you want to use it, go to an auto parts store and look in their paint section.

More often than not, it's as affordable as the wet and soft alternatives.

Eli