Cover Strip Widths

So I've searched and found a few topics, but none of them really answer my question. Most talk about making thighs/forearms, etc wider, not narrower. This thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/26168-ne-build-help-with-cover-strips/?hl=%2Bcover+%2Bstrip+%2Bjoining#entry330101 has quite a spirited discussion about where the cover strip shoudl finish in regards to the ridge on the armor. This thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/21774-anh-coverstrip-method-for-eibcenturion/?hl=%2Bcover+%2Bstrip+%2Bjoining#entry271109 mentions they should be a particular size, and this thread (oops, look like I didn;t save it) mentions a different size.

Below are two quotes from Troopermaster contradicting each statement, which makes me think that there is no exact science to it.

"Only the movie suits had 20-25mm joining strips. In the replica costuming world where we have every different body shape known to man, the rules change. The joining strips should cover the ridge - period!"

"if you have a wide flat joining area then I think it looks better to have a wider strip to cover it. You don't have to cover it completely, but a wider strip looks better than a thinner strip."

Anyway, to my question - My forearms, legs, etc are quite skinny, and I think I will ned very narrow cover strips. I'm even measuring up and think I will need to cut off completely the 'flat sections' at the join of the foreams. If I end up leaving some of the ridge on, can I use a very narrow (say 8-10mm) coverstrip if I need to?

I don't want to create another argument, but as I'm using CA Glue I won;t b ble to undo errors easily - Hoping the answer will be, use common sense or whatever you need to, to make it fit or something like that.

Cheers

actually troopermaster says that some ridge showing is fine... or no ridge.

it's a judgement call on your part.

if you look at troopermaster's most recent build on facebook you can get his assembly method really well.

our debates on the topic are just that... simple discussions.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Anyway, to my question - My forearms, legs, etc are quite skinny, and I think I will ned very narrow cover strips. I'm even measuring up and think I will need to cut off completely the 'flat sections' at the join of the foreams. If I end up leaving some of the ridge on, can I use a very narrow (say 8-10mm) coverstrip if I need to?

I don't want to create another argument, but as I'm using CA Glue I won;t b ble to undo errors easily - Hoping the answer will be, use common sense or whatever you need to, to make it fit or something like that.

The flat sections (except the front ones) are here for guys who want to use the overlap method. So i would leave the 2 flat sections in the front, each ones cut to 7mm to make an 15mm cover strip in the front, and then feel free to remove them completly on the back to fit to your body but keep an 15mm cover strip though. The gluing process might just be more difficult without the flat sections and you might also need to rework a bit the inner curvature for the elbow on the forearms but that's all.

Edited by The5thHorseman

it's a judgement call on your part.

The answer I was hoping for. Thank you.

The flat sections (except the front ones) are here for guys who want to use the overlap method. So i would leave the 2 flat sections in the front, each ones cut to 7mm to make an 15mm cover strip in the front, and then feel free to remove them completly on the back to fit to your body but keep an 15mm cover strip though. The gluing process might just be more difficult without the flat sections and you might also need to rework a bit the inner curvature for the elbow on the forearms but that's all.

Perfect answer! Thank you. Hadn't thought about keeping the front and getting rid the ridge from the rear. That will work and look better I think. Cheers.

you might want to include photos and show your fitting on your legs... it will give us better ideas on how to advise.

germain is simply giving generalized suggestions... perhaps you might want a more detailed answer?

photos really helps us to give the best advice... especially when making arms and legs.

That discussion, if I remember, was based on the backside of ATA armor which has the cover strip ridges molded into the backs of the thighs and shins. These ridges are not present on RS, Troopermaster, and even MTK thighs. The original armor only had these cover strip ridges on the top side of the forearms, thighs and shins. There were no ridges on the biceps, the underside of the forearms or the leg backs. As for the ridges on the front, the should be covered, yes. 15mm strips for the arms, 20mm for the leg fronts, 25 for the backs. If you are as skinny as you say you are, this might be a moot point all together. However, we don't know who's armor you have. Consistency is the goal.

Tell us what armor you have

it is a fact that the ridges are not completely covered on screen used armor.

and if you have AP or TE derived armor ATA does have ridges on the biceps forrearms.

look at the LFL armor photos again.

shin front shows ridges seen.

gallery_12157_15_46342.jpg

thigh front showing ridges seen

gallery_12157_15_34529.jpg

the ridge tapers from top to bottom.

no ridges on bicep but with TE derived armor  i.e. AP ATA TE TE2  you need to make sure that if you cut them off

they will still fit your arms... the original armor was not made to fit larger people.

gallery_12157_16_17706.jpg

no apparent ridges on forearms, but the base size in diameter for a TE based forearm is less than 11" so if your forearms are larger than 10.5"

then if you cut off all the ridge on the TE based arm.. your arm won't fit.

gallery_12157_16_25835.jpg

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Thanks for everyones input. I'm building a MTK kit. It has ridges on all pieces, front and back, except the thighs - ridges front only.

p6CJLwj.jpg

Thinking again, I reckon the biceps are fine, still a bit worried about the forearms, but I'll have to be careful that my hand can still fit through.

PC0wjxx.jpg

Whereas the other forearm is probably ok, so might have to look for a compromise to keep them the same.

iKtEAXZ.jpg

All of the above are trimmed to allow 25mm strips based on one of the threads read. And I haven't got to the legs yet, but I'll take everything on board that's been discussed before trimming.

no apparent ridges on forearms, but the base size in diameter for a TE based forearm is less than 11" so if your forearms are larger than 10.5"

then if you cut off all the ridge on the TE based arm.. your arm won't fit.

Large part of my forearms are right on 10.5. Wrists are about 6.5.