Glue and epoxy

Hello! I've now recieved my stormtrooper MFX kit (the latest german moviefx kit), but the kit did not contained any glue.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you had any tips of what kind of glue I could use? I've heard about ABS cement, the glue that "welds" the plastic together. If I'm not mistaken, this kind of glue is present in most FX kits out there. Do anyone know if I could use this glue for my armor? I'm not sure what kind of material it's made of, so ABS cement may not work?

Do anyone have any experiences with other kinds of glue, maybe a form for "all-purpose-plastic-welding-glue"?

I've tried with Plastic Padding's Super Epoxy, but it seems that the glue wont hold good enough.

Attached is just a picture of my kit..still unassembled. I've got all my tools and materials ready, but just realized I had to get some better glue :S.

So close... :rolleyes:

With regards from a fellow trooper in Norway.

The abs cement that comes with the FX kit can be bought from any home improvement/ hardware store in the plumbing area. It takes 24 hours to set so make sure you have alot of different sized clamps on hand.

Many people (me included) use Devcon plastic welder. I can be found in the glue & caulk area and sets in about 15 minutes. It holds very well. In the 20+ event's I've done, parades included, I've never busted a seam. I have had one thigh start to split from the top but that was due to a poor glue job the first time around. Also the platic welder dries with a yellow tint so make sure you don't get any on the outside of the armor.

On my FX kit I used ABS, and it does take a while. On my new kit, I am using CA (cyanoacrylate) glue. It is essentially superglue, and it cures in about 10 minutes. If you sand both glue edges, it is the strongest hold I have ever seen. You can usually find it a local model shops, and they also normally come in three "flavors", slow, medium, and fast. This speaks to the flow in which the glue comes out. I am using Medium for the most part; Slow on the insides of my shins for extra filling and bonding power. Here is a link to one source:

-----

Hope this helps,

Scott

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

A side note on CA glue. While it does have a great bond, if your armor ever gets cold CA glue gets brittle and can pop loose. This is true for almost all glues, but CA glue seems to be more sensitive than most.

If your going to go with CA glue check at local hardware stores and large hobby shops as you ca buy a pint for what a few small tubes cost.

A side note on CA glue. While it does have a great bond, if your armor ever gets cold CA glue gets brittle and can pop loose. This is true for almost all glues, but CA glue seems to be more sensitive than most.

Wow, I have not heard of that. Great info.

Thanks for all help so far!

The abs cement that comes with the FX kit can be bought from any home improvement/ hardware store in the plumbing area. It takes 24 hours to set so make sure you have alot of different sized clamps on hand.

Many people (me included) use Devcon plastic welder. I can be found in the glue & caulk area and sets in about 15 minutes. It holds very well. In the 20+ event's I've done, parades included, I've never busted a seam. I have had one thigh start to split from the top but that was due to a poor glue job the first time around. Also the platic welder dries with a yellow tint so make sure you don't get any on the outside of the armor.

A question about the ABS cement particular, it sounds like it's something that only works with ABS plastic, do you know if it'll work for other plastic types?

Thank again all for the tips :P

I believe he used Dev Con Plastic Welder which is found at Wal-Mart

You are correct. You'll need 3 tubes for a set of armor depending on how much you are going to velcro vs glue.

Not too far off the subject but about how many clamps will be needed and what sizes ? Thanks

http://www.wolfcraft.com/display_product.c...t=1&group=7 get a bunch of these at lows or home depo, the small ones work wonders on the helmet and the large ones are great for the legs and arms