Mounting Your Mic In You Helmet

I recently purchased my Aker mic and speaker and at my first troop, I found that I couldn't get my helmet on without knocking it off my ear. My helmet fits kind of snug, so I was forced to figure a way to mount the mic inside the helmet. A couple of fellow troopers suggested using wire cutters to clip off the "head band" off the mic, but I don't want to damage anything permanently. I also wanted to be able to easily remove the mic to clean the helmet or if I need to transfer the electronics to another helmet in the future. 

Here's what I did: 

I picked up about 2 feet of clear plastic tubing from Lowe's. You can buy it by the foot. Total cost = about $3.00.-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working
  • Like 1

Bravo Adam!

I'll definitely keep this in mind when my armor arrives.  I've got a huge "plan" for the interior of my helmet, but this will certainly be a great startup while I research, and learn the skills required for what I want to do!

Thanks for sharing.

Do you, by any chance, use the helmet with fans? I'm asking this because even if I find this a great idea and would probably do the same when I get my helmet, dropping a couple of fans inside might get in the way of the mic.  :wacko: I'm one of those that will definitely need to have fans installed or my glasses will fog up... lol

Do you, by any chance, use the helmet with fans? I'm asking this because even if I find this a great idea and would probably do the same when I get my helmet, dropping a couple of fans inside might get in the way of the mic. :wacko: I'm one of those that will definitely need to have fans installed or my glasses will fog up... lol

I do not have fans in my helmet just yet; however, the mic runs along the bottom of the helmet and is very out of the way. I bought the tube thinking that I could run fan wires in that as well. I don't think you would have a problem. If I add fans to my helmet, I will update thread with new photos.

That idea looks great, im planning to do something like that in my new Sandtrooper helmet.

Hey Pedro, im from the Portuguese Outpost, who´s helping you building your stormtrooper?

You can chek the picture of my helmet with mic and fans.

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 9/9/2013 at 11:08 PM, HeyItsAdam said:

I do not have fans in my helmet just yet; however, the mic runs along the bottom of the helmet and is very out of the way. I bought the tube thinking that I could run fan wires in that as well. I don't think you would have a problem. If I add fans to my helmet, I will update thread with new photos.

Alrighty, will be on the lookout! :) Keep up the good work!

On 9/10/2013 at 6:26 PM, luismfm70 said:

That idea looks great, im planning to do something like that in my new Sandtrooper helmet.

Hey Pedro, im from the Portuguese Outpost, who´s helping you building your stormtrooper?

You can chek the picture of my helmet with mic and fans.

-----------

Hey Luis! Valter is. So far so good! :)

Edited by gmrhodes13

FYI, If you take the pad on the aker mic where the hard wire joins the electrical wire you will see some tiny screws. If you unscrew those you can remove the hard wire. Then screw it back together. I do that and then velcro in the base inside the helmet. I only do that when i use the wireless system. 

If I don't want to use the wireless system then i bend the hard wire to fit my head better. It is very tough and I have yet to break one from bending it. I bend the ears forward so that they wrap more around my ears in the front and the back of the wire is tight against my head. Also, when i twist on my bucket I put the mic foam tip between my lips. I hold it there until my bucket is on. Then i gently push it out with my lips. That way it is in the perfect spot to pick up my voice. 

Also, when i twist on my bucket I put the mic foam tip between my lips. I hold it there until my bucket is on. Then i gently push it out with my lips. That way it is in the perfect spot to pick up my voice. 

I'm using that idea now! Always had to try and get it right with my hands after the bucket was on.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...

JIM !!! Ladies and Gents.... The man himself thats responsible for making most of us sound authentic ! Great idea from all , Im just getting ready to add Jims product and will have to decide what to do, know I have 2 great ideas !