Testors paint thinner melting plastic

gazmosis

So I will throw this out there.........who, besides no one, has had testors (or any other mineral sprits based thinner) affect their armor in ANY way???? Testors is made with mineral spirits. If Testors melted plastic, they would not recommend it to dilute your paint with it and apply it to your plastic. Last night,  I took a bottle of thinner and immersed a strip of ABS and let it there for an hour. It never even took the finish off the plastic. I did that with acetone, and it IMMEDIATELY turned the ABS into a paste, WHICH IS WHY WE DON:T USE ACETONE FOR ANYTHING AROUND THE ARMOR!!!!

I have built a few helmets in my day. I have used thinner to wipe down helmets, remove adhesive residue, remove mold release on the inside, and have never had an issue. Has anyone else????????

THIS bit of information has now been filed away for when my kit finally arrives some day.  NO ACETONE ANWHERE near it.

Thanks for sharing!  I'd puke if I watched some chemical start eating my armor.  I just know it.

I left polyethylene (stuff model car kits are made of in a bowl of thinner and it melted like creamer in coffee in about an hour. I would assume hips would too but there shouldn't be any problems thinning paint. It'd have to be full strength to have any effect. Bonus factoid: you can use Everclear in many cleaning ways and I use it to catch a buzz while soaking my paint brushes in a glass of it