Build timeline question

Hey guys,

I registered here a while back, but have mostly been lurking and absorbing information. I bought a used set of FX armor (I know, I know) back before I registered and found that it's crap, but it's what I've got. When I bought it, I told myself I'd have it done by Halloween and haven't started building it yet. I realize it's crunch time now, and I feel like once I get started it won't take me long, but I had a question come up in my mind today that I haven't seen a solid answer on yet.

My question is this: Realistically, how many working hours does it take to put together the armor?

My realization that it's down to the wire time-wise is making me feel like I won't be able to get it done by the end of the month, what with moving and spending time with my son and my girlfriend, but I'd sure like to have it done!

So, have any of you actually kept track of working time as far as assembly and fitment? How long did it take you?

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) answering!

~Justin

I would guesstimate to say any where from 80-150 hours. Depends on how much work you need to do and how meticulous (anal) you are. I took about 95 hours. I got my AP kit in the middle of June and received my 501st # at the end of July. Keep in mind this is assuming you have most of the materials/tools required when you start.

On a side note, if you use CA glue you could probably manage on the faster side. E-6000 takes 18-24 house to cure before moving on. Personally I would recommend E-6000 if this is your first build. Only for the reason it takes a while to set and you can always pull the joints apart down the road.

Hi!

First of I just want to tell you that I did the exact same thing with the armor. It is a bit irritating but you learn to live with it (sort of). Anyway to the question. I'd say it depends mainly on how you define working hours. Just building, gluing and sewing pieces I'm looking at maybe 30h the past year and if you count all the time on research that are directly linked to the building process I'm probably up to... lets say 200 - 300 hours. However I have done many upgrades that are not required and furthermore I am in no hurry whatsoever since I still have 5 months... But if you have a trimmed FX with all the pieces you need I'd say that it will be very much possible to get a functional armor ready if you have done all research and know how to work beforehand. If you haven't done your homework I would say that it might be possible but then your on a tight schedule :P 

Good luck with the build and please PM me if you have a question concerning the armor  ;)

People build at different speeds, my armor took 6 months of waiting so I pretty much did all my research and ground work before it got here, from the start to the finish of the build and approval took me two weeks. Good luck with the build

Since i'm screen height but have an AM its taken about 2 months (if I had worked on it every day cutting and heat gunning it down to fit me perfectly) but I could probably get an ATA done in a week, if with enough clamps and all the snaps and stuff in possession.

The e6000 cure time, lack of many clamps and magnets, and waiting for things to be delivered is where the bulk of the time comes from.

Whatever happens enjoy the build while you're doing it. It's sorta like your kids growing up, when they're older you'll miss the time when they were a cute baby. I wanted to do another one as soon as I was done with mine ;)

-Eric