Paypal Question

Is there a recommended guideline to follow when using Paypal to pay for goods? When making a Paypal payment the buyer must choose to send the money for goods/ services  or send it as a family/ friend. If you send the money choosing goods/services the seller must absorb the additional charges from Paypal and the buyer absorbs the fee if sending as a family/friend. 

It gets confusing as to which way is preferred to send the payment. Is there a guideline we should follow regarding this? So far all of my transactions on the FISD have been smooth but I have an issue at present on the MEPD with a seller not responding or sending the product I paid for. I chose the family/friend method  and paid the additional fee thinking it was a kind gesture not to make the seller pay. Unfortunately if you send money this way, there is no way to file a claim as far as I know. If the seller pays the fee then there is some protection for both parties from what I have heard and read. 

Please correct me if I am wrong about this. I just want to know if there can be some guideline to follow for the buyer and seller using Paypal. Should the seller state in their sales thread or through PM which way to send the money?

(I had a good experience with a purchase from a MEPD member who sent an invoice through Paypal and this was by far the easiest and clearest way. Not sure how this is done but thought that might add to the topic for future thought. )

As far as I know there is not set rule, there is a guideline..and that states that you should pay for goods and services, as that puts you in a better position if a claim comes up (like your situation).

If the seller asks that you pay "friends and Family", an alternative to that might be to pay that extra amount which will cover the fees..I myself though have never ever had any problems with either form of payment..hope your case gets solved quickly:-)

Actually if you read the header of the for sale section it explains clearly

and I quote

Please note when paying for any product and/or services:

PayPal is always going to be a safe way to send any payment. However, you must understand never to send any payment via the "Gift" option for any product, work or services.  PayPal will not cover any transaction under the "Gift" option at all.  So, you will not have any recourse with PayPal if you have a problem with the person you are dealing with.  It may cost you a few dollars more to send your payment under "Goods" or "Services", but in the long run it will cover you if you do have any problems arise with the transaction.  

NOTE: You have a 90 window with PayPal to file a dispute/claim.

Never send cash and/or money orders.  These can easily be lost and never the reach the proper person. Plus you have no record for any recourse.
Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Thanks guys. I think I get it now regarding the fee. I will add the extra 4% fee on top of the cost and send as goods from now on.

Thanks Vern, I read that part but just wanted to make sure since the option is no longer listed as gift when I send money via paypal. I feel quite silly now knowing the solution. I just kept thinking you had to straight up put the price in and choose either payment method, absorbing the fee or passing it on to the seller as Paypal states.

Soren, hoping my stuff gets sent someday but I guess it is a lesson learned if not.

Appreciate everyone's advice!

I like to use sites such as http://www.paypalfeescalculator.com/ when sending larger amounts of money. It will calculate exactly how much extra you need to send when using the goods and services option for the seller to receive the right amount.

There are many more sites that does the same. Just google "paypal fee calculator".

But I have nothing against if people round the sum the amount up for some extra tip ;)

And don't forget: the paypal protection works both ways.

I never had any troubles in the past 5 years.

A few packages got lost, several were delayed, but that's it.

Open and constant communication is the key!

I like to use sites such as http://www.paypalfeescalculator.com/ when sending larger amounts of money. It will calculate exactly how much extra you need to send when using the goods and services option for the seller to receive the right amount.

There are many more sites that does the same. Just google "paypal fee calculator".

Thanks for the tip Locitus! Bookmarked.

Karin, very kind of you to do that but when I get around to ordering some hand guards I will add the extra on for you!